The "Complain About Your School" Thread

TotallyNotHuman

On 5/8/2017 at 3:40 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

Someone in my class just said his favorite aircraft was the Airbus 747.

I'm done.

Come on, such things happen. Tell him his mistake but don't be a <REDACTED> about it.

I myself confused Harley and Chopper, I thought Harley is a type of bike and Chopper is a brand.

I said things like: "Nice Yamaha Harley you got there" or "Don't buy a Chopper, you're paying just for the name"

Edited by Frybert
Language

On 5/8/2017 at 3:46 AM, Physics Student said:

Come on, such things happen. Tell him his mistake but don't be a <REDACTED> about it

I see what you mean, but the thing is that that kid is so stupid (sorry, but it's true), that it simply can't be a one-time slip up. :) 

Oh, @NSEP During your "wwII unit" thing that you described earlier, did they talk about the Japanese camps in the US? Cause that's another thing from that time, and is really often glossed over..

In the American school system, I find the history ... biased. Then again, all history is.

On 1/30/2017 at 5:18 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

...At least not for the party that won [the war], and they're the ones who wrote the books.

Something that came out of one of my discussion threads in PM. Sounds about right.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Oh, @NSEP During your "wwII unit" thing that you described earlier, did they talk about the Japanese camps in the US? Cause that's another thing from that time, and is really often glossed over..

In the American school system, I find the history ... biased. Then again, all history is.

No they did not, sadly. They did not want to mention the war outside Europe for some odd reason.

well, I'm the smartest person in my class (actually true!!!)

and dumb people ask me, how do you do this and that, and its really darn annoying!!!

also when I try to teach them something, there like, "wait, what did you say?" *sigh*

My school has one good thing about it though and that there are nobody bullying people.(Yay!!!)

(also, im not a total nerd i actually have heaps of friends at my school)

Edited by Shadow Wolf56

11 hours ago, qzgy said:

History IS written by the winners, to be fair.

At least in my part of 'Merica they taught about all aspects of the war - allies, axis, dog bombs, strategy, causes going back several decades, and more.

11 hours ago, qzgy said:

Oh I know! Literally the only thing American schools teach about WWII was "Hitler was mean, Messed with Russia, (15 units on Pearl Harbor) Japan bombed us, and we kicked their sorry S to kingdom come! The end."

12 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Oh I know! Literally the only thing American schools teach about WWII was "Hitler was mean, Messed with Russia, (15 units on Pearl Harbor) Japan bombed us, and we kicked their sorry S to kingdom come! The end."

For our state requirments, we didn't even have to know what the Doolittle Raid was, the battles for Iwo Jima (Any of them really), the campaign in Italy, or that the Soviets did anything. Nor did we need to know about the Battle of Britain. But my history teacher decided to teach us what they were. 

1 minute ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

For our state requirments, we didn't even have to know what the Doolittle Raid was, the battles for Iwo Jima (Any of them really), the campaign in Italy, or that the Soviets did anything. Nor did we need to know about the Battle of Britain. But my history teacher decided to teach us what they were. 

Doolittle Raid? There was more than one Iwo Jima raid?

America's like "Yeah so there was a war in Europe. Then Japan bombed us. Then... D-DAY HAPPENED!!! IT WAS EPIC AND COOL AND IT KILLED HITLER AND EVERYTHING! Then yeah, everyone surrendered."

2 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

D-DAY HAPPENED!!! IT WAS EPIC AND COOL AND IT KILLED HITLER AND EVERYTHING!

That's mostly from Saving Private Ryan. Give it a little time, and maybe everyone will know what Dunkirk was.

1 hour ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

That's mostly from Saving Private Ryan. Give it a little time, and maybe everyone will know what Dunkirk was.

I only know of Dunkirk from EnterElysium. (WE WANT WWK BACK!) Also, I've got a book on WWII. Just got to when Hitler didn't play nice with Finland. Or was it Norway...

Anyway, as the OP I might as well throw my own experience with my school out there.

Similar to @Just Jim's tale, I have a deep, burning hatred of the principal (his actual title is called "Director of Instruction", which makes him look like a bigger cheese than he is) of my middle school. What's worse, I'm experiencing this right now. :mad:

He is no better than a money-mongering middle manager. (Hey, that alliterates! :P)

On conference day, he literally said to my parents "[my real name] is not mature enough to go to a boarding school; therefore he should stay at [current school] for two more years and then transfer".

Excuse me? If you even bothered to walk in on one of my classes, you'd quickly notice that I'm far more mature than most. Those kids snigger at the very mention of genitals, and I'm not mature enough??? :mad:

Translation: "I haven't plundered your parents' wallet enough with my US$10k per year, therefore your child should stay here for two more years so I can reap it further".

We continued to apply to boarding schools, but the paperwork had not been turned in prior to the deadline; some were turned in days before the admission decisions were sent out.

Needless to say, I did not get snapped up by my school of choice. Or any school, for that matter. ;.;

I'm currently in rolling admission, and are working so that I can go to my school of choice. I will not be deterred. My goal is to walk in on the last day of school, sporting a mulch-eating grin, present my acceptance letter to the principal, and laugh in his face as he turns as purple as an eggplant.

Edited by TotallyNotHuman_
s/-/,/

22 hours ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Doolittle Raid? There was more than one Iwo Jima raid?

America's like "Yeah so there was a war in Europe. Then Japan bombed us. Then... D-DAY HAPPENED!!! IT WAS EPIC AND COOL AND IT KILLED HITLER AND EVERYTHING! Then yeah, everyone surrendered."

I'm more impressed by the Battle off Samar than D-Day, since it was one of few engagements where the Allied force (mainly US, in the Pacific) was wholly unprepared. They were also defending the landings at Leyte from a battle group which had four battleships... and they actually succeeded, albeit at high cost. Of course they couldn't sink the battleships, but they did concinve them to turn back.

Got some points taken off on a quiz question. It was about not seeing an object in a dark room even though it's emitting radiation. I said that the reason why we could not see it was it was not emitting radiation in the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. That's correct.

Got points taken off because I did not mention anything about infrared radiation. 

18 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

Got some points taken off on a quiz question. It was about not seeing an object in a dark room even though it's emitting radiation. I said that the reason why we could not see it was it was not emitting radiation in the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. That's correct.

Got points taken off because I did not mention anything about infrared radiation. 

What? That's ridiculous, you got the question right. 

My physics teacher is awful we NEVER learn anything. the only thing she does is saying read page 43 (only takes 5 minutes) and do nothing for in the rest of the lesson

Edited by rkarmark

This isn't a complaint with the teachers, but the students. They seem to be the most dirty-minded idiots to ever walk the planet. And also, there's this thing going around where everyone makes a 'HUH' noise, so whenever a member of the guys group walks in the classroom, it sounds like 500 hippos are trying to mate. The language is dreadful as well. It seems like these people can't have a sentence without an F-bomb or some kind of offensive word. And to top it off, they are LOUD. My mom says I'm not hearing her because of my headphones. I know it's because I stay on a bus with these idiots.

Dark out.