KSP In Stereoscopic 3D

I think it would be pretty cool to explore Kerbal Space Program, in stereoscopic 3D (red and blue). I know VR has been mentioned before but that requires significantly more work and development than this. Would help give a sense of scale and depth especially while in orbit, landing or just in general flying.

What's everyone's thoughts?

if it could be implemented properly, that would be really cool. By properly, I mean that the actual judgement of scale and distance is intuitive enough and accurate enough for our normal 3d to work.

Although, it may be a pain to share videos if you start to play exclusively in stereoscopic.

13 minutes ago, qzgy said:

if it could be implemented properly, that would be really cool. By properly, I mean that the actual judgement of scale and distance is intuitive enough and accurate enough for our normal 3d to work.

Although, it may be a pain to share videos if you start to play exclusively in stereoscopic.

Likely just have a setting to output it to one of two monitors if players want a normal version.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Likely just have a setting to output it to one of two monitors if players want a normal version.

But then you would have to assume that people have two monitors, and the graphics capability to run it.

I like this idea to happen but i think they should implement it now as a turn on and off feature instead of VR and when they have Developed the VR Capability , they should Absolutely , Replace it with VR . 

That's my opinion

Edited by Space_taco

15 hours ago, Space_taco said:

I like this idea to happen but i think they should implement it now as a turn on and off feature instead of VR and when they have Developed the VR Capability , they should Absolutely , Replace it with VR . 

That's my opinion

You can't add a feature and then remove it again. That would lead to community backlash.

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, juanml82 said:

But how much depth would we get? If you have a ship in orbit, all you get is a ship. It's not a character in an urban setting with city blocks extending into the horizon

There's always a planet- plus you make it stand further out from the skybox. 

5 hours ago, Alshain said:

You can't add a feature and then remove it again. That would lead to community backlash.

well the first part " You can't add a feature and then remove it again" is wrong because you see back when KSP was a prototype squad removed mun and re-added it.

also what do you think is better? , Stereoscope 3D or VR?

1 hour ago, Space_taco said:

well the first part " You can't add a feature and then remove it again" is wrong because you see back when KSP was a prototype squad removed mun and re-added it.

also what do you think is better? , Stereoscope 3D or VR?

Which one can Squad get out faster?

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Which one can Squad get out faster?

Probably Stereoscopic 3D , btw i saw someone on youtube modify the game files to make it compatiable with Oculus VR , how is that possible?

Edited by Space_taco

32 minutes ago, Space_taco said:

Probably Stereoscopic 3D , btw i saw someone on youtube modify the game files to make it compatiable with Oculus VR , how is that possible?

I can make just about any game work with the oculus rift. They likely just won't be '3D' or well adapted. 

Most OR games just take the game window and display it as a large screen in the headset so it appears more detailed- when in reality it's just the default game window blown up to greater size and displayed in the OR. 

Its the same way YouTube displays google cardboard for normal videos. 

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I can make just about any game work with the oculus rift. They likely just won't be '3D' or well adapted. 

Most OR games just take the game window and display it as a large screen in the headset so it appears more detailed- when in reality it's just the default game window blown up to greater size and displayed in the OR. 

Its the same way YouTube displays google cardboard for normal videos. 

oh

7 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

There's always a planet- plus you make it stand further out from the skybox. 

But the planet is just at the background, the same applies to the skybox. There is no perspective.

IIRC this happened by accident once upon a time due to a steam update.

Image result for kerbal space program blue and red 3d

The user in question reported that the game worked fine, but using the glasses gave him a headache after a while.

EDIT: Another pic.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

27 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

IIRC this happened by accident once upon a time due to a steam update.

The user in question reported that the game worked fine, but using the glasses gave him a headache after a while.

EDIT: Another pic.

Well even when optimized the stereoscopic view can still cause eyestrain over a long period of time.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.