What kinds of snacks would Kerbals have?

heathestus

Hello! I was wondering what kinds of snacks Kerbals would have. I know that there have been references to snacks before, and with the kerbalization of names in the Kerbalverse, I was wondering what those snacks would be called? The reason I am asking is because I am writing a technical document for a college course about the necessities of a successful mission to an extra-planetary body and back, so of course I am going to have a page dedicated to the thing that drives Kerbals on the most: Snacks. Unfortunately, besides the obligatory generic 'Snacks' snack, I am drawing a blank. What are your thoughts or ideas?

It turns out that all of Kerbin is just a monoculture of one particular flowering shrub whose fruit comprises the entire kerbal diet.

The name of this fruit, in Kerbalese, simply translates as "snack".

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Cheese!!  Glorious cheese!  And any kind of cheese-based snacks!  :D

Yup, and lest we forget, cheese puffs, cheese balls, cheese in a can, and what to they eat for desert? Well, cheesecake, of course! :D

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

cheesecake, of course! :D

From Minmus!

Come on. We all know that Kerbals only eat one dessert, and every time they want it, the KSC has to launch a huge exploration vessel to mine the dessert from the surface of Minmus.

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Corned beef sandwiches, for one.

Other than that, I suspect at least one Kerbal fast food place offered Minmus-themed mint ice cream to commemorate the first landing there*. You can also try looking at what astronauts on the ISS eat: you tend to see a lot of focus on non-perishable items which are easy to open and consume in zero-gravity while producing minimal debris.

*I personally go for a less cartoony interpretation of how Kerbals work, without this "we thought Minmus was actually dessert" nonsense. Still, you know it would be commercialized, somehow.

There's some videos out there about food preparation in space, and how much it's improved since the early days.

I'm also now wondering if any astronauts have commemorated an anniversary of the corned-beef-sandwich incident by having a corned beef sandwich... probably on a low-crumb tortilla.

Well, to be a bit more serious, when you are in the weightlessness of space your sinus get congested. Snacks would have to be spicy and bold, otherwise you are not going to taste them. So maybe something like a Blackened Bop Karken taco with sriracha sauce and cilantro jalapeno slaw .

Jerk Kraken

Spoiler

Octopus-on-BBQ-.jpg

(That's both and an epithet, and a dish.)

And Minm-ice as dessert

Spoiler

1904_original.jpg

Also, trivial Kerburgers with untrivial KatchUp sauce.
When they drop it off, they katch it up.

Edited by kerbiloid

Noses! Chili lime green fried and smoked noses

Plucked fresh daily from the fields of new recruits.. Snap frozen after picking

Fried on launch in the ovens below the launchpad and smoked to perfection

The official snack of the kerbal space program - made from you 

On ‎2‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:52 AM, adsii1970 said:

Yup, and lest we forget, cheese puffs, cheese balls, cheese in a can, and what to they eat for desert? Well, cheesecake, of course! :D

Cheese! For everyone!? 

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.