What kinds of snacks would Kerbals have?

heathestus

40 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Good God, no! Take it from someone who ate those things for nearly 18 months. If you like your Kerbals you do not feed them MREs. :huh:

Then toothpaste-based food or dried consumables, just like on ISS. The myth that MRE taste is bad is when they're being first introduced on the 80's, since then, they've become better and more edible. But yeah, carrying military ration to space isn't quite right (Though in real life, I found MRE quite tasty, sometimes I ask for second :) )

Edited by ARS

18 minutes ago, ARS said:

Then toothpaste-based food or dried consumables, just like on ISS. The myth that MRE taste is bad is when they're being first introduced on the 80's, since then, they've become better and more edible. But yeah, carrying military ration to space isn't quite right (Though in real life, I found MRE quite tasty, sometimes I ask for second :) )

I was in the service from 1989 to 1996. The only things decent were the maple nut bar, beef stew, and spaghetti with meat sauce. But during Desert Storm, we were given lots of chili mac and tuna casserole. (Shudders)...

2 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Good God, no! Take it from someone who ate those things for nearly 18 months. If you like your Kerbals you do not feed them MREs. :huh:

When I was in the Army in Germany (1980-1982), and please bear with me, this is actually more or less on-topic, I was stationed in an infantry battalion and drove an M-113 armored personnel carrier. One of these things:

J6ObqJf.jpg

Now I'll admit I ate fairly good when we were home on base. But at any given moment we could be called on alert, and have to pack up and go... somewhere... never really knew where, for as long as 8-10 weeks. And let me tell you, when they do it to you in mid-February, it put's a whole new spin on winter camping! You really did live inside the APC, if the heater works, as much as possible. 

As for food on an alert or field problem, if we were lucky, we would be set up reasonably close to a mess truck... which would be more or less edible... and hopefully not too cold. But most of the time we lived on C-rations... yum, yum....  C-rations are a unique experience, and what we had to survive on before the MRE came along. :P

Now APC's have very little space in back, and what isn't equipment is most often a crew of 4-6 all trying to squeeze in around it. But all APC's in my battalion, including mine, made as much room as we could for one extra wooden ammo box, or whatever could scrounged up.

And this extra box would be crammed full of snacks... and salt and pepper... and instant coffee, sugar and powered creamer... and especially hot sauce (which does wonders for C-rations), and cans of whatever could survive for a few weeks, like little Vienna sausages and sardines... I actually grew to love those little buggers... and anything else that was small and durable... nothing like chips in a bag... they'd never survive a day. But any kind of food in a can or small container that one could open and eat cold, if necessary... and that wasn't a C-ration. 

I can imagine a small space ship with limited space, and being stuck on some form of rations, doing much the same.

Edited by Just Jim

On the topic of MRE's.....

I went to Six Flags on a Boy Scout trip once. I specifically remember that day because it was a typical Texas summer day (Read: OHMYGOD HOW HAS THE WORLD NOT CAUGHT FIRE IT'S SO HOT). Everything started out great! We had fun, and when we got to a snackbar, I realized something. Someone had lifted my 20 bucks. So if you don't know, I've got the most incredible metabolism in the world. I can eat like 25 pounds of food and gain maybe an ounce- if that much. And at this time I was like 11? 12? Either way, I was at the peak of my eating career. So there I was, no food, no money, starving in the middle of a theme park. Then one of the senior scouts realizes: We have MRE's in the van! So we rush out there, but then someone says "We only brought the kind you can cook." So that puts a big problem on the situation. When we get out to the van, (Remember that 'regular Texas summer day' thing?) the van is scorching hot inside. It was so hot, we couldn't even grab the MRE without feeling like we got our hands burnt off. Since we figured it was already pretty well-cooked (I mean hey, it survived a Texas summer in a van for like 8 hours; it got overdone.) I decided to eat it. It was some sorta beef thingy (Not sure what) but either way, it was delicious to my hungry 11/12-year-old self.

And so that's the story of how an MRE and Texas saved my life!

Moral of the story? Don't diss the MREs.

(Note: The internet crashed, and I had the heart attack of a lifetime, thinking my mini-essay had been deleted. THANK YOU FORUMS!)

Edited by DarkOwl57

2 hours ago, Just Jim said:

When I was in the Army in Germany (1980-1982), and please bear with me, this is actually more or less on-topic, I was stationed in an infantry battalion and drove an M-113 armored personnel carrier. One of these things:

J6ObqJf.jpg

Now I'll admit I ate fairly good when we were home on base. But at any given moment we could be called on alert, and have to pack up and go... somewhere... never really knew where, for as long as 8-10 weeks. And let me tell you, when they do it to you in mid-February, it put's a whole new spin on winter camping! You really did live inside the APC, if the heater works, as much as possible. 

As for food on an alert or field problem, if we were lucky, we would be set up reasonably close to a mess truck... which would be more or less edible... and hopefully not too cold. But most of the time we lived on C-rations... yum, yum....  C-rations are a unique experience, and what we had to survive on before the MRE came along. :P

Now APC's have very little space in back, and what isn't equipment is most often a crew of 4-6 all trying to squeeze in around it. But all APC's in my battalion, including mine, made as much room as we could for one extra wooden ammo box, or whatever could scrounged up.

And this extra box would be crammed full of snacks... and salt and pepper... and instant coffee, sugar and powered creamer... and especially hot sauce (which does wonders for C-rations), and cans of whatever could survive for a few weeks, like little Vienna sausages and sardines... I actually grew to love those little buggers... and anything else that was small and durable... nothing like chips in a bag... they'd never survive a day. But any kind of food in a can or small container that one could open and eat cold, if necessary... and that wasn't a C-ration. 

I can imagine a small space ship with limited space, and being stuck on some form of rations, doing much the same.

Not to mention US D-ration chocolate. World War II American D Rations were bars of chocolate that were essentially bricks that tasted like cardboard. They were so hardy that they were used in a tactic to feed trapped pockets of your own soldiers, firing "D shells" from heavy artillery that deployed parachutes. Apparently they could survive even if the chute didn't deploy. Actually eating the D-rations requires some work as just biting straight into a bar would more than likely break a few teeth.

On 5/1/2017 at 10:11 PM, Ty Tan Tu said:

Snacks would have to be spicy and bold, otherwise you are not going to taste them. So maybe something like a Blackened Bop Karken taco with sriracha sauce and cilantro jalapeno slaw .

No toilet paper in space, bud. :o

You might wanna skip that one.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:16 AM, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

No toilet paper in space, bud. :o

You might wanna skip that one.

We can land on the moon, Create a 30000 Ton Space Station In High Kerbin Orbit, Create a Duna colony, Land in Jool. BUT WE CANNOT ABSOLUTELY HAVE TOILET PAPER IN SPACE, It's just scientifically Impossible.

My personal favorite snack:

Image result for gardettos

Honestly, if not the kind of snacks I eat, then for some reason I pictured Kerbals as having boxes and boxes of some sort of granola bar-esque nutrition bar as the default "snack." In my mind's eye, the wrapper is green. That's about all I can offer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.