How Were You First Introduced to KSP?

JYNg

The title says it all: how were you first introduced to KSP? And got you hooked so much that here you are, in the forum, reading this post?

In my case, I am a big fan of management and simulation games. At one point I was playing Minecraft and I was on the internet searching for games similar to Minecraft. Came across a website that described KSP as 'The Minecraft for Rockets and Space' and the rest is history. 

I've been playing KSP intermittently since 2014. My steam account says I've accrued 113 hours (actual number should be higher, considering sometimes I'm offline and excluding the hours I've spent playing the earlier non-Steam versions). Every now and then my work would take me away from KSP up to months, but this is the one and only game that I keep finding myself coming back to.

A friend of my Mom's introduced it to me when I quit my other flight simulator. That was back in 1.0. I've been hooked ever since, and after figuring out how to install mods in July of 2015, my KSP experience has never been better. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Just now, Shadow Wolf56 said:

Well, back in 2014, My brother was watching a Scott Manley Vid and he liked it so he then bought ksp on steam, I played the game and then bought ksp on my steam account. and have been playing ksp ever since

Do you remember which one?

At first, I'm reading tvtropes website. Then I came across an article that jool is an eldritch location of KSP, which leads me to danny2462's video of messing around in solar system. Then I try to download KSP, see what I can do, without any knowledge at all about rocket science. Disappointed because I can't make a proper rocket, I deleted my KSP. Few weeks later, I'm watching matt lowne's video about building space station, so I'm interested again to play KSP once more (and because I'm bored of FPS games), I download it once again, and I love it ever since :)

Just now, ARS said:

At first, I'm reading tvtropes website. Then I came across an article that jool is an eldritch location of KSP, which leads me to danny2462's video of messing around in solar system. Then I try to download KSP, see what I can do, without any knowledge at all about rocket science. Disappointed because I can't make a proper rocket, I deleted my KSP. Few weeks later, I'm watching matt lowne's video about building space station, so I'm interested again to play KSP once more (and because I'm bored of FPS games), I download it once again, and I love it ever since :)

Danny2462, Nexter's lab, SWdennis, they are all the definition of KSP on steroids. 

1 minute ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Danny2462, Nexter's lab, SWdennis, they are all the definition of KSP on steroids. 

Yeah, I especially love Matt's video for (sometimes absurd) accomplishment and challenges, while I love danny2462's video for hillariously fun things he did :D

34 minutes ago, Shadow Wolf56 said:

Well, back in 2014, My brother was watching a Scott Manley Vid and he liked it so he then bought ksp on steam, I played the game and then bought ksp on my steam account. and have been playing ksp ever since

And Scott Manley videos are the ultimate go to reference for all things KSP

I was just searching for "Rocket building game" for HOURS. Untill i stumbled upon KSP. That was in summer 2011 i think, i downloaded the demo and was not dissapointed. I played the demo for a long time, without realizing 0.16 was out, and when i bought the game, i was so pumped for a new update. Too bad i did not play KSP properly untill like, 3 years later.

I have been reading a certain techwebsite since I was 16, and for years now every time there was a spacetech article the comments were loaded with KSP references. References to the related article and peoples own experiences within KSP and offcourse the Funny Kabooms would come by, Haven't been 'gaming' for years, but KSP got my attention since I have more time at hand. (kids :D)

I had seen the game mentioned a few times, but had no idea what it was. Then one day I happened upon Markiplier doing a live stream of the game.  I figured if I could sit and watch somebody play a game for six hours, I should probably buy it for myself.  He wasn't even that good at it, if I remember correctly.

53 minutes ago, fourfa said:

xkcd

Yes, exactly this. Although, I didn't download it as it did cost money, and I didn't really have the interest to purchase a game just because xkcd mentioned it. Then a year later or so a fellow colleague told me about the game and that it was somehow physically accurate and you could sink hours into it. Sounded interesting, so I downloaded the demo version, which immediately made me search wikipedia for the equations I needed...

I found out about this game from youtube, I wanted it for months till I had to spend time in the hospital, I couldn't go anywhere so i got the game.I played for hours  then I discovered mods. 2 years and 734 hours later this is still one of my favorite games

I was an Orbiter player since 2002 . The earliest release of the Kerbal Space Program was a hot subject on Orbiter forums in 2011. But at the time the current 2010 version of Orbiter did not seem so old, and the realism of the physics and planet surfaces was enough to keep me playing it. I had already been toying with the idea of turning Orbiter into more of a game, and had even played with written a VB program that introduced a contract overlay to the Orbiter simulation. I never got very far with that. By 2014, Orbiter was seeming stale. I would look for the next big update, but it was never there. Early in 2016 I decided to give the Kerbal Space Program a try, It turns out I really like designing space craft, something that was not so easy to do in Orbiter. The new version of Orbiter came out in October of 2016, but by then I was already hooked on KSP. 

KSP allows me to think bigger and design surface bases with orbiting space station for support. I miss the weird orbits you could find around Callisto in Orbiter, but for now I am hooked on KSP.

Early 2015, a friend at school told me about it and kinda let me demo a bit, and the 1.0 sale. Missed it, but I don't mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.