This is not a helpful suggestion. The developers are already aware that people want performance, and have already done several code optimizations. Anything major from this point likely entails writing a custom physics engine, which is an extraordinarily expensive task.

Now, if you had something specific, like "I found some API for a development version of Unity that will let you run much more in pure double precision without endless conversions back and forth", then you might have a point*.

*Note: I do not know of such a feature, or if it was implemented already at some point.

Edited by Starman4308
Blerped and wrote Mono instead of Unity

This would have been a more helpful suggestion had you said: 

47 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

My suggestion is for a future update, the code be rewritten to run much faster, and thus speed up the game AND I will fund the development!

Jokes aside, KSP is probably as optimized as its going to get. The stock game, without mods, will run on almost anything, and run well. Squad is not obligated to make the game run better with mods, if that is what you are getting at. The quickest way to get better performance out of KSP is to spend money to get better hardware. Not everybody can just go out and do that, but you can probably save up money faster and upgrade faster than Squad can rewrite the game (because it probably won't happen).

Edited by Galileo

Good points already mentioned, but to also chime in:

You can optimize all you want, but performance is ultimately dependent on several factors.

1. Your Hardware (Physical limitations.)
  2. Programming Platform/Language (How code is allowed to run on your hardware/ How your hardware handles the code.)
  3. What you're trying to accomplish (Some "problems" are harder than others.)
  4. How you accomplish it (How the code does what you want it to do. This is what "optimization" usually implies.)
  • (1) is all on the user/player.
  • (2) is a decision made by the developer early on and is expensive to change the deeper/later they get into development.
  • (3) is the premise for KSP.
  • (4) is dependent on how much effort the developer can afford or is willing to commit.
  • SQUAD can't do anything about (1). 
  • An example of (2) was the move from Unity 4.x to Unity 5.x. That's a similar platform (theoretically the same) and look at the headaches that caused. Imagine going to a completely different environment like C++ and starting from near-scratch.
  • (3) is the fundamental game itself and the features. SQUAD is trying to add there, not remove. Players would be kinda peeved if features got removed/dumbed-down post-release...
  • SQUAD is already doing as much as they can regarding (4).

Unity being C# (which has nothing to do with C++) is a limitation we have to live with until/unless KSP2 gets announced and is developed on something more performance-oriented. Unity was designed for ease of development, not performance. For now, SQUAD is working with what they have that gives them a return on the investment they already put in.

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I love these threads, they might as well say "My suggestion is for you to make KSP cause world peace on Earth."

LoL, yeah. It's the modern age where anyone can post anything online without necessarily thinking beyond, "I want this." Optional, "And I want it now."

"Suggestions" implies more than simple requests (or wants...) in my eyes.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

I love these threads, they might as well say "My suggestion is for you to make KSP cause world peace on Earth."

You'd have to say it's already doing it bit in this regards.

10 hours ago, RedPandaz said:

My suggestion is for a future update, the code be rewritten to run much faster, and thus speed up the game

Quitte impossible, most performance upgrades are done by Unity, the engine. Not by KSP itself. 
And in my opinion, the coding is quitte optimized for perfomance. 

Unity is just not like the other engines as CryEngine etc., but is opensource, so anyone can create content.

Edited by DrLicor

2 hours ago, DrLicor said:

Unity is just not like the other engines as CryEngine etc., but is opensource, so anyone can create content.

I don't think it is open source, as that would mean Squad could make optimization to the engine it self. But I don't think they have access to the source code itself. Which is exactly the problem they can't optimize the engine for KSP. They can only optimize their own code.

23 hours ago, jonny said:

I don't think it is open source, as that would mean Squad could make optimization to the engine it self. But I don't think they have access to the source code itself. Which is exactly the problem they can't optimize the engine for KSP. They can only optimize their own code.

It's partially open source.  Their version of Mono and many of their tools are open source.  The full engine is not though.

1 hour ago, Matuchkin said:

"Hey I have a suggestion. What if we make the game better, thus making it better?"

That just silly!  If they did that, it would completely ruin the game!  No changes EVER!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.