A better mission control

If you watch the 1.0 video, you will see the launch from Mission Control.

I would like to  be able to watch the launch like that. When things go totally sideways, we watch the parts come crashing down. (hopefully not hitting us, but that could be part of the fun)

See the launch from the big windows, and have the big screen showing the flight path map view, and the Kerbal faces. 

If you watch any Apollo mission video you will see what I have in mind.

I'd like to see more mission control interaction. I'd like to view various controllers, each of which see specific data. 

Maybe even the famous 'Go/NoGo' polls. Disablable, ofc, but it'd still be cool. Maybe double stage to skip it.

Current mission control is all wrong. IMO a more fitting place for contracts and missions would be the Administration Building. The Mission Control should actually be useful instead of being just a part of the scenery.

This will never happen but I think the MC could find its place in multiplayer. People would enter it and invite others to play the game together. Basically a better version of the Telemachus mod. One person is flying in IVA and other/s (sitting in Mission Control) control the initial ascent profile, set up course correction in map view and things like that. A very "nerdy" way to enjoy this "nerdy" game (I really dislike this word but I lack a better one right now).

Other than that I struggle to find any useful application for the Mission Control building in singleplayer apart from looking nice (doesn't apply to anything but tier 3 KSC though). Something that you use for looking at a screen with a map and an orbit path is a waste of dev time and serves no purpose imho.

Mission Control should be what we see in the Tracking Station.

However, it should be further extended.  Allow for planning missions in MC.  Let us set targets and see how much delta-v is needed, or select a vehicle and simulate what it is capable of.  Set up timing of launch windows.  Interplanetary transfers, playing with trajectory nodes, etc.  All of this should be possible without building a rocket and launching it first.  For currently running missions, we should be able to set up maneuver nodes and see what happens.  Give a time slider so we can advance the planets' positions and rotations, so we can see where everything will be when our ships get there.

Perhaps with the missions expansion coming up, and the part failures they have mentioned, Mission Control becomes more pivotal. Obviously 'missions' beg for a tie in to that building, but perhaps the way we get notified of part failures could also come from there. There's definitely potential.

I think the MC should be like a room of screens displaying data from KER. So players who want that kind of data can have it, but those who don't, can choose not to use it. Yet it can continue to give lots of data and provide additional information without full of knowledge.

The range of data should improve with the  MC building level. 

Granted I'd like it if the MC had a fixed focused (double clicked) camera to simulate the camera views that MC has often had. Maybe have ground based cameras for the launch that are ground only views that track the vehicle. 

Few thoughts.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:26 PM, Veeltch said:

Current mission control is all wrong. IMO a more fitting place for contracts and missions would be the Administration Building. The Mission Control should actually be useful instead of being just a part of the scenery.

This will never happen but I think the MC could find its place in multiplayer. People would enter it and invite others to play the game together. Basically a better version of the Telemachus mod. One person is flying in IVA and other/s (sitting in Mission Control) control the initial ascent profile, set up course correction in map view and things like that. A very "nerdy" way to enjoy this "nerdy" game (I really dislike this word but I lack a better one right now).

Other than that I struggle to find any useful application for the Mission Control building in singleplayer apart from looking nice (doesn't apply to anything but tier 3 KSC though). Something that you use for looking at a screen with a map and an orbit path is a waste of dev time and serves no purpose imho.

KSP Multiplayer, Artemis style, that would be fantastic

2 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

KSP Multiplayer, Artemis style, that would be fantastic

lol ok now that is a multiplayer I'd buy into not "I want to fly my ship separate from someone else and crash into to that someone else also does BD armory have multiplayer support?" that everyone else tends to envision

Just now, passinglurker said:

lol ok now that is a multiplayer I'd buy into not "I want to fly my ship separate from someone else and crash into to that someone else also does BD armory have multiplayer support?" that everyone else tends to envision

I know, right?

It'd make a hell of a LAN-party game

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.