Refuel Craft Needed

2 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Have you tried SRBs to give it a kick off the runway?  If you can get it to ~400m/s then the rapiers kick in and you can take a much steeper ascent or try to get faster in airbreathing mode.

That's ok, I am leaving well enough alone, the craft and fuel amount is great like it is. I will use that cargo area for your new shuttle craft when it's done.

1 minute ago, Castille7 said:

That's ok, I am leaving well enough alone, the craft and fuel amount is great like it is. I will use that cargo area for your new shuttle craft when it's done.

Actually that miner can SSTO from Kerbin, although it will need a refuel to go anywhere else.  I'll get it polished up and uploaded in an hour or two.

45 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Actually that miner can SSTO from Kerbin, although it will need a refuel to go anywhere else.  I'll get it polished up and uploaded in an hour or two.

That's awesome that it will make it to Orbit on its own, I will probably give it a ride on the Borr anyway for fun.

On 5/7/2017 at 0:04 PM, Thor Wotansen said:

Have you tried SRBs to give it a kick off the runway?  If you can get it to ~400m/s then the rapiers kick in and you can take a much steeper ascent or try to get faster in airbreathing mode.

@Thor Wotansen Ok after testing I found out there will be no free riding on the Borr :/ the Baldr will have to do it's own work getting to the Station :D. It was a fun little experiment

Edited by Castille7

I use this to top up the fuel tanks in my orbting station (250km).  It docks using a senior docking port, but it would be simple enough to take that off and replace it with one that suits your needs.

LKO3.jpg

LKO4.jpg

LKO5.jpg

The craft file is listed in my LKO Triumvirate thread : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160323-lko-triumvirate/

4 hours ago, PointySideUp said:

A big refueler I've been working on for a little while, 2 of the largest fuel tanks to orbit with around 1000dV

Looks and capabilities are very nice! I will make a trip with it and post some pic's

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

I use this to top up the fuel tanks in my orbting station (250km).  It docks using a senior docking port, but it would be simple enough to take that off and replace it with one that suits your needs.

The craft file is listed in my LKO Triumvirate thread : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/160323-lko-triumvirate/

@Scarecrow Nice build Scarecrow I will give this one a try also!

1 hour ago, PointySideUp said:

Watch the tail on takeoff, still needs some tweaks...  PreProduction model here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4cWPL5TKXgVZVlNa240dXVJNFE/view?usp=sharing

Will do!

Edited by Castille7

7 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

@Scarecrow are you using any mods with this build or maybe this is not v1.2.2?

36 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

@Castille7 All stock in 1.2.2   I only built it a few days ago.  The only modded part I use is a lander can that looks way better than the stock can, but that's it.

Ok I will look into it, and give it another try.

Let me know how you get on.  The lander can I use isn't built in to this craft, so you shouldn't have problems with it.  If you do, drop me a PM and I will see if there is some other way I can make it available to you.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

Let me know how you get on.  The lander can I use isn't built in to this craft, so you shouldn't have problems with it.  If you do, drop me a PM and I will see if there is some other way I can make it available to you.

Ok I will let you know as soon as I get a chance

On 5/9/2017 at 4:33 PM, Scarecrow said:

I am still making a few missions with PointySideUp's craft and will began launching yours when I am done, thank you for your patience.

@PointySideUp

SSTO Tanker Fueling

HLeA5fy.png

Docking a large craft I have to say this is probably one of the top 3 most challenging things to do in KSP

Edited by Castille7

• 3 weeks later...

@Scarecrow Sorry I've taken so long to get back to this. When I made my first attempt to launch I'm guessing you are using auto strut. I added struts because I use the KSP default settings with very little custom adjustments. 

This is my first trip to the station with your Triumvirate Class LKO Station Refueler and as usual I find a few things that can be improved and one for sure is my pilot skills! I made a terrible trajectory and will need to make a few practice runs to have a little fuel to transfer......haha

I will add an adapter to connect to the Station, I thought I had a large docking port at the center and when I arrived I found out my memory didn't serve me well that time. Also I arrived during an eclipse, this added some nice background for a few photos.

It's nice to arrive so quickly at the Station, Rocketry does have it's advantages. I hope to improve my trajectories and arrive with a large amount of fuel to report on my next post.

I will make another trip soon and give some updates

LKO Station Refueler

w0qvCg0.png  

JxOIp9I.png

0B9gikf.png

flEuZYm.png

w5FQLBb.png

@Castille7 I actually use a mod called Kerbal Joint Reinforcement rather than strut everything, as wet noodle wobbly rockets really peeve me, and have no idea why Squad would allow craft to be built in KSP that wobble so badly.  Unfortunately this means I have no idea how bad any of my craft wobble in a completely vanilla game without the use of struts, so my apologies for not mentioning that in my original response.

If you don't like using struts, then I can heartily recommend KJR, which I feel allows rockets to be built as they should be without relying on adding scaffolding everywhere to make them fly properly.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

@Castille7 I actually use a mod called Kerbal Joint Reinforcement rather than strut everything, as wet noodle wobbly rockets really peeve me, and have no idea why Squad would allow craft to be built in KSP that wobble so badly.  Unfortunately this means I have no idea how bad any of my craft wobble in a completely vanilla game without the use of struts, so my apologies for not mentioning that in my original response.

If you don't like using struts, then I can heartily recommend KJR, which I feel allows rockets to be built as they should be without relying on adding scaffolding everywhere to make them fly properly.

My preference is all stock, adding only struts was not a problem, this eliminated the wobble.

Why Squad would allow craft to be built in KSP that wobble so badly? My guess would be that Squad is sticking closer to reality in the game. With the Rocket top heavy and the movement of liquid in the fuel tanks I think this would cause some wobble if not structured properly.

I had a chance to make some tweaks to the craft and will make another trip soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.