KSP Challenge: Landing like Elon does!

muc5Vvdf1aWLnxxKzcXCrc-N8OFY2Jn6sWekPJkR

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge! 

This week we have another theme for you: “Landing like Elon does”

You must orbit and land under rocket power only (no lander legs, no mods).Bonus points for landing only using SRB's. Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! This challenge we have a special badge for the participants! 

2 minutes ago, Badie said:

no mods

Silly question, but does "no mods" include "readout-only" mods like KerbalEngineer, and Trajectories?

I feel like if we're really landing like Elon does, we'd be allowed to use a ton of software to assist us with an optimal landing trajectory :wink:

I envision human-shaped crafts "landing like Elon does [after he jumps]" under rocket power

Confused about the no landing legs rule. Splashdown instead? IRL rockets can't land on their engines... :/ 

Edited by Skylon

7 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

I feel like if we're really landing like Elon does, we'd be allowed to use a ton of software to assist us with an optimal landing trajectory :wink:

You're confusing your Elons: this challenge obviously refers to the legendary Elon Kerman, the first Kerbal to make it to orbit on a command seat strapped onto an SRB and land it back at the KSC without use of guidance systems, parachutes, or landing legs, before he vanished from public life. Rumour has it he's been spotted on several of the landscape photos taken by a Duna rover, but the folks at KSC neither deny nor confirm it...

Edited by swjr-swis

15 minutes ago, Skylon said:

Confused about the no landing legs rule. Splashdown instead? IRL rockets can't land on their engines... :/ 

Let's be honest, stock landing legs are not useful for high weights anyway. Making "legs" out of Big-S Wing strakes and AV-1T Winglets is safer.

11 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

Let's be honest, stock landing legs are not useful for high weights anyway. Making "legs" out of Big-S Wing strakes and AV-1T Winglets is safer.

nope! the best part is structural pylon - it resist 70 m/s impact tolerance 

now... construction...

Umm... what if I just load up any rocket, stage, then tap z and x in quick succession? Challenge completed.

Edit: Didn't see the orbit thing. This challenge looks okay, but there's not as much space for creativity compared to the last one. I'll still give it a go though. :)

Edited by MiffedStarfish

BAM, easiest challenge ever!!!!!

Here's me orbiting

1k0.jpg

Comming in HOT!

1k0.jpg

easy does it, easy does it...

1k0.jpg

1k0.jpg

Touchdown!!!!

1k0.jpg

(Just like the contracts, just pay very very good attentions to the specified rulings) Now gimme my badge!!!! 

AND... Back to mining... :cool:

Edited by LoSBoL

Ehmm, what do you mean by "rocket power"? Aren't RCS thrusters rocket? Reactive? or Jetpack?

Challenge accepted and done!

Orbiting Ike (yeap, startpoint was on Ike surface, why not?)

30a567efad37.png

Decelerating horizontal speed

81dc64fc690d.png

"Falling" down

59441a5f07f1.png

Decelerating vertical speed

31e89f24b41a.png

Successfully landed!

5fe3f1f9cd7f.png
861530c69e2b.png

Edited by AlexSilver

4 hours ago, Alshain said:

It really doesn't matter guys, only you will know if you did it right or wrong.

Absolutely!

Let me just emphasize I knew the challenge was ment for Kerbin and my submission should not be taken seriously, it was just me having fun with a loophole and sharing with the community.  I take my hat off to anyone who does it on Kerbin, (or Ike for that matter, I consider even getting there an accomplishment.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.