KSP Challenge: Landing like Elon does!

On 4/5/2017 at 5:58 PM, Badie said:

muc5Vvdf1aWLnxxKzcXCrc-N8OFY2Jn6sWekPJkR

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge! 

This week we have another theme for you: “Landing like Elon does”

You must orbit and land under rocket power only (no lander legs, no mods).Bonus points for landing only using SRB's. Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! This challenge we have a special badge for the participants! 

is it okay to use airbrakes 

My version :)  "LE"  (named "Like Elon") 2 stages rocket . All stages separatron-powered return... kerbal-like, and...... some kind of lift  for kerbals :)))

:):):):)  have a fun :) 

Edited by *MajorTom*

Here is my entry. Orbited and landed using only SRBs and no landing gear. First try! :DNRXR7srPLgUP.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Orbiting Kerban                                                                                                                                                                                                                 NqCd8Um0rmQw.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                 bMNMrQlXM03t.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                 kHkSLkSBMbhz.jpg

Edited by The Dunatian

Wasn't sure I would participate in this challenge as I love my mods (and I have a physical dependency on TweakScale), but as the 2.5m stock parts are close to the scale I would use anyway, I thought I'd give it a go.

opZCi1c.png

This took several runs as I needed multiple reloads to pull off the landings and get screenshots. Also, like Elon, I wanted to land two vehicles, so I was going to need at least two runs anyway.

Lgy3kVy.png

Second stage separates.

qVNUvpb.png

First stage landing burn begins. As no landing legs are allowed for the challenge, I used wing parts as static landing stabilizers.

HY6Z6PT.png

Success! And it only took five tries :huh:

DalcIj6.png

Ejecting the nosecone (should've done that earlier) and separating the trunk on re-entry. And I didn't forget to retract the antenna this time!

4PWfOWY.png

Approaching KSC. Several reloads were needed to get this right.

XmAxpEk.png

Departing from the real-life capsule design for the challenge, the Dumpling has two sets of SRBs, four in each set. The first set is staged about 400m above the terrain to bring the velocity down to around 15m/s.

When the first set is spent, the second set of SRBs is staged to let the Dumpling land at under 8m/s. It tends to bounce back into the air, though, so radial decouplers are staged on touchdown to separate the still burning SRBs.

UYgonTu.png

Needed about a dozen tries to get this landing right and get good screenshots. The SRBs normally fly up and off into the distance, but on this try by sheer luck the SRBs finished their burn exactly at touchdown. Nice.

B8l8unF.png

More shots for this challenge:

Landing like elon does? got it. 

5uKqtrT.jpg

I have a video from launch to landing. The airbrakes were tweekscaled but i could just add five normal ones for the same effect, I did this for looks only. Can re-do if that is really necessary. Video from launch to landing here: 

Ill work on landing without tca, but all the parts were stock.

((WAIT? no landing legs?! ugh, ill just strap on some I-beams then. elon uses landing legs..))

Edited by Not Sure

This is one of my more ridiculous builds, which is saying something.

So, doing this totally stock, and took it up a bar further and did SRBs only -- not just for landing, but just SRBs, period.

First attempt put Jeb in the hospital! (Totally stock, no KER, no surface alt reading!)

Valentina managed to prevail, however:

9228502816AD11F6AD1A00DA7DD6131F59F11AFE

28EF70F31B18E1B49046C4FC1B464C06B38ABB42

EB195893BA8216F09FDBCECB72DAD95903171DF0

755117206CDEE979E9D347F9557EC5BEE06A124C

1D60107B210CF62BA69FBFB88423A29D10495C07A5AC0E3C9E4B27E181E4ACD52D6E22F89961398930B104BEB53C02AABDFB3716A30CC5AE0ECF0C72AC734EEEF918E978A6728891DFD99630B4BE2D03CBAF5881DCDEEEF435F29A97DB011489AE52AB99CC94008172C489805235FD22EDEF1A3EA077C47C

Somebody mounted an SRB and airbrake over the hatch...she's going to have a word with engineering, once they cut her out of there!

-Jn-

I humbly submit Project Cobol. A set of modular launch and space-faring vehicles built to order for my company, Trollmun Industries.

KWPSW4r.png

The core booster of this set, the Petrobolos is capable of RTLS landing at KSC. The craft is all stock, and has no conventional landing legs, but rather pylons. Thanks to @*MajorTom* for the insight as to their usefulness! Please note that although the images provided in the album may (superficially) look like the same flight, there were of course several before I could stick a landing with this one. I do note this in the album.

http://imgur.com/a/xuID2

Here are a few selected shots:

Just a quick note, I don't yet have a KerbalX account since I don't often make stock only craft, but if anyone desperately wants to fly this monstosity, I will make one... Just ask.

Edited by drewthedrewman
KerbalX anyone?

Wow some pretty darned creative ways of getting around no landing legs here!  I decided to have a quick blast at this after work today.  First stage total recovery, with a main lander (occupancy 4) landing entirely under SRBs:

THE SQUALID ROCKET BLOOPER

o8gJqGI.png

fBeJiQW.png

LOFhjLO.png

Parts - 89
Mass - 91.346t
Height - 25.2m
Occupancy - 4

CRAFT FILE

MISSION REPORT

Great fun!

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

Not exactly following the rules as it was before this challenge, but this entry might interest some of you :P

Totally okay to land without legs and chutes, done quite a lot of time !

Any bonus for a sweet water landing for thèses winged lateral boosters ? :wink:

Edited by Dakitess

24 minutes ago, DragonsForce said:

Ok, now I am impressed. This basically is what I tried creating the whole weekend, without success... Always flipping out mere seconds after launch.

There's a couple of ways around the flippiness....

You can put the spaceplane at the bottom and put the boosters at the top and sides.

You can put loads of fins at the back/bottom of the boosters. 

Edited by Foxster

56 minutes ago, Foxster said:

There's a couple of ways around the flippiness....

You can put the spaceplane at the bottom and put the boosters at the top and sides.

You can put loads of fins at the back/bottom of the boosters. 

Tried the fins, didn't help. And the boosters above the craft just don't work with the aesthetic I was going for; ended up just encasing it in a fairing, not 100% happy with that though.

14 hours ago, DragonsForce said:

Tried the fins, didn't help. And the boosters above the craft just don't work with the aesthetic I was going for; ended up just encasing it in a fairing, not 100% happy with that though.

My initial prototypes have the same issue too. Couple hundreds of meters away from the ground it will start over correcting itself. When I pressed F12 I noticed the culprit is the wings of the aircraft messing up the overall aerodynamic. 

My solution was to put two pairs of wings around the SRBs and the first stage to counter the wing effects from the aircraft itself. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.