Turned 40 today

Azimech

19 minutes ago, Azimech said:

But I feel like 25 :D

Anyway ... if anyone ever wondered where that "77 Industries" comes from, now you know.

Same here, the 40/25 part.

Happy birthday

7 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Hey, you have the same birthday as me! :D 

Although I'm much younger... :D 

Happy birthday to you too then! So, what's the age difference?

The only thing that bothers me about getting older is that people have expectations about what you should be doing in that phase of your life. Even if you enjoy yourself where you are, other people will make their feelings increasingly clear, implicitly or explicitly. Even though I know that you should not be too bothered about other people's opinions when you live your life, that subtle yet persistent and growing pressure can be annoying and restricting.

On the other hand, ageing comes with an ever increasing freedom to not care about things too much any more. Hooray for being jaded! I know that is contradictory to the first part of my post, but that is exactly the sort of thing I stopped caring about :D

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

@StrandedonEarth: turning 47 years old doesn't bother me. It is just that I will be able to get the senior citizens' discount at Denny's in three years AND I will still have a child under the age of 12 at home that sorta is hard to wrap your head around...

It doesn't bother me either. What bothers me is getting up in the morning and my foot and elbow hurt for no good reason. And my mortgage is on the "Freedom 95" plan (welcome to home ownership  in Greater Vancouver). But my ten-year-old thinks the grey in my beard looks cool.

5 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Many years. And happy birthday to you too!

*shakes fist* Get off my lawn ya punk!

Edited by Dman979
Edited to remove personal information.

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

What is that?

For a long time a life insurance company (Mutual?) advertised a "Freedom 55" plan, basically being able to retire at 55. Meanwhile, here in the north, for a while it was possible to get 40-year mortgages, until the great sub-prime mortgage fiasco in the US. Since I was well into my thirties before being able to buy a house (that 40-year mortgage), the "Freedom 95" joke is that I'll be able to retire when I'm 95. An exaggeration, and the reality isn't that bad anymore thanks to accelerated payments, but it may as well be true. 

Sorry if I'm turning this into a griping about getting old thread, but another gripe is I can't read the fine print anymore without reading glasses  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.