[1.12.x] Augmented Reality (AR) Docking Revived (released!)

@PocketDoor hasn't been around since October, so I'm reviving his Augmented Reality mod.  Original thread is here:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/149259-augmented-reality-ar-docking/

Availability

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo10_400.jpg

Tired of staring at the NavBall while docking? Don't want to get a mod that docks automatically for you?

Try Augmented Reality (AR) Docking! Add this part to project an arrow from your ship to the targeted docking port. It will also display an arrow with your relative velocity, "right" and "up" relative directions, and an arrow pointing what way you need to adjust your velocity to line everything up.

Included in the download is the part and a Hooligan Labs flag!

Reviewed by Kottabos Games

*** Tutorial Video ***

*** More Tutorial ***

• Attach the AR Docking Part to your vessel. Only one per vessel needed. It takes up a small amount of space and has weight, but does not require power.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeisepltl61u0kw1uo1_1280.jpg

• Approach the vessel you want to dock with as normal. Right click it to "Set as Target".
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo2_1280.jpg

• When you are close enough to see it then an arrow will extend from your ship to the target. If the target has multiple docking ports you can right click and select the exact port you want to dock with. The arrow will then point to that docking port.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo3_1280.jpg

• As well as the white arrow indicating direction, there is a also yellow arrow which will come out of your ship to indicate the relative velocity between your ship and the target. These arrows will first come from the center of your ship. Right click the port that you want to dock with on your ship and select "Control from Here". The arrows will then come from that docking port.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo4_1280.jpg

• The arrow may still not be easy to see. It probably is because you are moving away from your target, so the relative velocity arrow points "into" your ship. Start moving towards the target to see the yellow arrow.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo5_1280.jpg

• There are 5 total arrows...
    • Long white arrow from your docking port to the target docking port. This turns yellow when the docks are moving towards each other.
    • Short yellow arrow indicating relative velocity between vessels. When pointing towards the target your ship is moving towards it.
    • A blueish arrow indicating the direction you need to change your relative velocity to align it with your direction of travel.
    • A yellow arrow pointing your vessel's relative *up*. This is to help with docking maneuvers.
    • Like above, a yellow arrow pointing in the *down* direction.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo6_1280.jpg

• Here the direction and relative velocity arrows are lined up and thus the same color. The relative direction arrow disappears.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo8_1280.jpg

• Due to orbital mechanics it is normal for your relative velocity to drift out of alignment over time. Keep correcting it.
Spoiler

tumblr_oeis8rtoMH1u0kw1uo9_1280.jpg

• Keep in alignment and don't go too fast... and you will dock!
Spoiler

tumblr_oeitbnWF7g1u0kw1uo1_1280.jpg

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

This is a lot less realistic then docking port alignment indicator which I actually don't use.

However, I dock a lot and frequent and want to get docking done as fast as I possibly can.

This is absolutely useful for that purpose since it makes it utterly easily, and above all quickly as it is so intuitive. If you want the same this is really the mod for you albeit less realistic piloting wise.

Really wished I found this one sooner. I hope it works in 1.3.1 and 1.4.5 also :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, here is a log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sdzcbltobydaoj/saves for LoadingScreenManager.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

Yes an odd name but I do have the below in it.

I get this:

Spoiler

Load(Texture): AugmentedReality/Parts/Utility/HL_AR_Dock/dirty_scratched_metal_texture_full_size

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Cannot create texture: No header created

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Texture load error in 'C:\KSP\KSP 1.4.5.2243 Live\GameData\AugmentedReality\Parts\Utility\HL_AR_Dock\dirty_scratched_metal_texture_full_size.tga'

I hope this a trivial matter to resolve, and if you are keen eyed you will see that today I am on some kind of mission to clean up log entries.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.