Dips in frame rate

Been having this issue for a while where the frames will just plummet and freeze the screen for about a second before restoring itself. Always happens in intervals maybe every 10 seconds.
My frame rate isn't great anyway for whatever reason. It's by far the lowest i have for any game. I run some pretty demanding games on high settings where i'm usually good for 30 - 60 fps. But on this i'll get 10 - 20 frames at most. And that's when i'm far away from Kerbin.
In Kerbins atmosphere i'll have about 10fps, and when the dip kicks in every 10 seconds it'll drop to about 5, then back up to 10 - 15.

So any idea why my frame rate is so low and why i have these dips? I'm running mods but i get this with or without mods.

Edited by Midgar

Sounds like maybe garbage collection?

In that event, a possible fix (assuming you have the RAM to contemplate it*) is to use MemGraph to pad your heap, and force less frequent GC pauses.

*8 GB or more.

Generally: you won't get much improvement in KSP frame rates by reducing graphical settings. KSP is a lot more CPU-heavy than most games, so quite often, it's the physics calculations that are the bottleneck, not the GPU rendering frames as it is for other games.

Your GPU can be entirely capable of rendering 200 FPS, but will sit idle most of the time if the CPU can only chug through the physics for 10 frames per second.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.