Ethernet not working after switching provider.

NSEP

Here comes NSEP once again with his internet problems!

So i have had this problem for months now, like, over half a year. But we changed our internet provider, yet after the change, the Ethernet stopped working, or at least the Modem stopped working. There is no Ethernet, or at least very slow ethernet, it is still sending and recieving packets, just very few packets per second it seems, not enough to connect to the internet though. There is still a ethernet wall plug in my parents bedroom, wich i might be able to connect to, but i will have to need a really long cable for that. And i am connected to Wi-Fi, but i have to hold up a metal sheet in order for it to get up to a reasonable speed, wich can be really annoying.

Are there any things that might be causing this problem? 

Thanks, NSEP.

27 minutes ago, NSEP said:

And i am connected to Wi-Fi, but i have to hold up a metal sheet in order for it to get up to a reasonable speed, wich can be really annoying.

Sounds like poor 802.11 signal to me. Usual solutions: change channels, get a gruntier router / access point, a repeater or a bigger antenna. Check your AP/router settings in case someone turned down the xmit power setting. 
What's you actual signal strength and negotiated bitrate?

5 hours ago, steve_v said:

Sounds like poor 802.11 signal to me. Usual solutions: change channels, get a gruntier router / access point, a repeater or a bigger antenna. Check your AP/router settings in case someone turned down the xmit power setting. 
What's you actual signal strength and negotiated bitrate?

Well the problem with that is, is that our router is on the other side of the house, making it harder to reach. I will check later, since i have school.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

our router is on the other side of the house

Probably not helping signal strength.
If it is distance from the router / AP causing the problem, the solution is another AP (connected to wired ethernet or in repeater mode) somewhere closer.
Either that or get a monster antenna... Good luck connecting one to built-in wifi on a laptop though.
Looking for a push-button fix for poor wifi signal is not going to get you anywhere. The answer is to improve the signal.

3 hours ago, steve_v said:

Probably not helping signal strength.
If it is distance from the router / AP causing the problem, the solution is another AP (connected to wired ethernet or in repeater mode) somewhere closer.
Either that or get a monster antenna... Good luck connecting one to built-in wifi on a laptop though.
Looking for a push-button fix for poor wifi signal is not going to get you anywhere. The answer is to improve the signal.

I know that, but my metal sheet is what i call a monster antenna, it boost my download up to like 100x not joking. 

Thanks for helping out, i geuss.

49 minutes ago, NSEP said:

my metal sheet is what i call a monster antenna

Depending on where you hold it, this could be acting as a reflector (weak signal), or as a shield (competition on the channel).
If you have an android phone handy, this is very useful for figuring such things out.

OTOH, my solution when some nub sets up a new AP on my channel is to simply crank up my transmit power... mostly out of pure vindictiveness. Helps that I have a somewhat 'special' AP. :wink:

Edited by steve_v

24 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Depending on where you hold it, this could be acting as a reflector (weak signal), or as a shield (competition on the channel).
If you have an android phone handy, this is very useful for figuring such things out.

OTOH, my solution when some nub sets up a new AP on my channel is to simply crank up my transmit power... mostly out of pure vindictiveness. Helps that I have a somewhat 'special' AP. :wink:

Thanks for the recommemdation of the app, i have an IOS though, but i will see. Thanks :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.