KSP Challenge: "Creative emergency escape and re-entry vehicles"

5 hours ago, scottadges said:

It's Saturday 5/13 when I'm posting this. Is it too late to add to the challenge for the badge? (First time participating, not sure the general timeframe).

I have an interesting vehicle/system I'd like to share!

No, looks like weeks here are different one... :)  looks like it tuesday- till tuesday . So IMHO not late to share you craft!

The Cabbage-soup Kerbals' Soysauce capsule is, of course, the emergency escape vehicle for the International Soup Station (when my favourite Soyuz mod HGR broke a while back I hobbled together this substitute until it was fixed).

cN6hiZT.png

To get into the right orbit it is launched from Guacamole Space Centre, refurbished and expanded by the Fish-soup Kerbals from the old Island Runway.

Bill dropped by with some spackle as they ran out before they got to the runway control tower.

g7SdPbL.png

After wheeling Soysauce out from the VAB (built into the mountain ... Fish-soup Kerbals watch a lot of spy movies), it is launched.

Hg976mR.png

Booster separation forms the famous Kerbalev Cross, a thrilling sight for the Kerbals watching from the company town on the island.

NNtvZxQ.png

Approaching the International Soup Station.

OAi2fS5.png

Can't dock for long as it's time for an evacuation drill.

MgZHktW.png

Separation of the Orbital Module (which contains monopropellant and three extra days of TAC life support) and the Service Module in preparation for re-entry.

os9GYwM.png

Val, Stagela, and Degie decide to get a breath of fresh, salty air while they wait.

XK9DlFk.png

More photos and food puns for this challenge:

Here is my LKO refuel and deorbit station, it's been featured before, but this was 'brand new' after delivery to LKO
1k0.jpg

When an rescue contract comes along, they basicly get a DIY solution, help yourself dude :wink:

They get one spacetug send from the station, and they have to deorbit their own junk.
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg

And then it's off to the station
1k0.jpg
1k0.jpg

Grabbing some science from a Mun lander to bring home is mandatory :D
1k0.jpg

And then it's off to home!
1k0.jpg

The 'escape pod' has a pre staged parachute, and relies on just one RCS port, 10 units of monoprop is more then sufficient to get PE down to 30ish K.
Just don't forget to turn prograde to retrogadeburn when using the RCS port.   "What do you mean youre not a piliot???"  "Well, good luck without SAS" :o

We're gonna overshoot KSC by a bit...
1k0.jpg

Wow, what a coincidence! landing at eclipse, what a way to come home!
1k0.jpg

And since the station is getting low on deorbit pods, a resuply mission is on it's way. (the first stage will be reused as an refuel ship for RCS'less craft looking for some fuel.)
1k0.jpg

And another journey completed :wink:

(If anybody is interested in the craft files, just ask)

Edited by LoSBoL

7 hours ago, Amechwarrior said:

abKupAS.jpg

Oh. My. God. And I'm out of likes!

2 hours ago, Tinty Moce Fowt said:

(when my favourite Soyuz mod HGR broke a while back I hobbled together this substitute until it was fixed).

HGR, though the original mod isn't updated to 1.2.2, there is a 1.2.2 patch, named Home-Grown Fixes for Home-Grown Rockets. Also, @Orionkermin recently posted in the development thread of HGR, and changed the license, so another mod developer is likely to adopt it soon.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

Wow... these are great so far!  But I'm out of likes, so I have to catch up on a couple tomorrow...

I wanted to remind everyone about the official weekly challenge submission thread I started for @Badie and @SQUAD a couple weeks ago. If anyone has any ideas for a future challenge, please feel free to add it to the list.

1 minute ago, colfighter said:

How does the badge system work?

It's mostly an honor system. Once you earn a badge, you get the right to copy and paste it into your signature. I have a bunch under my belt actually, but I don't display them. But if you look around the forum, you'll find some members with a huge number of badges in their signatures.

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... these are great so far!  But I'm out of likes, so I have to catch up on a couple tomorrow...

I wanted to remind everyone about the official weekly challenge submission thread I started for @Badie and @SQUAD a couple weeks ago. If anyone has any ideas for a future challenge, please feel free to add it to the list.

It's mostly an honor system. Once you earn a badge, you get the right to copy and paste it into your signature. I have a bunch under my belt actually, but I don't display them. But if you look around the forum, you'll find some members with a huge number of badges in their signatures.

Thanks! I'll make sure my evac-box gets an award!

11 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

HGR, though the original mod isn't updated to 1.2.2, there is a 1.2.2 patch, named Home-Grown Fixes for Home-Grown Rockets. Also, @Orionkermin recently posted in the development thread of HGR, and changed the license, so another mod developer is likely to adopt it soon.

I've been gratefully using the Fixes for a while now but I didn't know about the license change. Hopefully someone picks it up, but I'm also curious to see what will be in the upcoming Making History expansion.

21 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

Wow, what a coincidence! landing at eclipse, what a way to come home!

1k0.jpg

Just wanted to say that I'm impressed with every entry in every challenge presented so far -- there's not a dud in the bunch -- but that, to keep them meaningful, I reserve my "Likes" for shots that catch my eye, that somehow stand out from all this amazing creativity just a little bit. It could be due to the realism, a bit more ingenuity in design, a little humor maybe, or because of the presentation (I have a hard time restraining myself from "Liking" every single entry).

I have to single out this shot, though, as nothing less than a work of art (and it's not JUST luck, mods, or whatever). A credit to you, @LoSBoL. Beautifully captured.

So here's my Escape Pod for this challenge, which I'm calling an "Emergency Lifeboat" since it's more of a functioning, specific-purpose spacecraft rather than a little pod. :0.0:

Also, I'm using mods pretty extensively. Too many to list here. But I can write it up more if people are interested in what went into this?

KSCN Emergency Lifeboat Mk2

q3rHA4J.jpg

Mechanical & Functionality:

- 4 OMS pod engines for de-orbiting and slowing descent in atmosphere
- 250 units of monopropellant, plenty for getting back to Kerbin
- 2 ventral mounted air brakes to slow vertical descent (and look cool; redundant but cool)
- 4 small drogue chutes and a 25-ton rated parachute
- A robust reaction control system, the latest OKTO computer systems, and plenty of electric charge (although no solar panels on this model)
- A durable heat shield that is de-coupled to reveal the crew hatch on successful landing

The pics below capture how this was used during an orbital shakedown flight for a new Cruiser. If you're interested, you can see the whole narrative plus more pictures at my Imgur album. 

KSP Escape Pod Challenge: http://imgur.com/a/DXvcU.

KX-5000 on her maiden voyage

All looks good. Systems check looking good. And tonnes of fuel left over from the Launch stage...

qCmlgQ2.jpg

...until the unthinkable happens.

Tragedy! Explosion rocks the ship

h3AWuZj.jpg

All hands: Abandon ship! To the Emergency Lifeboats! (Good thing we're testing these on this flight...)

gAf096A.jpg

Spacious accommodations. Shall we stay up here?

yVlZiTO.jpg

Atmospheric fireworks (heat shield comes in handy)

UH9c06K.jpg

Slowing descent with OMS thrusters and air brakes. De-orbiting like a BOSS.

z0PIsjE.jpg

Getting ready to land - gotta love parachutes!

9DNiQq5.jpg

We made it! Now who's going to pick us up?!?

f9L4zjc.jpg%09

Edited by scottadges

Oh Dear me. things are not so good at Mimnus Station. Sigrie Kerman has been taken ill. She has a bad case of Mimnus Mumps andmust be evacuated at once.

The escape pod leaves the station. Tanmin the medical science officer is accompanying Sigrie.

They plot a course for a direct route home.

They bid a fond farewell to Mimnus and the station.

They left Mimnus SOI and Tanmin talked bout how these lo-tec pods would be around for years.

After a quick check on the course, Tanmin was happy. He knew it was all automatic but he still like to feel as though he was involved in the act of getting his patient to safety.

They were about to enter the atmosphere. Good job the old Pod has a thick skin. We should be fine.

We will not be needing a drive system any more. That will burn up in the atmosphere quite nicely.

Nice!

Jettison the cowling.

Jetison the docking mechanism and pop the parachute.

Still a little too fast though. We will need to get rid of the extra weight.

Much better.

Gently into the water.. Don't want my patient rattled.

Ok.. I've found the tea... now where's the biscuits?

Sigrie's case of Mimnus Mumps was one of the worst any one had ever seen.
After a few weeks in a bath of goo, she was as right as ninepence.

Once last entry. One or two man escape pods are nice if you just need to get droids off the ship with secret base plans, but what if you have a situation where the entire station needs immediate evacuation? This 100% stock escape pod weighs under 14.5 t and can return a crew of 16 to Kerbin landing safely on land or water.

Here it is docked to the KSS:

sxekhL7.jpg

Undocking complete with plenty of RCS thrusters aboard:

vouGZhI.jpg

Burning for reentry. A smaller engine might work. Note the cubic octagonal struts used as landing legs to protect the engine bell:

bGOEaFn.jpg

Chutes set it down at under 6 m/s. The crew would probably appreciate it if I turned the crew cabins around so they faced up:

GvFGu8q.jpg

On 14/05/2017 at 7:49 AM, Tinty Moce Fowt said:

The Cabbage-soup Kerbals' Soysauce capsule is, of course, the emergency escape vehicle for the International Soup Station (when my favourite Soyuz mod HGR broke a while back I hobbled together this substitute until it was fixed).

cN6hiZT.png

To get into the right orbit it is launched from Guacamole Space Centre, refurbished and expanded by the Fish-soup Kerbals from the old Island Runway.

Bill dropped by with some spackle as they ran out before they got to the runway control tower.

g7SdPbL.png

After wheeling Soysauce out from the VAB (built into the mountain ... Fish-soup Kerbals watch a lot of spy movies), it is launched.

Hg976mR.png

Booster separation forms the famous Kerbalev Cross, a thrilling sight for the Kerbals watching from the company town on the island.

NNtvZxQ.png

Approaching the International Soup Station.

OAi2fS5.png

Can't dock for long as it's time for an evacuation drill.

MgZHktW.png

Separation of the Orbital Module (which contains monopropellant and three extra days of TAC life support) and the Service Module in preparation for re-entry.

os9GYwM.png

Val, Stagela, and Degie decide to get a breath of fresh, salty air while they wait.

XK9DlFk.png

More photos and food puns for this challenge:

that was my idea too...

as allways I used KOS because coding is a whole lot of math and I love maths 

Trust me I can get this to orbit

also i would post a link to the full .craft file but I don't think @DECQ would allow me 

Edited by kerbinorbiter

Hi folks

I´ve revisited an old idea for this one. In my last save I wanted a cheap and lazy way to rescue some free Kerbals from LKO. First I built a rescue station that could be replenished with escape pods by a shutt... wait a moment, why don´t I keep the capsules on the shuttle?

This is the new ResQ Shuttle II:

MH5kNva.png

It´s got 10 reentry capsules on board. My old system first undocked the pods and then I had to point them to retrograde, which was sometimes tricky when I was rescuing scientists/engineers. So the new system is simply fire and forget. Every pod is on a single stage, so just point the cargo bay retrograde and press space. The game does the rest, thanks to the newer deploy-when-safe parachute function. (and firing all ten pods in sequence is just too cool :D )

IaPYyHU.png

Oh, and now it´s also got a launch escape system. Wheeeee! (heavily inspired by some pics I found on the net back then about a shuttle 2 concept. It´s a pitty that design never took off)

t4maRzF.png

And again there are lots of cool and inspiring ideas around here. Nice :)

Edit: Craft file for Commander223323: https://kerbalx.com/herrmue/ResQ-Shuttle-II

Edited by KerrMü

On 5/10/2017 at 0:18 PM, Badie said:

6Y482wA7PDn4dZaUad14Gz1YfMqUcBy78OVKhjlI

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: "Creative emergency escape and re-entry vehicles"

Make an escape pod(s). It can be for a space station, but for those that don't have a working station in orbit, a ship in orbit would count as well.... as long as it has an escape pod. Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

All the participants will receive their Official Challenge Badge "THE GOLDEN KERBAL" ! Thanks to @HebaruSan for sharing his idea! 

When is it due?

6 hours ago, KerrMü said:

Hi folks

I´ve revisited an old idea for this one. In my last save I wanted a cheap and lazy way to rescue some free Kerbals from LKO. First I built a rescue station that could be replenished with escape pods by a shutt... wait a moment, why don´t I keep the capsules on the shuttle?

This is the new ResQ Shuttle II:

MH5kNva.png

It´s got 10 reentry capsules on board. My old system first undocked the pods and then I had to point them to retrograde, which was sometimes tricky when I was rescuing scientists/engineers. So the new system is simply fire and forget. Every pod is on a single stage, so just point the cargo bay retrograde and press space. The game does the rest, thanks to the newer deploy-when-safe parachute function. (and firing all ten pods in sequence is just too cool :D )

IaPYyHU.png

Oh, and now it´s also got a launch escape system. Wheeeee! (heavily inspired by some pics I found on the net back then about a shuttle 2 concept. It´s a pitty that design never took off)

t4maRzF.png

And again there are lots of cool and inspiring ideas around here. Nice :)

Craft file?

7 hours ago, ws513 said:

Glider escape pod, if fully fueled is even able to came back from a mun or minmus station....

A capsule? Wow, you're nice to your kerbals. I just put mine in a lawn chair inside a service bay.

21 hours ago, kerbinorbiter said:

that was my idea too...

as allways I used KOS because coding is a whole lot of math and I love maths

I've been playing with kOS, learning vector math so I can write my own alternative to the built-in PID controller (some ideas I want to try out). My intention is to have this ready before I play Career again so my ships and probes are more realistically automated (and can land on a dime like Elon's), but so far the only maneuver I've accomplished with my test probes is the funky chicken.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.