what's the dumbest mistake you've made in KSP?

TimKerbin

I had a tourism contract - something I've done zillions of times before - and when I got to Kerbin orbit I noticed something was missing. THE TOURISTS! Doh! it was just like that moment in Home Alone when she's on the plane and notices something is missing...

In the end I sent Jeb up with the tourists to dock with it. The problem was neither craft had docking ports and tourists can't do EVA (even though they get XP for some reason), so I put the grapple on Jeb's ship and docked that way. I don't know whether this is a bug or by design but if you dock with the grapple you can still transfer any crew, even tourists who can't do EVA and there's no docking port! I bet the Kerbals have invented a teleporter and no-one's told us...

God I love KSP. I have lost so many hours of sleep to this damn game!:cool:

• 1 year later...

I knew I saw this before! :P 

Well, I spend some serious time on my first career. Things were going more or less fine until I realized that I forgot Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed for some reason (probably some test I did in the past, I don't remember).

I deleted the thing, and then I realized than my aircrafts are not working anymore. :D (I should had been suspicious when I made a FireSpitter TetraPlane, with fabric wings, reach Mach 1…. :sticktongue:)

I wanna to "play serious" - I want to do some crazy things, but I don't wanna cheat. Too much. :P 

So I'm considering delete the savegame and start over again. Damn it. :/ 

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

I knew I saw this before! :P 

Well, I spend some serious time on my first career. Things were going more or less fine until I realized that I forgot Kerbal Joint Reinforcement installed for some reason (probably some test I did in the past, I don't remember).

I deleted the thing, and then I realized than my aircrafts are not working anymore. :D (I should had been suspicious when I made a FireSpitter TetraPlane, with fabric wings, reach Mach 1…. :sticktongue:)

I wanna to "play serious" - I want to do some crazy things, but I don't wanna cheat. Too much. :P 

So I'm considering delete the savegame and start over again. Damn it. :/ 

If it makes you feel any better, I understand that KJR is roughly the equivalent of turning on Autostrut: Grandparent for every part. Technically, that's stock behavior. Personally, I try to only autostrut in limited places. because it ALMOST feels like cheating, and it does increase the physics calcs a bit.

On 8/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, FleshJeb said:

If it makes you feel any better, I understand that KJR is roughly the equivalent of turning on Autostrut: Grandparent for every part. Technically, that's stock behavior. Personally, I try to only autostrut in limited places. because it ALMOST feels like cheating, and it does increase the physics calcs a bit.

I think it does something else. The landing gears are brittle without KJR.

But you gave me an idea to check this. :) 

EDIT: I just remembered the reason I installed KJR - I made a really big blimp, and I could not launch it due some Clamps bug or something. No matter how many clamps I added to the thing, the clamps fails on launch exploding everything. I'm reconsidering my options. :D 

Edited by Lisias
adding note.

One time I forgot to pack enough parachutes, the craft would crash on landing killing all tourists. So I had to load save from launch and do inflight abort and land safely in water next to KSP. That meant I basically threw away few hundred thousand funds.

• 1 month later...

Well.. I have a new one.

For the last 10 days, I was trying to figure out why OPM was not working on my Role Playing installment, besides working on the other ones.

My first though was, obviously, some unholy iteration with some other mods.

So I reviewed the logs, installed different versions of my mods, code reviewed the source of some of them (including Kerbal Kconstructs and Kopernicus), you name it.

Late yesterday, before going to bed, I was wondering again what it could be when an idea hit me on the head the with the delicacy of a piano that falls from the thirteenth floor: I didn't installed Kopernicus on that KSP installment.

(sigh)

Today is going to be a long day with this hangover. =P

Blasting Guscan Kerman out of Kerbin's gravitational pull and into solar orbit - without any fuel left afterwards. Even if I had the full KSP version, chances are he is doomed to orbit the sun for all eternity. What's worse: his fate was by my hands.

(holds memorial service at the space center --> lays a marker next to the graves of Jebediah and Hilphia Kerman)

His capsule has become his tomb. Aside from renaming the capsule "R.I.P. Guscan Kerman" so anyone who finds it will know who's in it. I vowed never to take anyone past Kerbin's orbit without a plan to return. More details about that, and the aftermath, upon request.

The dumbest thing I did lead to me learning how to do crazy orbital maneuvers and rendezvous, so it wasn't all bad in the long run. My first attempt to go to the Mun ended with Jeb stranded in a really weird orbit, so I had to design a rescue craft for Val to go get him. But this was early in career, so I had to farm a bunch of science first. I ended up sending a couple probe landers to the Mun, did some Minmus flybys, and a bunch of contracts on or near Kerbin, up to LKO.

Jeb's crappy rocket, Munnin

Spoiler

H7hyULn.png

Munnin's final orbit (it got gravity boosted several times over the course of several game months)

Spoiler

w7QnTQm.png

Val's rescue vehicle, Jebget

Spoiler

b2pQcCc.png

NYnJWmR.png

I kept playing the same career save after rescuing Jeb, and left the Munnin command module where it was. It got slingshotted several more times, and is currently in solar orbit near Duna. I might do another recovery mission and turn it into a space museum or something.

full albums:

Misadventures in Space

Operation Jebget

1. Attempting to dock with space station

2. Frantically tapping directional buttons for precise RCS control

3. Accidentally pressed Z when it should be A

4. Vector engines roaring at full throttle

5. Confetti ensues

Edited by ARS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.