[1.4.2] Chatterer Extended - more kerbalized chatter for "Chatterer" [v0.6]

hoover2701

On 5/12/2017 at 1:31 PM, hoover2701 said:

Oh man, I was afraid of that question! :P To be honest I have never even bothered with that tool as a user (I use JSGME Mod Enabler since Silent Hunter 2 days).

JSGME perfected the process of installing and uninstalling mods years ago. It's perfect! And yet, people insist on reinventing the wheel, over and over, and I dunno why....

5 hours ago, Red Stapler said:

Thanks again for all of the updates hoover2701!

Chatterer Extended is working like a charm and all the new tracks sound great.

:cool:

That's good to hear! As the quality of the source material is quite inconsistent the biggest challenge is to achieve the right pitch. Sometimes this is almost impossible as people also tend to have different voices! :wink: Thank you very much for your comment. This little extension has been downloaded more than 2000 times according to Spacedock. It's cool to know that KSP-players now listen to my "homegrown" Kerbal chatter!

2 hours ago, White Owl said:

JSGME perfected the process of installing and uninstalling mods years ago. It's perfect! And yet, people insist on reinventing the wheel, over and over, and I dunno why....

I agree with you. I have never understood why people complain about MOD-organization. I use JSGME since 2001 and never looked back. Maybe it's because I'm old. Young people want to check "Automatic Updates" and then let the machines do the work for the rest of their lives. Using JSGME I still have the feeling to be in charge and to understand what I'm doing. I don't want to give this control away.

So I am missing something with this mod.  The downloaded Chatterer Extended  mod once unzipped does not contain a 'Chatter_Extended'   folder,  just a 'Chatterer'.   Of course the 'Chatterer' folder already exists in my Game directory and it works fine.  

I renamed the Chatter Extended folder to Chatter_Extended but in game Chatterer does not pull up the added files. 

I see no one else brought this up so it must be my interpretation of the installation instructions is off.

Thanks

Dave T

16 hours ago, caodwolf said:

So I am missing something with this mod.  The downloaded Chatterer Extended  mod once unzipped does not contain a 'Chatter_Extended'   folder,  just a 'Chatterer'.   Of course the 'Chatterer' folder already exists in my Game directory and it works fine.  

I renamed the Chatter Extended folder to Chatter_Extended but in game Chatterer does not pull up the added files. 

I see no one else brought this up so it must be my interpretation of the installation instructions is off.

Thanks

Dave T

You are right. I am so used to using the JSGME Mod Enabler that I described how to implement this extension with JSGME instead of the procedure without JSGME. Of course you have to put the "Chatterer" folder in your GameData folder (or the "GameData" folder into your KSP-directory which has the same result). This results in adding several new folders in the "Chatterer/Sounds/Chatter" folder. Then continue as described in the first post. Sorry for that!

Chatterer folder before adding "Chatterer Extended":

0Qiai9J.jpg

Chatterer folder after adding "Chatterer Extended" (added folders in red):

c38LGKr.jpg

I hope this helps. I will correct the first post of this thread.

Chatterer Extended v0.5 is ready for download.

Source material for STS-51d soundclips originates once again from the NASA Archives.  Read more about the mission here.

100 new Chatterer files for your hearing pleasure (including female chatter). These clips fit the original soundfiles perfectly. As always I'd like to hear any comments, criticism or questions. :D

On 21.5.2017 at 6:45 AM, StevieC said:

Here's what I was thinking of

I will have a look at this...

Edited by hoover2701

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Love the update, but you forgot to update the .version file, so AVC & CKAN still think that version 0.4 is installed

But I did update the file. If I download the current version from Spacedock my version file looks like this:

KCmuMgU.jpg

Isn't that correct?

The KSP-AVC shows it as 0.5.0.0 as well. Am I missing something?

1JoTQZR.jpg

Edited by hoover2701

On 5/18/2017 at 11:02 PM, hoover2701 said:

I agree with you. I have never understood why people complain about MOD-organization. I use JSGME since 2001 and never looked back. Maybe it's because I'm old. Young people want to check "Automatic Updates" and then let the machines do the work for the rest of their lives. Using JSGME I still have the feeling to be in charge and to understand what I'm doing. I don't want to give this control away.

Hey, careful now. Let's not blame an interest in automation on "young people" :wink: -- Automated updates streamline the time *maintaining* the game and allow for more time *playing* it -- I'm sure many of us are only able to play in short bursts, and I find that I'm far more likely to be managing mods and conflicts than actually flying missions. Ah, well.

12 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Hey, careful now. Let's not blame an interest in automation on "young people" :wink: -- Automated updates streamline the time *maintaining* the game and allow for more time *playing* it -- I'm sure many of us are only able to play in short bursts, and I find that I'm far more likely to be managing mods and conflicts than actually flying missions. Ah, well.

Of course my post was a little provocative but to me fiddling around with the PC is what makes PC gaming what it is. I do not want a "streamlined" experience. As I said I like to be in charge and using JSGME I understand the structure of mods and their interrelations far better than someone who depends on CKAN (at least that's what I believe). No doubt it's a great tool for many KSP players but it's not for me. I didn't want to offend anyone with my remark. It's just strange that there seem to be so few people here that use JSGME which I think is the perfect middle route between hardcore "Do-It-Yourself-Nerds" and "Automated Life"-guys! :wink:

Chatterer Extended v0.6 is ready for download.

Source material for Apollo 12 (45 clips) and Apollo 17 (70 clips) originate once again from the NASA Archives

115 new Chatterer files for your hearing pleasure.

Notable things: Pete Conrad (Apollo 12) has the best kerbalized voice ever! :D And Harrison "Jack" Schmitt (Apollo 17) seems to be quite an emotional character. It was very fun "kerbalizing" him. His enthusiasm is carried over perfectly to his Kerbal voice!

I'll mark this as ready for 1.3 as soon as the original Chatterer gets updated for the new version. I hope you enjoy the new update! Feel free to comment.

BTW: Do you know this site? It's fantastic!

apollo17.org

@IvanSanchez: Thank you very much for dropping by and for the nice words. My modding skills are near to non-existent so I have no other means to contribute to this great community than some ogg-files for an already existing mod. Happy to hear you like my extension for Chatterer. I have great fun recording these clips so it's nice to see people having the same fun listening to them!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Starfire70 said:

LOL. I just listened to a bunch of Kerbals break out into song on the way to the Mun.

I don't know if that's from the clips you added or the original clips, but that was awesome!

That's from STS 61c. I think the original is at around the 51 minute mark in the flight highlights audio here.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.