Regenerative Braking

So we have our wonderful rover wheels with electric motors ... what we don't have is regenerative braking, while almost all real world vehicles do. And it makes even more sense to have it on other worlds.

Having this, we can suddenly build other stuff as well.

For example ... windmills!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine

Currently there is no way of converting kinetic energy into a resource ... which is a bit strange.

Edited by Azimech

I don't think Rover wheels have friction brakes.  Real rovers don't move all that fast and to stop they use electo magnetic resistance braking (I think).

Edited by Alshain

10 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I like this idea. Although I'm not sure how you would make a ram air turbine/windmill from the rover wheels...

It's the same concept.  Kinetic energy converts to electricity.  Presumably if Squad coded such a module it could be used by modders for such purpose.

Just now, Alshain said:

It's the same concept.  Kinetic energy converts to electricity.  Presumably if Squad coded such a module it could be used by modders for such purpose.

No, I understand that part. What I'm wondering is about stock construction of a windmill. I don't think we can attach wings or so to wheels, and I don't think a rotating craft can turn a rover wheel that is stationary.

It would be cool for modders to implement such a module though.

4 minutes ago, qzgy said:

No, I understand that part. What I'm wondering is about stock construction of a windmill. I don't think we can attach wings or so to wheels, and I don't think a rotating craft can turn a rover wheel that is stationary.

It would be cool for modders to implement such a module though.

Well, it doesn't really matter since there is no wind.  But he didn't say stock.

19 hours ago, Azimech said:

Having this, we can suddenly build other stuff as well.

For example ... windmills!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_air_turbine

A ram air turbine can be emulated in KSP by building a propfan part with an intake module and machCurve, but set the machCurve so that the intake produces nothing while (nearly) still, and have the intake produce ElectricCharge instead of IntakeAir.

Additionally, the prop engines in Karbonite have a Firespitter module such that they visibly spin slowly (while not running) when the craft is moving fast as though they were responding to fluid dynamics.

For converting braking force to Ec, I think the KSPWheel people can make it happen. As I suggested in a similar thread, maybe static windmills can use a function of solar exposure and atmosphere pressure (and perhaps a per-planet multiplier config where you can state a given planet would often have so much wind force, or so little) and they will operate best at a goldilocks region in that function.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

As I suggested in a similar thread, maybe static windmills can use a function of solar exposure and atmosphere pressure (and perhaps a per-planet multiplier config where you can state a given planet would often have so much wind force, or so little) and they will operate best at a goldilocks region in that function.

I think also there should be some random aspect to it, as the wind is not constant, but maybe totaling up to some number set by that function. Idk, but wind is kinda random so it might be a godd idea to model that too.

14 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I think also there should be some random aspect to it, as the wind is not constant,

The Community Resource Pack generates noise maps for the seeding of resources on a planet's surface, affected by the global seed value stored near the top of a persistence file. Perhaps the wind randomizer can also have this and if possible, the noise map could also rotate around the planet like EVE clouds.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

The Community Resource Pack generates noise maps for the seeding of resources on a planet's surface, affected by the global seed value stored near the top of a persistence file. Perhaps the wind randomizer can also have this and if possible, the noise map could also rotate around the planet like EVE clouds.

That seems like a good idea. Although, it might be also nice to model maps so that certain biomes have a higher chance of getting seeded with wind. That way, the player is rewarded for putting a windmill in a place with a high likelihood of wind, like plains or a desert.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Although, it might be also nice to model maps so that certain biomes have a higher chance of getting seeded with wind.

CRP (Community Resource Pack) and Stock itself do this already so that factor would be the easiest part to lay down into config files. It would allow for more precision than my per-planet config that I suggested earlier and may remove the need for a "rotating noise map." This would make a great base value on top of which the other modifiers (Sun exposure and air pressure) could be applied.

Just now, JadeOfMaar said:

CRP (Community Resource Pack) and Stock itself do this already so that factor would be the easiest part to lay down into config files. It would allow for more precision than my per-planet config that I suggested earlier and may remove the need for a "rotating noise map." This would make a great base value on top of which the other modifiers (Sun exposure and air pressure) could be applied.

Ahh, ok. I do not really have experience in these sorts of things.

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I like this idea. Although I'm not sure how you would make a ram air turbine/windmill from the rover wheels...

The same way you make a stock propeller craft, in this case the forward motion of the plane windmills the blades, the shaft drives a rover wheel.

If we ever get weather in KSP, a nice challenge would be to create a real sized, reliable wind turbine.

2 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

A ram air turbine can be emulated in KSP by building a propfan part with an intake module and machCurve, but set the machCurve so that the intake produces nothing while (nearly) still, and have the intake produce ElectricCharge instead of IntakeAir.

Additionally, the prop engines in Karbonite have a Firespitter module such that they visibly spin slowly (while not running) when the craft is moving fast as though they were responding to fluid dynamics.

For converting braking force to Ec, I think the KSPWheel people can make it happen. As I suggested in a similar thread, maybe static windmills can use a function of solar exposure and atmosphere pressure (and perhaps a per-planet multiplier config where you can state a given planet would often have so much wind force, or so little) and they will operate best at a goldilocks region in that function.

Yep, I've created such parts. I wanted a scoop for measuring RPM on my piston engines. Unfortunately the module isn't programmed for rotary motion.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.