The easy way of docking (works even without RCS)

Human Person

I found some really nice and easy ways of docking I wanted to share. Since my time today is limited, I'm not going to finishing this post right away, I'll do further editing of the OP to include more methods. Everyone is welcome to share theirs, if they're better explained than mine or new I'll include them with a reference to the author.

1. My absultely favorite method I can't believe I haven't thought of earlier.

Really, I just discovered this method very recently and I hit my forehead onto the table for not thinking of it earlier.

Dependencies: 

(- having completed the rendezvous maneuver successfully (this tutorial is just on docking))

- Torque wheels on both vessels

- Control over both vessels (all SAS features on both vessels)

- propulsion on one vessel (not necessarily RCS)

1.: get the two vessels close together (less than 100 Meters should be fine) and cancel out relative velocity as precise as possible (0.1 m/s might be too much). To do this, switch to target mode, point retrograde and burn (very gently) until your velocity-indicator reads 0.0 m/s. If you're not close enough to your target, get closer first.

2. tell SAS to point towards the target. Make sure RCS is disabled while the ship turns to prevent any change in relative velocity. It needs to stay zero.

3. switch to the other vessel using the "/" button. 

4. repeat step 2 with the other vessel.

5. Throttle up very gently on any of the two vessels until you move towards the target at 0,5 to 1 m/s. If your relative velocity was zeroed out sufficiently and the distance between them wasn't too big, they will dock.

this method works surprisingly well, even with very big and sluggish vehicles.

Edited by Physics Student

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎13 at 11:34 AM, Physics Student said:

I found some really nice and easy ways of docking I wanted to share. Since my time today is limited, I'm not going to finishing this post right away, I'll do further editing of the OP to include more methods. Everyone is welcome to share theirs, if they're better explained than mine or new I'll include them with a reference to the author.

1. My absultely favorite method I can't believe I haven't thought of earlier.

Really, I just discovered this method very recently and I hit my forehead onto the table for not thinking of it earlier.

Dependencies: 

(- having completed the rendezvous maneuver successfully (this tutorial is just on docking))

- Torque wheels on both vessels

- Control over both vessels (all SAS features on both vessels)

- propulsion on one vessel (not necessarily RCS)

1.: get the two vessels close together (less than 100 Meters should be fine) and cancel out relative velocity as precise as possible (0.1 m/s might be too much). To do this, switch to target mode, point retrograde and burn (very gently) until your velocity-indicator reads 0.0 m/s. If you're not close enough to your target, get closer first.

2. tell SAS to point towards the target. Make sure RCS is disabled while the ship turns to prevent any change in relative velocity. It needs to stay zero.

3. switch to the other vessel using the "/" button. 

4. repeat step 2 with the other vessel.

5. Throttle up very gently on any of the two vessels until you move towards the target at 0,5 to 1 m/s. If your relative velocity was zeroed out sufficiently and the distance between them wasn't too big, they will dock.

this method works surprisingly well, even with very big and sluggish vehicles.

I can't believe I haven't thought about this in the beginning. Great work!

Edited by SpaceEnthusiast23

It helps if you set your target to the docking port you want to dock with, and your control from here to the docking port you intend to dock with before you begin your approach. Especially if you are docking with something like a station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.