Make a Seadragon

The sea dragon is a large two stage rocket designed for extremely heavy lifting.

Criteria

-have a part count under 50 (optional 50 points)

-must be about as large as the image (required)

-recoverable (optional 40 points)

-must launch from water (required)

-must be able to life a 10 meter tall and 3.75 meter payload (required)

-two stages (required)

-look like the Sea dragon (optional 20 points)

-take the assigned payload to minmus (optional 70 points)

-low tech (no nukes, RTGs, no ion engines required)

-if it goes to any body beyond minmus 400 points.

-if it goes to any other star you should work at NASA.

- show me valid proof it met the criteria, UI must be visable on all screen shots.

-you can use any mod that isn't cheaty (hyper edit is allowed for testing only)

leaderboard

1. SevenPerForce-most 140 points (most ingenuity)

Edited by Abstract_Kerman

1 minute ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

must be have a part count under 50 (required)

Why? This is challenge is then impossible in stock, if all other criteria are met. Tweakscale would be required.

3 minutes ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

must be about as large as the image (required)

Why must it be as large as the image? If other players can make it smaller and still meet the required criteria for a replica-esque Sea Dragon, why should it have to be that big.

2 minutes ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

low tech (no nukes, RTGs, no ion engines required)

Also why this?

Just now, qzgy said:

Why? This is challenge is then impossible in stock, if all other criteria are met. Tweakscale would be required.

Why must it be as large as the image? If other players can make it smaller and still meet the required criteria for a replica-esque Sea Dragon, why should it have to be that big.

Also why this?

These are because the sea dragon has to be simple, like the real thing it was supposed to be a big dumb booster. And I said you can use mods.

Just now, Abstract_Kerman said:

These are because the sea dragon has to be simple, like the real thing it was supposed to be a big dumb booster. And I said you can use mods.

Yes, but some players do not WANT to use mods, like myself.

Here's my submission.

Part count is 117 without the launch transport and erection mechanism, but 88 of that is payload, so the actual part count is 29, which certainly qualifies as "big dumb booster".

It definitely looks like the Sea Dragon, though it's obviously not quite that big, because I don't use mods.

I used a 12x3.75 meter fairing, so that was the limit on vehicle diameter. In order to keep it looking realistic, I couldn't make it any bigger, so this is a Sea Dragon Mini.

The main engines are all gimbal-locked and there are no active reaction wheels. RCS is disabled on the way up. The only reaction control is four Swivels set up as Vernier thrusters.

Payload is an orange tank blanketed in RCS tanks and thrusters, with the attached Mark 2 capsule. The tank can be delivered to your standard space station or fuel depot; the capsule then returns independently and lands.

I don't have mods to allow for part persistence, but if you want me to throw a probe core and some chutes on the first stage to demonstrate that it can be recovered, I will. 

21 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Here's my submission.

Part count is 117 without the launch transport and erection mechanism, but 88 of that is payload, so the actual part count is 29, which certainly qualifies as "big dumb booster".

It definitely looks like the Sea Dragon, though it's obviously not quite that big, because I don't use mods.

I used a 12x3.75 meter fairing, so that was the limit on vehicle diameter. In order to keep it looking realistic, I couldn't make it any bigger, so this is a Sea Dragon Mini.

The main engines are all gimbal-locked and there are no active reaction wheels. RCS is disabled on the way up. The only reaction control is four Swivels set up as Vernier thrusters.

Payload is an orange tank blanketed in RCS tanks and thrusters, with the attached Mark 2 capsule. The tank can be delivered to your standard space station or fuel depot; the capsule then returns independently and lands.

I don't have mods to allow for part persistence, but if you want me to throw a probe core and some chutes on the first stage to demonstrate that it can be recovered, I will. 

1st place most ingenious and eccentric design - 140 points

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.