[CHALLENGE] Create the fastest stock plane you can.

On 5/16/2017 at 7:41 PM, Tidus Klein said:

XD haha don't feel bad planes are kinda my thing, not to mention that thing is on fire the whole time and it's literally a min max machine.

How obsolete was my second entry when I made it?

6 minutes ago, colfighter said:

How obsolete was my second entry when I made it?

I don't know, I have no idea what the max speed for the whiplash is. Comparing my plane to yours is like apples to oranges.

mine uses the rapiers and yours the whiplash, Ive been playing this game for a good 4 years and have many tricks in my bag. I would not call your run obsolete, I would call it science! Ya learned something from it and that's all that matters. You know what the difference between science and screwing around is? 

Sciance ya take notes :P

S-41 Taurus

Top speed = 1492 m/s

A medium SSTO.

12 RAPIER engines, with two nuclear engines

Spoiler

0B83E61BB20A9B04C1B1040F4DB36AEFF7908C00

I submitted this because it achieved this speed on a run without any modifications towards speed, if that counts for anything. :/

On 16 May 2017 at 0:10 PM, Secret Agent Kirrim said:

Jet engines and SSTO engines are allowed. Rocket engines aren't.

Re-entry heating is now allowed.

Bonus points too  for re-entry heating.

You'll need to limit fuel types.

A RAPIER on LF maxes out at 1,755m/s or so, but if you then flick them into closed-cycle oxidising mode you can continue to accelerate until you burn up or run out of fuel.

There have been plenty of jet speed challenges before, and they all inevitably end up around 1,755. It could be interesting to see what folks can achieve in closed-cycle mode...

You need to keep heating on to make it interesting, though. Otherwise it's just a ΔV contest.

What do you mean by "mesosphere", BTW? Better to give the altitude limit in metres.

Edited by Wanderfound

1 hour ago, Wanderfound said:

A RAPIER on LF maxes out at 1,755m/s or so, but if you then flick them into closed-cycle oxidising mode you can continue to accelerate until you burn up or run out of fuel.

There have been plenty of jet speed challenges before, and they all inevitably end up around 1,755. It could be interesting to see what folks can achieve in closed-cycle mode...

You need to keep heating on to make it interesting, though. Otherwise it's just a ΔV contest.

What do you mean by "mesosphere", BTW? Better to give the altitude limit in metres.

The mesosphere is the third layer of the atmosphere and, as the name suggests, the middle layer. It is the second coldest layer, next to the exosphere.

7 hours ago, Wanderfound said:

There is a idea, set a altitude limit, lets say 30,000m and other then that no holds bared, I would personally like to see another fastest under 1000m challenge...that was a Fun one

http://m.imgur.com/a/RM3St

edit: what What's up with imgur!!? That's not my gallery

edit edit: fixed it

Edited by Tidus Klein

• 2 weeks later...

The Zypher

1740m/s

Much tweaking, and testing brought The Zypher into reality. I had done experiments with it safely running 1680m/s, but after trimming down the luxurious yaw control that people say you need, I was able to bring the vessel to 1740m/s, although it quickly fell apart after reaching this speed.

http://imgur.com/a/IHXwH

This is late, although it bypasses his speed by a fair amount, also with heating.

Edited by Dman0829

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2017 at 4:08 AM, Dman0829 said:

The Zypher

1740m/s

Much tweaking, and testing brought The Zypher into reality. I had done experiments with it safely running 1680m/s, but after trimming down the luxurious yaw control that people say you need, I was able to bring the vessel to 1740m/s, although it quickly fell apart after reaching this speed.

http://imgur.com/a/IHXwH

This is late, although it bypasses his speed by a fair amount, also with heating.

But what about pics of the craft and in flight demonstrating flight profile?

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, KillerMac&Cheese said:

I know I'm really late, but are vector engines allowed since it is a "liquid Fuel engine?" 

Two and a half years too late... Also no, the Vector doesn’t count as it uses oxidiser, and liquid fuel engines refers to engines that either use liquid fuel and air (jets) or just liquid fuel (nuclear).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.