ExtraTerrestrial GroundStations

As we know, There's an option in Difficulty enabling Extra GroundStations. Letting us Depend on them for Signals on Kerbin, and Build Relay network for Poles and DeadZones. 

Now, being inspired, and for fun, I Launched Selene-1 Relay GroundStation for Mün and as Mockup Test for Vidhyoot-II Launcher. The problems I faced is that any two groundStations (actually station and a Relay just 250KM far landed) Dont connect each other, and Depend on relays. My first ground station, have signals that passes through mün surface, that I supposed to Occlude, and is it Possible for a probe at north polar orbit to connect a series of ground station on mun and connet relays on kerbin on low orbit.

I had this Plans for my new Mun Base, Connection on Far Side, as Synchronized orbit are not possible.

I cant perfectly explain the problem and express my plans, Pics to be added soon.

Although you cannot get Mun-synchronous orbits inside Mun SOI, you can put two sats to the same orbit around Kerbin as Mun's slightly in front of and behind Mun SOI. Then, you need just another two sats on the orbit around the Mun for all your relaying needs.

Edited by Pand5461

Not sure if I understood correct.

You said that the one issue its that any, or some, pair of ground stations don’t connect? It may be a case of obstructed line of sight because of the terrain, to solve that you will need to figure out what is blocking and how to circumvent it. Connecting only the stations is somewhat easy, providing signal coverage for an entire area is a whole different issue. In any case high ground is what you are looking for.

The other point you mentioned its that the surface is not occluding signal as you expected. AFAIK there is a setting somewhere to fix this, butt I don’t remember and can't check now.

Just now, Spricigo said:

Not sure if I understood correct.

You said that the one issue its that any, or some, pair of ground stations don’t connect? It may be a case of obstructed line of sight because of the terrain, to solve that you will need to figure out what is blocking and how to circumvent it. Connecting only the stations is somewhat easy, providing signal coverage for an entire area is a whole different issue. In any case high ground is what you are looking for.

The other point you mentioned its that the surface is not occluding signal as you expected. AFAIK there is a setting somewhere to fix this, butt I don’t remember and can't check now.

Actually Signal passes through the surface are not occluded by Crater walls  Landed), Mountains,  few 200 km away and mun's curvature.

The Connection between vessel not possible, even a few 100 KM from station.

I'm trying to keep my orbits clean, Mun have twice the satellites than Kerbin, So instead of Many Relays, with debris in orbit, A few powerful GroundStations are much Effective.

Well, signal seems to be blocked by the virtual sea-level surface, not visible terrain. So, given Mun radius is 200 km and typical elevation 2 km, ground stations can see each other from ~50 km apart, if you won't put them onto lowlands. Which means you need at least 25 stations to have a continuous coverage along equator. And power will be an issue since the stations on the night side are going to be in darkness for about 18 hours every Munar day/Kerbin Munth.

All you really need for your ground station are three satellites in high~ish orbit around the Mün. Much more effective than ground stations. Satellites need to be equal distance apart and have the same orbital period and be far enough away from the Mün surface that they can constantly communicate with each other... that way your surface base would be able to constantly relay back to Kerbin.

The idea of powerful ground stations is cute but really impractical.

EDIT: Or you could do as Panda said to get polar coverage.

Edited by Ohm is Futile

6 hours ago, Ohm is Futile said:

All you really need for your ground station are three satellites in high~ish orbit around the Mün. Much more effective than ground stations. Satellites need to be equal distance apart and have the same orbital period and be far enough away from the Mün surface that they can constantly communicate with each other... that way your surface base would be able to constantly relay back to Kerbin.

The idea of powerful ground stations is cute but really impractical.

EDIT: Or you could do as Panda said to get polar coverage.

Accurate orbits, Never, I got a accurate orbit, for rendezvous I use mechjeb, even my comms relay network over Stationary kerbin is debug Tollbar work (for precision only). A polar Transfer is very hard and a Inclination chage over mun is delta-V consuming, For probes i use Weak Inertial Stages.

I needed a challenge, so I started setting up Groundstations.

I found It useful for Interplanetary comms, in my First Duna Mission.

Edited by PrathamK

5 hours ago, PrathamK said:

Accurate orbits, Never, I got a accurate orbit, for rendezvous I use mechjeb, even my comms relay network over Stationary kerbin is debug Tollbar work (for precision only). A polar Transfer is very hard and a Inclination chage over mun is delta-V consuming, For probes i use Weak Inertial Stages.

All you need is three satellite in a roughly equatorial triangle formation to cover everything except,  maybe, the poles.  If MJ don't have a routine for this at least the readout of orbital period make it trivial. 

There is a example of how it's done : 

Spoiler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.