Stratzenblitz75

The Speed of Ground - A study into how KSP terrain colliders handle land vehicles with high magnitudes of velocity.

32 posts in this topic

Planet meshes are still PQS based. Check out this presentation from around 30mins 30secs in, it'll explain a lot about how KSP renders it's LOD.

4 people like this

The maximum level for Kerbin varies depending on your terrain quality settings, but it can be as high as 11 subdivisions, which is indeed a pretty dense mesh for the surface, but that level of depth only exists for a few quads around you. As you move about, quads that you approach will subdivide to max level, while quads you leave behind will collapse back into a lower level.

This sounds like fodder for an Experiment!

Can you get a higher land speed by reducing the terrain quality setting so that the quads that are maximum level are physically larger, and thus have bigger colliders loading further away?

1 person likes this

I'll put this here, which may or may not be relevant to the conversation:

2 people like this

On 17.5.2017 at 8:39 PM, monophonic said:

Yes, you have managed to outrun KSP's ability to keep ground under you. You are right that it only considers a rectangular area around your craft for physics. I found some word of god about it from an old reddit thread.

This is pretty common, the elders scroll games and fallout does the same, however here its more about loading AI for npc and enemies. 
You can see this in the game, in skyrim you get an quest who track an khajiit caravan, in Obvion and Fallout 3 you also get quest markers to moving npc. 
They will move but not be attacked by enemies outside of the load zone, once inside they will get attacked. 
This also give some weird results 

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

This sounds like fodder for an Experiment!

Can you get a higher land speed by reducing the terrain quality setting so that the quads that are maximum level are physically larger, and thus have bigger colliders loading further away?

Interesting idea!

I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

3 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'll put this here, which may or may not be relevant to the conversation:

Indeed, it is relevant. Its another instance where a mod changes how the stock game loads the colliders. In this case, Bradley used the better time warp mod's slo mo feature to get around the stock limit. But why does this slow-mo work? Stock time-dilation does not have this effect; during my low FPS runs, the time dilation slowed time to a fraction of normal speed, but this had no effect on the top speed reached.

Perhaps the mod maintainer, @linuxgurugamercould give us some insight?

Since there is chunk loading...
Have anyone tried different start points?

If chunk loading disappearence starts at the opposite edges of a chunk, you can get up to chunk diagonal length difference

Is this the general relativity theory of KSP?