How to draw abstract art. (tutorial)

cratercracker

Hey careless forum! How is it going?

Maybe you know me by my collection of abstract art.

If you are not familiar with it here is the link- LOL

So after you've seen what you are going to learn now, lets begin working.

Class 1, Topic 1.- Babysteps.

So, now, you will need to find MS Paint. (sorry i don't know whether there is paint in Mac, but if there is do your best)

After you've found Paint, lets begin with very simple task:

1. Choose any color you want in Pallete, which you will find in the right corner. (except entrirely black or entirely white)

2. Find button (close to pallete, a bit more to the left), there will be 4 sizes of lines. Pick the 3 pixel size. (you can acknowledge the size by hovering over it)

4. Find ''Figures" button, it is somewhere in the middle, just a tiny bit to the right.

Now lets find rhombus (flipped square), place it in the middle of the picture.

TJgQPoo.png

Then, using simple strait lines,lets make the grid. I won't explain it, i will just say two things: it makes stuff 3d, just copy it.

jDZwidt.png

Now lets paint it. Now i will give you a clue how to use light and shadow. By your IMAGINATION place somewhere (in the corner, down,up) a light emmitter. 

Take you base color and make 4 versions of it: one brighter than the base color, base color itself, a little bit darker than base color and the darkest one. (not entirely black, just darker)

Find the right coloring tool. (i don't remember how is it called, it is just a picture of tin can with paint spillt out, sorry)

Now place the color in such order: Brighter- closer (to light emmitter) Darker-Further.

Here is what you're supposed to get:

rhKr7mP.png

That is your first drawing! Congratullations if you made it so far.

Class 2 Topic 1- Void

Voids are great decoration to any drawing, they can be used as atmospheres of planets, special effects and if you are an abstract artist it is a little, yet great  way to show something in 3D.

Due to technical difficulties, I am able to show you only the end result.

Sorry.

So, currently, we need to create another drawing, then we need to paint the whole background black.

Now, lets put something into the center, it can be absolutely everything, just not very big, probably as big as our previous drawing scaled down to 1/2 of its previous size.

Now to the drawing..

Lets choose a certain color and make a square out of it, make sure it is far enough from out object in the center. (Make sure the color is bright enough)

Lets put another square, witch is a little bit smaller than the previous one, make sure they are close to each other (20 millimeters)

Paint the space between them, it should be colored the same color as the squares are.  

Then, make a few (6 or more, or less) variations of the color that are darker than the previous.

Conduct the same operation until you will end up with absolute darkness.

You should get something like this:

MgFaOEd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

(The central thing is unnecessary)

If it will have enough response, i will make another lesson.

POST YOUR THINGUS

Edited by cratercracker

Gave it a try, but found teh result too gedonistic for me.

Also, a square is not so "abstract", its a "solid", "concrete", "implemented", "material". Especially if it's a pyramide.

Need more laconism.

For example:

Spoiler

.                                                                         .

These two black (or gray - who knows) dots are almost nothing.
But you can realise how the nothing keeps distance from top, bottom and (surprise!) left margins. 
Also if here were only one dot, it would fall to the left. But together... Together they expand, they extend, they escape beyond from the trivial reality,

I call them "An unputdownably breathtaking feeling of non-existent power of nothing. Rarefaction-73/19."

(Here "73" refers to the visible space. Space character number between these two dots. 73 because a perfect number 72 is extended with a monade, making it unperfect, raw 
19 is the number of space you must additionally imagine yourself.)

Edited by kerbiloid

30 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Gave it a try, but found teh result too gedonistic for me.

Also, a square is not so "abstract", its a "solid", "concrete", "implemented", "material". Especially if it's a pyramide.

Need more laconism.

For example:

Hide contents

.                                                                         .

These two black (or gray - who knows) dots are almost nothing.
But you can realise how the nothing keeps distance from top, bottom and (surprise!) left margins. 
Also if here were only one dot, it would fall to the left. But together... Together they expand, they extend, they escape beyond from the trivial reality,

I call them "An unputdownably breathtaking feeling of non-existent power of nothing. Rarefaction-73/19."

(Here "73" refers to the visible space. Space character number between these two dots. 73 because a perfect number 72 is extended with a monade, making it unperfect, raw 
19 is the number of space you must additionally imagine yourself.)

Heh,i guess that is modern art in the end. But did you look at the thread i linked?

Nice picture anyway!

(i'm doing second lesson called "Voids and Shines")

• 1 month later...
On 17.05.2017 at 3:35 AM, cratercracker said:

Hey careless forum! How is it going?

Maybe you know me by my collection of abstract art.

If you are not familiar with it here is the link- LOL

So after you've seen what you are going to learn now, lets begin working.

Class 1, Topic 1.- Babysteps.

So, now, you will need to find MS Paint. (sorry i don't know whether there is paint in Mac, but if there is do your best)

After you've found Paint, lets begin with very simple task:

1. Choose any color you want in Pallete, which you will find in the right corner. (except entrirely black or entirely white)

2. Find button (close to pallete, a bit more to the left), there will be 4 sizes of lines. Pick the 3 pixel size. (you can acknowledge the size by hovering over it)

4. Find ''Figures" button, it is somewhere in the middle, just a tiny bit to the right.

Now lets find rhombus (flipped square), place it in the middle of the picture.

TJgQPoo.png

Then, using simple strait lines,lets make the grid. I won't explain it, i will just say two things: it makes stuff 3d, just copy it.

jDZwidt.png

Now lets paint it. Now i will give you a clue how to use light and shadow. By your IMAGINATION place somewhere (in the corner, down,up) a light emmitter. 

Take you base color and make 4 versions of it: one brighter than the base color, base color itself, a little bit darker than base color and the darkest one. (not entirely black, just darker)

Find the right coloring tool. (i don't remember how is it called, it is just a picture of tin can with paint spillt out, sorry)

Now place the color in such order: Brighter- closer (to light emmitter) Darker-Further.

Here is what you're supposed to get:

rhKr7mP.png

That is your first drawing! Congratullations if you made it so far.

If it will have enough response, i will make another lesson.

POST YOUR THINGUS

Ooh! Aah!

2 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

Wow that is cool! Let's see if you can do something similar to my profile pic!

Good job!

(it is a planet)

So you want me to make one for your pic?

Gladly!

Edited by mabdi36

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but why this very accurate documental art is "abstract"? 

Spoiler

DAZHuPB.pngrhKr7mP.png

Everybody sees that these paintings depict the End of Universe, in all its dramatism.

Spoiler

lexx-20zd.jpg

The artist has very accurately caught that tragic moment, and masterfully translated into a technically very precise artistic image.

I'm beginning to suspect that at least one of you, maestros, was attending there in flesh.
(We indeed haven't seen what happened with that tiny orbital disco-station after it was pulled into the apocalyptic gravitational maelstrom.
Admit it, that MC was one of you?)

Spoiler

lexx-20a.jpg

Spoiler

Lexx, s2e20, End of Universe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.