How quickly does your KSP load?

Skylon

Well since mine takes 5 minutes on my least modded install (stock parts with gameplay addons), I usually browse this forum or check out discord. On something like RSS/RO its usually half an hour or more so by then I go get food, speak to someone, go rub some animals, eat some more and hope that KSP either didn't crash due to a screen resizing issue or that it loaded.

A couple minutes at most, even for my RO installs. My current laptop is much better once everything loads but the previous one loaded everything much faster.

1 hour ago, regex said:

A couple minutes at most, even for my RO installs. My current laptop is much better once everything loads but the previous one loaded everything much faster.

Can't wait until I get my new laptop. It's supposed to be 3.5Ghz single core (great for KSP), 8GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics card. It'll be AMAZING.

Compared to my current 1.49GH and 3GB of RAM, blah!

Uhm, when the MM-paches don't load from chache, it's around 17min. When they load from chache it takes around the 10 minutes. 
This is a current install of 9.7gb and around 56k mm-patches. 

(heavily modded RSS/RO/RP-0 install)

On the order of 10-12 minutes.   The shutdown process probably takes about that, too.  Neither is my favorite part of the process, but it's either deal with that or pony up the bucks for a new and more capable computer-- which I'll have to do at some point, but that point is not going to be right now.

On 5/16/2017 at 8:31 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Can't wait until I get my new laptop. It's supposed to be 3.5Ghz single core (great for KSP), 8GB RAM, NVIDIA graphics card. It'll be AMAZING.

Compared to my current 1.49GH and 3GB of RAM, blah!

How long have you been playing on your potato?

Back on topic, 1m11s - Some mods, nothing too heavy

42 minutes ago, Aru said:

1:25 with SSD, should get faster after I upgrade to Ryzen... I remember how painful it was before the SSD. I'm guessing CPU is the limiting factor now.

I can confirm, exchanged an 4th gen I5@3,2GHz for an 4th gen I7@4,8GHz and it loads about 100% faster.

40 seconds from clicking the hyperlink to the 'start game screen', with 34 mods installed (visual and some QOL mods)

For anyone taking quite a while on stock or near-stock, you may wanna have a looksee at your network connections.

One of the first posts I made on this forum was regarding my loading times being crazy, taking seconds on end to load simple things like flag textures -- turns out Unity likes to do the dumb thing of checking network connections first when locating assets, and if you have an inactive connection, like an unused VPN or Hamachi or something, it'll wait around for an annoyingly long timeout, for each and every asset.  Killing Hamachi's network connection took my old load time from over 10 minutes to around 2 or so?

It might be worth the while of some posting here to check on that, as it's a bug deep in Unity that I know wasn't fixed during the 1.1 community beta, and I'm pretty sure KSP's not moved to a newer version or mentioned including a patch to fix it of yet.

“What must it be, then, to bear the manifold tortures of hell forever? Forever! For all eternity! Not for a year or an age but forever. Try to imagine the awful meaning of this. You have often seen the sand on the seashore. How fine are its tiny grains! And how many of those tiny grains go to make up the small handful which a child grasps in its play. Now imagine a mountain of that sand, a million miles high, reaching from the earth to the farthest heavens, and a million miles broad, extending to remotest space, and a million miles in thickness, and imagine such an enormous mass of countless particles of sand multiplied as often as there are leaves in the forest, drops of water in the mighty ocean, feathers on birds, scales on fish, hairs on animals, atoms in the vast expanse of air. And imagine that at the end of every million years a little bird came to that mountain and carried away in its beak a tiny grain of that sand. How many millions upon millions of centuries would pass before that bird had carried away even a square foot of that mountain, how many eons upon eons of ages before it had carried away all. Yet at the end of that immense stretch time not even one instant of eternity could be said to have ended. At the end of all those billions and trillions of years eternity would have scarcely begun. And if that mountain rose again after it had been carried all away again grain by grain, and if it so rose and sank as many times as there are stars in the sky, atoms in the air, drops of water in the sea, leaves on the trees, feathers upon birds, scales upon fish, hairs upon animals – at the end of all those innumerable risings and sinkings of that immeasurably vast mountain not even one single instant of eternity could be said to have ended; even then, at the end of such a period, after that eon of time, the mere thought of which makes our very brain reel dizzily, eternity would have scarcely begun.”

― James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

Running off an SSD (with around 70 mods including all the SVE/EVE/Scatterer stuff = 5051 patches applied)...

• About 2 mins when applied from cache and
  • About 3 mins when not

Just enough time to grab a beer from the garage fridge.

Love my SSD. :) 

Edited by Red Stapler

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.