What Happened To Spaceport?

Chel

What happened to Kerbal Spaceport? Why when I visit the site do I just get a black 'chalkboard' like screen with the URL and a white bar or something? Did the site go down or something? Is Spaceport now like dead or something? I'm just curious, so don't get mad If this is a simple question or whatever. :cool:

4 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Is Spaceport now like dead or something? I'm just curious, so don't get mad If this is a simple question or whatever. :cool:

No, it's not now dead... It's been dead for... ages, really. From it's ashes rose Spacedock, though, so you can try that one.

Just now, Kerbart said:

No, it's not now dead... It's been dead for... ages, really. From it's ashes rose Spacedock, though, so you can try that one.

Ok. Also, I like your profile picture with the Soviet astronaut. :cool:

Just now, Kerbart said:

While actually from it's ashes rose kerbalstuff, and from thats ashes rose spacedock.

Spaceport's replacement was Curse, Kerbalstuff's replacement was Spacedock.

Spaceport and Kebrbalstuff were very loosely related, if at all.  The only connection is that after Spaceport shutdown and Curse failed, Kerbalstuff simply filled the void.

Simply put the story like this; Squad made a mod source called spaceport. It died and to replace it Squad used a database source known as Curse.

'This has made a lot of people angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move.' Due to advertisements and download wait times, players demanded better. So someone made a fan based mod hosting website known as KerbalStuff.

Sometime last year, KerbalStuff was shut down after money issues of the owner and other issues (I'm actually not too aware of the full story; ask someone else). So, to avoid returning to Curse, someone made a new 'KerbalStuff' known as Spacedock. Initially Spacedock was a quick fix and reused the exact same assets as KerbalStuff until the owner developed his own.

That is where we are today. Noting that KerbalStuff and Spacedock are not Squad official mod sources. The only official ones was Spaceport (when it was alive), and now Curse. 

KerbalStuff and Spacedock are fanbased and therefore, unofficial.

It should also be noted that after the fall of KerbalStuff, many smaller scale groups developed their own mod hosting sites. I assume most of them died or have remained mostly idle since their introduction with the debut of Spacedock.

Well, the owner was posting about how great it was and that he's have screenshots for us shortly.  That was Dec of 2014.  I guess I presumed KSP's official mod partner would hold up their end of the bargain.

Spaceport? That was a long time ago, i remember before Spaceport, there was Kerbal.net wich got shut down too. I dont think that was an official site though.

There was Kerbal Spaceport, but it sank into the swamp.  So then there was Kerbalstuff.  And that one sank into the swamp.  There was Curse.  That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp.  But the fourth one, Spacedock, stayed up.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:17 PM, klesh said:

Well, the owner was posting about how great it was and that he's have screenshots for us shortly.  That was Dec of 2014.  I guess I presumed KSP's official mod partner would hold up their end of the bargain.

There was no money in it for them.  They don't get traffic from KSP users, once KerbalStuff hit, and later Spacedock, people largely abandoned it.  I certainly don't bother with it, from a modder's perspective the UI sucks (which is really strange because BukkitDev was awesome and it was on Curse).  In the end, if you want my mods you have a choice... Spacedock or Github.

12 hours ago, razark said:

There was Kerbal Spaceport, but it sank into the swamp.  So then there was Kerbalstuff.  And that one sank into the swamp.  There was Curse.  That burned down, fell over, and then sank into the swamp.  But the fourth one, Spacedock, stayed up.

But Curse is still up, right?

Curse is up, but it's a total cluster right now...  at least that's been my experience.  The login for new mod devs is totally screwed up.  ...all twisted in with Twitch, who maybe has taken them over.  The next time I waste a half-hour of my life trying to defeat their login system, I'm taking my mod down.  Wish I never posted it there!

28 minutes ago, The Moose In Your House said:

But Curse is still up, right?

To the best of my knowledge.  I haven't actually tried downloading any mods recently.

(But that didn't fit the quote.)

Oh, wow, spaceport! Haven't heard that name in a looong time... I still think it was better than curse. I remember those days... *starts rambling on about how we had to install Kethane for in-situ resources in ye olden days*

Anyway, Spacedock is the mod sownload thingy now. It was built after Kerbalstuff went down.

5 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Oh, wow, spaceport! Haven't heard that name in a looong time... I still think it was better than curse. I remember those days... *starts rambling on about how we had to install Kethane for in-situ resources in ye olden days*

Anyway, Spacedock is the mod sownload thingy now. It was built after Kerbalstuff went down.

The last time I went on Spaceport  I almost downloaded a virus on my computer. ;(

Edited by The Moose In Your House

In fairness, Curse has outlasted one popular "community created" host (I use quotes here because it was made by someone who as far as I know neither played KSP nor cared for its community) and, judging by the recent tone of desperation for donations for Spacedock, looks to outlast another one. Curse is basically always up and has excellent DL speeds, something I wish I could say about the alternatives. It's far from perfect, and I really wish they had delivered on the mod manager support they promised, but in my experience it's a good, reliable host.

13 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

judging by the recent tone of desperation for donations for Spacedock, looks to outlast another one.

The call for donations is because they don't use ads.  It's all they use to pay the bills.  I don't think the site is in any particular trouble, but they can always use help if you can offer it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.