thecathasnolegs

how do i know where to put engines for a vtol rover?

Question

i know i need to put the engines on equal sides of the center of mass but i cant seem to figure out where they are. i know where the center of mass is but i need 2 engines on  either side of it to be equal.how do i  figure this out?

3 answers to this question

Welcome aboard, 

As there is a CoM indicator,  also there is a CoT (center of thrust) indicator. Adjust your staging/thrust limits so only the vertical engines contribute to de CoT and check if it line up with the CoM

Another important think to consider (vtol or not)  is how the CoM shift as you burn fuel.  Wouldn't be nice to design a vtol that spins uncontrollable with a few units of fuel burned. 

Post moved to Gameplay Questions, since it's seeking help rather than offering it. 

Posted (edited)

I would recommend using RCS Build Aid, which tells you where your center of mass will be when your fuel tanks are empty, as well as the exact amount of torque your engines produce - two vital pieces of info for VTOL design you can't easily find in stock. At least not as easily as with this mod. You could eyeball it, but that'll take significantly longer to design.

Edited by Wadusher0