KSP Challenge: Taking the scenic route!

ekf6HTEZncUmmBJcwpTodh8lnjLozaPsrsekQorm

Check out the amazing and creative entries of last week challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: "Taking the scenic route"

Launch a craft to orbit with the overlay turned off and no map view, optional a polar orbit AND OF COURSE LAND!
Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

Interesting challenge. The first trick will be knowing when you've  made orbit, although flying the same launch profile with a known booster should make that easy enough. The bigger trick will be making a good re-entry, although I guess that won't be too hard if you want to play safe and don't mind bleeding off speed for a few loops. Can we turn re-entry heating off?

Hmmmm, Getting to space should be kind of easy (famous last words). Reentry I believe I can handle. I think the hardest part will be achieving something resembling circularization. As long as Pe is above 70k who cares if Ap passes the dark side of Mun? Time to find my Pink Floyd CD. Probably need to load up Space Oddity too because you know, Red Shirt....

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Interesting challenge. The first trick will be knowing when you've  made orbit, although flying the same launch profile with a known booster should make that easy enough. The bigger trick will be making a good re-entry, although I guess that won't be too hard if you want to play safe and don't mind bleeding off speed for a few loops. Can we turn re-entry heating off?

Well, the camera switching to "orbit" mode should come in real handy for anyone trying this.

I did it using stock IVA a bunch of times... But it have navball, altimeter, speedometer and vertical speed indicator... The same info the overlay have... ಠ__ಠ
 And someone can use Telemachus or kOS or kRPC to trick ppl  1.0

6 hours ago, V7 Aerospace said:

Well, the camera switching to "orbit" mode should come in real handy for anyone trying this.

Very good idea, after this i think best wait  1.5, 2 min and then ... circularization burn into horizon...for 5 to 20 sec (depends on isp)...

Well this wasn't too hard

Spoiler

NSLmmsK.png

Launch

P6CgI7q.png

Kinda follows an r-7 esque shape, the craft (creatively named Untitled Spacecraft) accelerates up.

VMifOTc.png

Booster Ditch! Really hard to prevent myself from F2-F1, as I have muscle memory now for that...

TCFCp5I.png

Core stage goes on a bit further...

gteYUKY.png

Hullcam ish shot. Ditched soon afterwards for...

FAZOgUn.png

Circularization. I just guessed on this one.

Spoiler

To actually judge altitude (Above 70km, I just used the timewarp feaure :D)

VOozhgO.png

Somewhere in orbit

m1g70Pc.png

De-orbit burn. Kinda random ,boosted until the camera changed

XLtz9Ii.png

Trying to slow down more, but there's atmosphere. Also ditched that SM kinda module

l8xl4P7.png

Falling again.

bOzTaoe.png

Chute deployed

hHV9Dxu.png

Now completely deployed and slowing down

miedB0h.png

I was trying to burn to slow down a bit, but stuff still exploded

IVSvoo8.png

Capsule survived though - Success!

Would I do it again - not planning to.

Its actually easy well, The craft will burn, and then will music start, and burn till cameras turn, rotate to orbital view, wrap to check orbit, Burn till cameras switch again, and re-enter (above ocean) for correct altitude for parachutes, use crafts shadows, for accurate approximate values.

Pretty easy, will try, but my Imgur is broken, I don't know how to record. Will try now.

11 minutes ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

RASTER PROP MONITER!

Good choice, is it allowed, nothing about it.

Edited by PrathamK

I will assist @Badiehere and explain the challenge a bit further.

The idea is to get to a stable orbit and land again without any form of readouts.

- Turn the overlay / HUD off (F2) before you launch your craft

- No IVA

- No mods that give readouts or controll the craft

Note:

Just because the camera flips to Orbital mode doesn't mean you are already in orbit. But you are close!

You might ask "But how can I tell if I'm above 70km and in orbit?"

- Above 70km you can accelerate time more than 4x

- Timewarp around the planet once to confirm you are in orbit.

- If the game stops your Timewarp you are not in a stable orbit and have reentered the atmosphere.

Good luck everybody and don't forget to enjoy the view!!!!!

Edited by million_lights

15 minutes ago, million_lights said:

I will assist @Badiehere and explain the challenge a bit further.

The idea is to get to a stable orbit and land again without any form of readouts.

- Turn the overlay / HUD off (F2) before you launch your craft

- No IVA

- No mods that give readouts or controll the craft

Note:

Just because the camera flips to Orbital mode doesn't mean you are already in orbit. But you are close!

You might ask "But how can I tell if I'm above 70km and in orbit?"

- Above 70km you can accelerate time more than 4x

- Timewarp around the planet once to confirm you are in orbit.

- If the game stops your Timewarp you are not in a stable orbit and have reentered the atmosphere.

Good luck everybody and don't forget to enjoy the view!!!!!

This is what makes the challenge easy. Camera and time wrap and even background music.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.