Newbie help with building my first plane

jonpfl

All,

I don't know what it is but I don't feel like I can accomplish anything in this game.  Trying to get 1 VIP into space and back and can't even do that :-(

Any tips?

Also, can someone point me to a bare bones basic aircraft so I can go from there?

Thx
jonpfl

1st question - why do you need a plane? If you need to get a VIP into space, try sticking them in a capsule with a probe core and parachute on top.

Response to plane help

Try going into sandbox, and looking at the Aeris 3A (or so. It should be the simplest one). See what you can learn from there.

Also, there's this good guide here

Explains most of the basics probably better than I can.

8 hours ago, qzgy said:

1st question - why do you need a plane? If you need to get a VIP into space, try sticking them in a capsule with a probe core and parachute on top.

Response to plane help

Try going into sandbox, and looking at the Aeris 3A (or so. It should be the simplest one). See what you can learn from there.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.  For the planes you can download, where do you put them (what folder)?

The reason I was looking to build a plane is that I have a bunch of contracts that say "take measurement at a certain location" and figure trying to get there with a rocket is going to be really hard.

Thx
jonpfl

Edited by jonpfl

3 hours ago, jonpfl said:

For the planes you can download, where do you put them (what folder)?

You can either put them under Ships -> SPH in the main KSP folder, or under the same ships_> SPH under the save file you want.

Seriously though, you should try figuring all of the basic stuff in sandbox.

1 hour ago, jonpfl said:

All

What is wrong with this plane?  I cannot even get it to fire up!

screenshot2.png

Thx
jonpfl

You require an air intake. Jet engines unlike rocket engines, need outside air to function. Simply go to the 8th tab from the top (the one that looks like a wing) and there should be a small circular part with a hole in the center with the word "intake" in it's name. You need to attach that to your plane so that your jet engine has air to breathe.

That said; as far as the rest of your plane: make sure to add control surfaces (the small stubby wing parts, usually look like white rectangles) and one control surface at the back pointing up so you have a vertical stabilizer/rudder.

I would keep the wings at a normal angle, that much is probably to much. You will probably need control surfaces, but I don't know if you have unlocked them yet. You also don't have a lot of wing surface area for the amount of fuel you have, I would take out one of the fuel tanks. Your landing gear placement is backwards, you want a tricycle style layout, with the radial ones at the back.

TL;DR: Read the tutorial linked above. :wink:

Edited by MiffedStarfish

On 5/17/2017 at 11:27 PM, qzgy said:

Response to plane help

Great reference, but it's a bit outdated. Most notable problem with this guide is the section on drag. KSP now accounts for what's "in the airflow". Still a good starting point.

Also, welcome aboard @jonpfl !

From the picture, I can also tell your plane may have problems taking off, this is because it looks like you put a landing gear near the tail of the plane, but it limits pitch control very much by pushing against the ground when taking off. Move your rear landing gear closer to the CoM (but keep it at least a little behind the CoM or it will just fall backwards) and that should help.

You will also need an extra crew cabin or a probe core to control the plane if you plan on bringing a tourist since you need something/someone to pilot the craft and somewhere to seat the tourist. The cabin you currently have works, but it seats only one, so only room for the pilot or the tourist.

You have way too much fuel. Replace at least one of those tanks with structural fuselage (and or that crew cabin I was talking about). Mind the movement of the CoM, depending on which tank you replace.

I think most of the other problems were already mentioned.

On 5/22/2017 at 3:01 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

Your landing gear placement is backwards, you want a tricycle style layout, with the radial ones at the back.

That's hardly an issue, although it might steer backwards... but the gear is too far back.

Edited by Ohm is Futile

46 minutes ago, Ohm is Futile said:

Great reference, but it's a bit outdated. Most notable problem with this guide is the section on drag. KSP now accounts for what's "in the airflow". Still a good starting point.

Yeah - but as you said, most of the mechanics haven't changed except the drag.

On 5/22/2017 at 3:01 PM, MiffedStarfish said:

I would keep the wings at a normal angle, that much is probably to much. You will probably need control surfaces, but I don't know if you have unlocked them yet. You also don't have a lot of wing surface area for the amount of fuel you have, I would take out one of the fuel tanks. Your landing gear placement is backwards, you want a tricycle style layout, with the radial ones at the back.

TL;DR: Read the tutorial linked above. :wink:

They have control surfaces at the same time they unlock those wings.