KIS-Attached Parachute deployment bugs out whole KSC

Hey everybody, I just encountered a very weird bug and I wonder if anyone has encountered this before. So, I test-launched the huge 8-man MOLE space station with the Mk1 pod, piloted by a probe, to go rescue a bunch of Kerbals floating in space. The test launch went so well that I just went ahead and started rescuing the guys, woohoo! Well, after the fourth rendez-vous, I realized... I hadn't put any parachutes on this thing yet!!  

So, not to worry as they had plenty of food (I use USI-LS). I sent up Bill with an array of radial Real Chute parachutes and a wrench. He fastened them to the space station body as well as the adapter piece and one to the probe's head for good measure. I noticed as I was attaching the chutes that they weren't really appearing on the surface... they just got sucked up inside.

I figured it wasn't a big deal, I could still arm them from the staging menu. So, I armed them and returned to Kerbin... but as soon as the parachutes auto-deployed, the game warped me back into space and I got a popup saying congratulations on exploring the Sun. Returning to KSC, everything was black and all the Kerbals were listed M.I.A. I fast-forwarded time but the sun never rose again.

I reloaded a previous save, but the visual glitch persisted and my ship had weird holes in it. I have to go to sleep but I'm hoping a reload of the whole game will fix that... But does anyone have any insight as to what happened? I have a lot of mods... but this mainly involves KIS and KAS, and the the parts in question belonged to Real Chute & MOLE. Another mod in action is Deadly Reentry, but I don't think that's the culprit. Finally, this was my first ship ever using ReCoupler. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.