Krog34

Katyusha Rocket Launcher Truck (with free pivoting stock ball-joint hinge)

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Katyusha Rocket Launcher Truck

FPEgMoH.gif

KerbalX Craft File Here

UTt8MY3.gif

I've had this idea for a long time about connecting a lot SAS controllers and a claw in some manner in order to create some sort of stock hinge. I've finally gotten this setup to work nice and smooth. A grip of different wheels act as a nice cushy bearing housing for the weapons cylinder. 

PbpEfgF.gif

In the above GIF you can see the setup process. Stage once to activate fuel cells and separate the craft, the cylinder separates from the bottom while the weapons rack separates and then re-attaches at the top ultimately creating two separate crafts. After setup, control from the probe core at the front to take proper control of the weapons rack. Make sure SAS is on or you'll have no control!

uxonNiL.gif

As a unique feature, you can toggle the "Free Pivot" option on the claw in order to take advantage of free motion as the above GIF shows. You can do this with the rockets loaded, but it is more of a balancing act. The Ore Tanks at the front of the rack act as a counterweight and can be dumped by pressing 2 when necessary.

Edited by Krog34
14 people like this

That's really cool! Seems though not the most stable of things... (when in free pivot)

1 person likes this

Dang thats goood

1 person likes this

Certainly not a katyusha, but the pivot system is cool.

1 person likes this

And here I was thinking you had made some boring truck to transport rockets to the launchpad. Stock hinges and stock weapons, my two favorite things in one ship! Brilliant craft, I'll have to try it out. :)

2 people like this

I like the craft but how did you make those gifs?

1 person likes this

On 5/20/2017 at 8:24 AM, The Moose In Your House said:

I like the craft but how did you make those gifs?

I edited the GIF to be the length and content I wanted with Sony Vegas (though any editor will work) and then I used my favorite site, EzGIF to convert a video into a GIF. The kicker is optimizing the GIF so it's closer to 10 or 20MB instead of like 60MB+

Hope that helps!

Edited by Krog34
1 person likes this

I took your idea of a missile turret with vertical and horziontal hinges and made my own, smaller I-Beam version, to be mounted on warships.

Thanks for the idea! :)

2 people like this