What mods?

silbrulf

OK. I'm a semi-new player, and i started with ckan because once i found the "advanced tweakables" option in settings, the game got pretty simple... on ALL difficulties. but, I'm still new and with the volume of mods...

basically, I'm looking for a "must-have" list of mods that are realism based, add a bit more challenge, and DON'T add too many buttons. the 70 some mods i have are mostly parts (science mostly, but also bases and colonization-type), and seti/umbm/tac... but they seem to rely on other mods that create buttons on the toolbar that get overwhelming at this point. so,.. I NEED YOUR HAAALP! lol

Well, I'm not a mod guy, but if you want realism and a bit of added difficulty, AFAIK, then FAR and the mods that start with the word "Real" are going to be the ones you are looking for. Maybe RSS?

For challenge you can look in DangIt! and like mentuoned avove the Real Crowd:wink: Fuels, Engines and and and. Realism ovehaul. Deedly Reentry with Real Parachutes makes it challenging too. Sigmas Rescale above 3.2x is challenging too. As support for your game KER or MechJeb, the last has to many Automatiks IMPO. RCSBuildAid, CorrectCOM... they are to many to name them all... look at first here:

Try, decide and have fun. Nobody can say you for real which ones are the musthave because it is your playstile who decide what is needed.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

ok. new to the forum and i was going to ask that...

these are my mods; maybe youll get an idea and share a few of your own?

[spoiler=My mods] 
 [x]science! = makes things easier
 airplane plus = parts
 cacteye optics = parts/science
 connected living spaces = realism
 contract configurator = easier to use contract menu
 contract packs:
    bases and stations
    clever sats
    field research
    kerbal academy
    tourism plus
 crew r&r = realism
 dang it! = realism, and the other malfunctions mod caused a failure EVERY SINGLE LAUNCH!
 dmagic orbital science = realism/science/parts
 docking port alignment indicator = havent gotten that far except the tute, and that was a pain... so...
 eva parachutes and ejection = iirc even the gemini guys had chutes, so why not kerbals?
 eva fuel = realism
 final frontier = as many times as ive killed jeb... he deserves a few medals
 firespitter = i think this is the one giving me the biplane...
 flexible docking = because, yeah
 kas
 kerbal engineer redux = it helps me troubleshoot my rocket failures
 kis
 kerbal joint reinforcement = tired of seeing rockets go spaghetti when they should break
 kscale64 = bigger scale
 near future stuff = more parts
 scansat = parts/missions/science/realism
 seti
    contracts
    greenhouse
    probe parts
    rebalance
 station science = parts/science
 stock antenna balance = dont recall if it was req'd and im not sure i see a difference, but...
 stockalike parts = parts
 surface expiriment pack = science/parts
 tacls = realism... sortof
 take command = whats the point of the command chair, otherwise?
 test flight = because those dangit failures should serve a purpose
 seti ubm = realism... i think... 
 usi exploration = parts
 usi kolonization & suits = parts and they should get their own uniforms
 waypoint manager = "ok... pitch up... press m... set target... set target dammit... SET TARGET NOW!... press m real quick... splash"
 [/spoiler] 

i wanted remote tech too, but that doesnt seem to like one of my mods... i put probe in and get "antenna not found", add an antenna and "antenna not found", add all the antennae and "antenna..."... so i said screw it.

i left out the requirement mods, but does anyone have any other suggestions on mods to add or take out? my pc takes 10 min to load this, and 5 min to load stock, so im kinda limited ram-wise...

1 hour ago, DrLicor said:

If you want the real thing, I recommend to play RSS, RO and RP-0.

I thought about RSS, but I wasn't sure if my pc can handle it... as for RO, if its on CKAN its not showing in my list, and what is RP-0?

1 hour ago, DrLicor said:

This, however, will come with a set of around 50 mods of you want the full package

and that could overwhelm my computer, i think...

I'm really wondering if there's a setup that offers a learning curve AND realism simultaneously... Unmanned sortof... but thats still fairly unforgiving (firespitters biplane aside, that is... tough little piece of...lol) and I'm sure jeb is getting tired of me killing him... including TWICE where my rocket decided to make an immediate uncontrollable left turn and destroy my VAB...

RO is currently not available on CKAN for 1.2.2, it is for 1.1.3. And that's still the version I play. You can visit their github for downloading of just the forum.
As long as you have enough ram and not a potato CPU, you'll be fine. 
Realism overhaul definitely has a learning curve in it and a lot of realism. RP-0 is just a mod which adjust a realistic career mode, a bit historical too. 

Setting it up, can be quitte a thing. But @tylerraiz is doing a great job with making tutorials for KSP 1.2.2 and realism overhaul.
If you want to install it the right way, just follow his steps. :)

2 hours ago, DrLicor said:

As long as you have enough ram and not a potato CPU, you'll be fine.

does a phenom triple-core count? lol

ok... quick question... i got the wip 1.2.2 RO... since I DO use CKAN, should i install RO last to ensure that i dont get fail to install issues?

Edited by argentrolf

So to answer half your question this are the mods I always have installed:

-x-science

-mechjeb

-alarm clock

-module manager + personal config.

This is like my base for everything. I'm interrested in gathering all the science so x-science is the obvious choice here. Alarm clock ist to plan transfers and basically everything else unless you're cool with doing one thing at a time. And mechjeb, well I can her everyone shouting "cheater" "why even bother with ksp if you let a bot play it for you?!", but my goal was to use as less mods as possible so mj is the only way to go. It combines so many mods (percise node, transfer window planer, trajectories, KER, piot assistance, and much more). And I got to admit some of the autopilots are handy at some point.

Like mentioned above I'm the science guy so to have my "science full reward" I need module manager. And when I use mm I can also just assign the mj module to pods and probes to not lose everything if mj should not work for a future version of ksp.

Now the second 50%:

You can try construction time, launchfailure or dangit to enhance realism on a light basis.

KAS and KIS are also a verry interesting way of changing gameplay (I personally use KAS without KIS because like mentioned above I prefer to keep my modlist light)

Testflight is also a neat mod I experimented with and I got it in my RO install.

RO and RSS are things I have on a different install but its like playing ksp as a noob again, I don't know excrements about what I'm doing^^ but its entertaining!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.