!!HELP PLZ I have messed up my joystick config

can any one send me a guide to set up controls I come on tonight just to set a control for Up/Down when docking and I have messed up, what i once had, which was not much i only used High hat for  left/right when leaving for Space/ my A& B button for /rotation the same keys  when docking. WASD which control RCA astronaut.  cant believe iv messed up I have sats/around  Minmus and land easy on min, but now lost all. I hit the reset button as well, im tired gota go to sleep will check tomorrow. thanks in adv.

my set up is a Saitek X45   i am happy to use keyboard

10 hours ago, Alshain said:

You need to explain what you need in simple terms.  I'm sure you put it in there somewhere but it's surrounded by unnecessary information and I have no idea what it is.

Sorry mate I was tired basically I never really understood the map buttons/joystick screen even though i got by. I need a basic docking config.

up/down forward/back side-ways left/right and rotate  maybe the same system you use, some advice.

regards Brian

You are talking about 6 different axes of movement here, 3 each for rotation (roll, pitch, yaw) and translation (left/right, up/down, forward/backward).

How many axes does your joystick provide? And which of the axes of movement do you want to assign to the joystick?

If you want to have translation AND rotation on your joystick, you'd either have to use two joysticks, or toggle between control modes (fine control in KSP) and assign the axes accordingly in the input setup menu.

Your post is hard to read for me (sorry, I am no native English speaker) but it sounds like you changed something unintentionally. In that case you can always revert to default settings. Apologies if I misunderstood you.

Thank you for your comments You make more sense then me...lol and i am English. lol I only used the high hat =left to right (on lift-off) and 2 buttons for rotation (when docking) and the default keys w,s,a,d,  But I had nothing for UP/Down.  thats when i messed up trying to configure and up/down control.  my saitek X45 has two controllers, i have lots of buttons  It's just to complicated, maybe if you are successful at docking you could share your control.  many thanks for getting back to me.

regards Brian 

You are welcome. At the moment I am using 2 joysticks, one for rotation and one for translation. But before that I managed to get by with one stick, as many others do too.

Does your stick have a twist grip?

When you say left/right on lift-off do you mean yaw? (a rotational movement, make the nose point left or right)

The most common thing to do for KSP and one stick setups is to assign rotation to your stick. (stick left/right for roll, stick back/forward for pitch, and the twist for yaw) And then use the hat switch and/or buttons for translation (RCS up/down, left/right and back/forth translation) Works nicely for docking and flying planes or landers etc.

I am sure I could dig up a screenshot of the setup menu on one of my older single-stick installs if you'd think it would be any help for you. But the axes and buttons of your stick might have different numbers than mine and it could be more confusing than helpful in the end. Anyway, just let me know if you need any further help.

Good luck

Daf

PS: while you are at it, think about assigning some action groups to the unused buttons on your stick. It can make many things much easier.

9 hours ago, capt: scarlet said:

Thank you for your comments You make more sense then me...lol and i am English. lol I only used the high hat =left to right (on lift-off) and 2 buttons for rotation (when docking) and the default keys w,s,a,d,  But I had nothing for UP/Down.  thats when i messed up trying to configure and up/down control.  my saitek X45 has two controllers, i have lots of buttons  It's just to complicated, maybe if you are successful at docking you could share your control.  many thanks for getting back to me.

regards Brian 

Many years ago had a X45, my current HOTAS is a X52Pro but doesn't change much (though I can't just pass my KSP profile for that, won't work). Anyway, I have a solid configuration very easy to use with all kinds of maneuvers, docking included: what I can do is share what would work.

As you wrote, lots of buttons. Unity (and therefore KSP) can't recognize them all, only ones in the ID range 0..19. Unfortunately that makes for extra buttons to only be recognized if they are (via a profile created by Profiler) assigned to mimic a key Unity understands (like, all those on the keyboard). To  avoid trouble with double input, don't program in the profile buttons that were assigned via KSP settings (I like for consistency to assign all via a profile anyway).

Now, rotations on the three axes (those working with standard keys A-D, W-S, Q-E) can easily be assigned to the corresponding axes on the stick. Same about throttle. If desired (as I do having so many buttons available) as a handy alternative, some of those keys can go with the Hat switches (in 4-way mode) on the stick. Handy for short pulses, sometimes better then an axis deflection to provide exactly that amount of rotation one needs.

The translation controls in my profile are all programmed to buttons on the throttle. The Hat (in 4-way mode) holds the I-K and J-L up/down and left/right translations; two other buttons on the throttle are programmed for H and N allowing the forward/back translations (with a X45, you may use "fire D" and mouse button, or the three-state AUX switch, or normal "D" and shifted "D" (using the pinkie) as you like to have both H and N keypresses available).

Now, you may ask, do I ever use the docking mode? No, there is absolutely no need to change modes. All maneuvers come so easy and natural by having all the commands available at the same time, one never needs else than flight mode with my configuration.

i was not aware we are talking about a HOTAS here, thanks for clearing that up @diomedea  I should have taken a second to look that stick up. Your setup sounds reasonable. I am using a TM Warthog myself, plus an additional joystick for translation. That weird setup started out because I am left handed and tried all kinds of sticks a while ago. Now ended up with a bit of a simpit for KSP.

23 hours ago, diomedea said:

Many years ago had a X45, my current HOTAS is a X52Pro but doesn't change much (though I can't just pass my KSP profile for that, won't work). Anyway, I have a solid configuration very easy to use with all kinds of maneuvers, docking included: what I can do is share what would work.

As you wrote, lots of buttons. Unity (and therefore KSP) can't recognize them all, only ones in the ID range 0..19. Unfortunately that makes for extra buttons to only be recognized if they are (via a profile created by Profiler) assigned to mimic a key Unity understands (like, all those on the keyboard). To  avoid trouble with double input, don't program in the profile buttons that were assigned via KSP settings (I like for consistency to assign all via a profile anyway).

Now, rotations on the three axes (those working with standard keys A-D, W-S, Q-E) can easily be assigned to the corresponding axes on the stick. Same about throttle. If desired (as I do having so many buttons available) as a handy alternative, some of those keys can go with the Hat switches (in 4-way mode) on the stick. Handy for short pulses, sometimes better then an axis deflection to provide exactly that amount of rotation one needs.

The translation controls in my profile are all programmed to buttons on the throttle. The Hat (in 4-way mode) holds the I-K and J-L up/down and left/right translations; two other buttons on the throttle are programmed for H and N allowing the forward/back translations (with a X45, you may use "fire D" and mouse button, or the three-state AUX switch, or normal "D" and shifted "D" (using the pinkie) as you like to have both H and N keypresses available).

Now, you may ask, do I ever use the docking mode? No, there is absolutely no need to change modes. All maneuvers come so easy and natural by having all the commands available at the same time, one never needs else than flight mode with my configuration.

Big thanks to all, !done It!! I did not no  what the difference between translation / rotation, till you all explained how it works. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.