Request to development ideas

I have this vessel  and intend to improve it a bit, adding a bit of extra deltaV in orbit , a docking port, and some RCS. Higher tech may be used but I prefer to avoid  (specially I'm not going for the simpler solution: RAPIER). The main question is if there is any hope to extract more juice from the spark+whiplash combo or should I just change to stronger rockets? If the later, how do you think a single Thud will fare? I feel that 2 Thud may be a bit to much for that small craft, but using 2 terrier means 2 stack of 1.25m.

Thank in advance for any input.

I guess MOAR SPARK NACELLES is always an option.  Four of them at the back would not get too crazy (still lighter than a single Terrier).  Or you could add a couple to your wingtips or something, if you don't want them all at the back.  But at some point, yeah, you might be better of just going with two 1.25m stacks and Terriers rather than a whole ton of Sparks.  

One intriguing idea: go with a single Thud (say dorsally mounted at the rear), and keep two of your Spark nacelles on the opposite side (ventral at the rear).  If you mount the Sparks low enough, you could probably get your center of thrust relatively close back toward COM.  

1 hour ago, Aegolius13 said:

One intriguing idea: go with a single Thud (say dorsally mounted at the rear), and keep two of your Spark nacelles on the opposite side (ventral at the rear).  If you mount the Sparks low enough, you could probably get your center of thrust relatively close back toward COM

Thank You! Tried your amazing idea with a Terrier+2spark. Now it have a docking port and get into 75kmx75km orbit with 400+170m/s(rocket+RCS). That is just the performance wanted. Still didn't tried reentry/landing, but looks like Wolphin is ready.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.