Just want to say one thing...

ZooNamedGames

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

...no... :/

I knew that... just needed you to say it. 

You don't know the "feeling" you're talking about, unless the feeling is really more about what you think is cool.  Top Gun, Hollywood, stuff...  the reality is quite different.  RC planes and flying in video games is a lot more fun than commercial/general aviation.

I would be curious to know what idiot airline offered an RC pilot a job as an airline pilot, that's just absurd.  More likely, someone approached him about a flight school... maybe.  Either way, I would NOT equate RC pilot skills to flying a real plane.

1 minute ago, munlander1 said:

Is it like a cockpit you can get into?

It's a new college... it was a computer screen with panels below it to simulate the real buttons and switches. :/ I mean it works for a teaching aid as it's 1:1 with the real thing but a cockpit? No. Besides I only flew I believe it was a Cessna 172 in the simulation.

1 minute ago, XLjedi said:

I knew that... just needed you to say it. 

You don't know the "feeling" you're talking about, unless the feeling is really more about what you think is cool.  Top Gun, Hollywood, stuff...  the reality is quite different.  RC planes and flying in video games is a lot more fun than commercial/general aviation.

I would be curious to know what idiot airline offered an RC pilot a job as an airline pilot, that's just absurd.  More likely, someone approached him about a flight school... maybe.  Either way, I would NOT equate RC pilot skills to flying a real plane.

That may be true but ultimately the greatest feeling of joy is when I'm closest to the realism. I've recently gotten back into FSX and ahh man... just the joys and the crappy views... just fills me with joy! Not to mention when I was in the simulator... god that was awesome. Loved every moment of it! As well as my trip to visit Embry Riddle. When we were heading to the building for the simulators, a Learjet passed over at a mere <100ft (just taken off) and that was awe inspiring! Not to mention the noise (KSP under plays the noise of a jet engine).

To elaborate on my father's friend; the USAF approached him since he was one of the best RC pilots in the league. His job prior to that was something like managing an orange grove or something to that effect but I am uncertain.

26 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

To elaborate on my father's friend; the USAF approached him since he was one of the best RC pilots in the league. His job prior to that was something like managing an orange grove or something to that effect but I am uncertain.

Mmmm hmmm...  an Air Force recruiter approached him...  Well that at least makes sense now.  Recruiters will do/say about anything to get you to sign-up. 

I have the MS simulator and the C-172 in that game is actually very good, and flies much like the real one, except for one thing... it's harder!  I commend anyone who can get their "Private Pilot" achievement in that game, I gave up on it.  I imagine the other planes are modelled to similar accuracy, so probably a very good proxy for you.

Before you let yourself get too in love with the notion... fly a real plane, get your private pilot license and then re-evaluate. 

Edited by XLjedi

Mmmm hmmm...  an Air Force recruiter approached him...  Well that at least makes sense now.  Recruiters will do/say about anything to get you to sign-up. 

I have the MS simulator and the C-172 in that game is actually very good, and flies much like the real one, accept for one thing... it's harder!  I commend anyone who can get their "Private Pilot" achievement in that game, I gave up on it.  I imagine the other planes are modelled to similar accuracy, so probably a very good proxy for you.

Well the job they offered him was to fly the drones... which in the 90s was a much bigger accomplishment than now.

Anyways;

I only occasionally play it since there's not enough to do. The missions are weird and janky to me and... ultimately it's a game best played with a group and I just haven't found a group yet. FSX is unrealistic because you can fly aircraft without ATC, a co-pilot or anything a lot of the time.

11 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well the job they offered him was to fly the drones... which in the 90s was a much bigger accomplishment than now.

Anyways;

I only occasionally play it since there's not enough to do. The missions are weird and janky to me and... ultimately it's a game best played with a group and I just haven't found a group yet. FSX is unrealistic because you can fly aircraft without ATC, a co-pilot or anything a lot of the time.

Alright... so dad's RC pilot friend was offered an airline pilot job, no wait... it was the air force...  well...  and now we get to the part that makes sense...  they wanted him as a drone pilot.  Yes, as I said, they are looking for drone pilots and I would think now is a much cooler time to fly drones than back in the 90's.  So maybe think about it.

Most of the time I flew, it was without ATC, and I had no co-pilot.  ...it felt realistic at the time.

Edited by XLjedi

3 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Alright... so dad's RC pilot friend was offered an airline pilot job, no wait... it was the air force approached him...  no...  and now we get to the part that makes sense...  they wanted him as a drone pilot.  Yes, as I said, they are looking for drone pilots and I would think now is a much cooler time to fly drones than back in the 90's.  So maybe think about it.

Most of the time I flew, it was without ATC, and I had no co-pilot.  ...it felt realistic at the time.

I don't know how I managed to mention him and working for the airlines as I don't think he even has a pilot's license.

It may be realistic to go without ATC and a co-pilot in a Cessna 172, but when your flying a Concorde or a Boeing 747, the realism falls rapidly. Moreover with a buddy you can pass off onto each other and actually run tasks like you would on a real aircraft.

Well the trainer you'll start out in is more likely going to be a 152 or 172... the 747, ya know... they might save that one for your 4th or 5th lesson.  You don't know what real is yet for the 172, much less the 747 Boeing that flies and lands itself. 

Keep the passion, explore the options, learn a bit, be patient...  so what's going to be your first step?

Well the trainer you'll start out in is more likely going to be a 152 or 172... the 747, ya know... they might save that one for your 4th or 5th lesson.  You don't know what real is yet for the 172, much less the 747 Boeing that flies and lands itself. 

Keep the passion, explore the options, learn a bit, be patient...  so what's going to be your first step?

However (what I meant to say) in FSX you can fly the 747 anytime.

Realistically once I get into flight school, I'll likely start with a 172 from what I've heard.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

However (what I meant to say) in FSX you can fly the 747 anytime.

Realistically once I get into flight school, I'll likely start with a 172 from what I've heard.

Too far ahead...  what's your first step toward getting into flight school?

From what you've said, your first step toward flying the concorde is going to be getting your drivers license, correct?

Edited by XLjedi

Too far ahead...  what's your first step toward getting into flight school?

From what you've said, your first step toward flying the concorde is going to be getting your drivers license, correct?

It's not that far ahead in FSX. :/ Games barely realistic enough. Only a third of the buttons in the cockpit are actually functional. The rest are just textures.

First step towards flight school? Graduating. My major (that is, if I can get my 1st class medical) will be "Aviation Management" and with it I can get to (I can't remember the technical term) but basically be able to fly airliner aircraft after 1,000 hours of flight time rather than 1,500 hours.

In the meantime, a drivers license is looking to be a must considering I can't fly to school as I don't have a runway nor a hanger in my backyard.

I meant you're first step was too far ahead...  keep looking ahead to flying the space shuttle, but in the mean time, your focus is get my drivers license.  Then when you do get it, and you will, celebrate that as a step completed toward your goal and feel good about it!  ...and look for the next box you need to check off.  Hint: it's not going to be finish flight school.  Think about it... 

Have a good night!

Edited by XLjedi

I meant you're first step was too far ahead...  keep looking ahead to flying the space shuttle, but in the mean time, your focus is get my drivers license.  Then when you do get it, and you will, celebrate that as a step completed toward your goal and feel good about it!  ...and look for the next box you need to check off.  Hint: it's not going to be finish flight school.  Think about it... 

Have a good night!

Interesting thoughts and good night.

In Stephen Baxter's Voyage, [EXTENSIVE SPOILERS] the director of NASA announces the crews for the flights leading up to the book's alternate universe manned Mars mission in a few years, and based on previous crew rotation practices all the astronauts can extrapolate who's going to go on the big flight.

Two of the main characters (astronauts both) are not initially on that list, but nonetheless they stay pro-active. One of them makes frequent visits to the contractor building the lander, checking out the systems, providing feedback, flying simulations and test craft, generally becoming the leading expert on how to fly the thing, practically co-designing it with them. The other main character is already a published expert on Martian geology, but she continues working on it and teaching it to the slated Mars crew in addition to regular duties expected of all the astronauts. She also keeps her head during some high tension situations and develops a reputation as highly competent but also opinionated. Neither of them sits and pouts that they deserve to be selected already.

When one of the planned crew is grounded by medical concerns, our pilot friend is the obvious choice for a replacement. And when another fails to learn even basic geology despite occupying the science slot for the mission, the director can't not pick our geologist lady friend.

I think that's a good way to think about life in general. When the opportunities you want open up, they're going to look for someone who's not just got certificates but who has looked for and created opportunities to get experience in the field. I agree with @XLjedi, put one foot in front of the other and build up your qualifications when and where you can. Play flight sims and make a point of learning all the terminology so you sound fluent if and when you talk to industry people. Maybe go to a local small airport and talk to some of the people there, security permitting, just to be involved in what you want to do. I'm sure you can come up with better ideas than I have here. It's a cliché, but at 19 you really do have your whole adult life ahead of you (anyone who says that is jealous! :)), and the smallest thing could show your interest and determination when it counts.

12 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

In Stephen Baxter's Voyage, [EXTENSIVE SPOILERS] the director of NASA announces the crews for the flights leading up to the book's alternate universe manned Mars mission in a few years, and based on previous crew rotation practices all the astronauts can extrapolate who's going to go on the big flight.

Two of the main characters (astronauts both) are not initially on that list, but nonetheless they stay pro-active. One of them makes frequent visits to the contractor building the lander, checking out the systems, providing feedback, flying simulations and test craft, generally becoming the leading expert on how to fly the thing, practically co-designing it with them. The other main character is already a published expert on Martian geology, but she continues working on it and teaching it to the slated Mars crew in addition to regular duties expected of all the astronauts. She also keeps her head during some high tension situations and develops a reputation as highly competent but also opinionated. Neither of them sits and pouts that they deserve to be selected already.

When one of the planned crew is grounded by medical concerns, our pilot friend is the obvious choice for a replacement. And when another fails to learn even basic geology despite occupying the science slot for the mission, the director can't not pick our geologist lady friend.

I think that's a good way to think about life in general. When the opportunities you want open up, they're going to look for someone who's not just got certificates but who has looked for and created opportunities to get experience in the field. I agree with @XLjedi, put one foot in front of the other and build up your qualifications when and where you can. Play flight sims and make a point of learning all the terminology so you sound fluent if and when you talk to industry people. Maybe go to a local small airport and talk to some of the people there, security permitting, just to be involved in what you want to do. I'm sure you can come up with better ideas than I have here. It's a cliché, but at 19 you really do have your whole adult life ahead of you (anyone who says that is jealous! :)), and the smallest thing could show your interest and determination when it counts.

Well I'm already deeply immersed as I can be minus being in an airport. Which I plan to be by October.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.