material Bay/???? cant find one/ Service bay= Yup

Hi guys having a night mere  to day !Things not going to plan. Had a rest for a year and started again, trying to remember all that Scott Manley taught me.lol

no rush to conquer the universe, a base on MUN/ Minmus/ ISS orbiting both will do for now, its what i achieved last year, so with your help guys....

infinity and beyond....

regards Brian

6 hours ago, Pand5461 said:

There was some other part which had inconsistent names in contracts and in editor, but I can't remember now.

I think Science Lab and Mobile Processing Lab are used interchangeably... that one's fairly intuitive, but one could be forgiven for thinking the Science Jr. was a type of Science Lab.

I also sometimes forget part the contracts want when they ask for an "accelerometer;" it's the seismic instrument.  I guess it's in the full name, but it seems weird to me when satellite contracts ask for a part that can't be used in space.

7 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

I think Science Lab and Mobile Processing Lab are used interchangeably... that one's fairly intuitive, but one could be forgiven for thinking the Science Jr. was a type of Science Lab.

I also sometimes forget part the contracts want when they ask for an "accelerometer;" it's the seismic instrument.  I guess it's in the full name, but it seems weird to me when satellite contracts ask for a part that can't be used in space.

At least Science Lab and MPL both have "lab" in them, and Seismic Accelerometer is an official name. I think I was referring to the Convert-O-Trons that are conveniently named ISRU units in contracts (and have the word "ISRU" nowhere in name or description).

Anyway, @capt: scarlet, the "materials bay" is this part, the SC-9001 Science Jr., as some folks have pointed out here:

352px-ScienceJR-02.png

There are, alas, several KSP parts that have completely cryptic "chatty" descriptions in contract language, where they're referred to by names that have nothing to do with the actual part names.  For example, calling the SC-9001 Science Jr. a "materials bay" in contract descriptions, despite the fact that neither "materials" nor "bay" appears anywhere in the part name, part description, or anywhere else except the contract itself.  There is no way in-game for a player to be able to know this, unless they simply guess the answer or someone tells them.

It's a pain point that has been remarked on before:wink:

On 5/22/2017 at 8:35 AM, Snark said:

Indeed.  I've been trying to keep a paper chart of where I haven't collected all the science, and the inconsistencies in the biome names and observation conditions is pretty frustrating. The "Science Archives" is useful, but you've got to do a lot of clicking around to figure out how the words are used.

On 5/23/2017 at 4:22 PM, FloppyRocket said:

I've been trying to keep a paper chart of where I haven't collected all the science, and the inconsistencies in the biome names and observation conditions is pretty frustrating.

FWIW, if you haven't already looked at it, I believe this mod does basically what you're doing there... perhaps could save you the paper chart?

Yes, I know, we're kinda discussing "here's a shortcoming in the stock game", and therefore "there's a mod for that" doesn't really address the issue... just thought I'd mention it in case it might be useful.

Disclaimer:  I've never used the mod myself, so I'm just going by hearsay, here.  However, any time the topic of "how do I keep track of the science I've gotten" comes up, seems to me that this mod is the one that I always see people recommend.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Yes, I know, we're kinda discussing "here's a shortcoming in the stock game", and therefore "there's a mod for that" doesn't really address the issue...

Unfortunately,  so often is how these kind of conversation goes.  

BTW as user of [x] Science,  I endorse your recommendation. While I use more to avoid the need for part sniping. 

6 hours ago, Spricigo said:

BTW as user of [x] Science,  I endorse your recommendation. While I use more to avoid the need for part sniping. 

Okay, I gotta ask. :) "Part sniping"?

38 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Okay, now I gotta ask. Why not just assign those science experiments to action groups? 

Because I don't need to use action groups to run experiments.:D

Also the buttons gives a visual cue, appearing only for available experiment with now-zero science points. And, finally, the report has its uses also.

On 2017-5-22 at 4:35 PM, Snark said:

Anyway, @capt: scarlet, the "materials bay" is this part, the SC-9001 Science Jr., as some folks have pointed out here:

352px-ScienceJR-02.png

There are, alas, several KSP parts that have completely cryptic "chatty" descriptions in contract language, where they're referred to by names that have nothing to do with the actual part names.  For example, calling the SC-9001 Science Jr. a "materials bay" in contract descriptions, despite the fact that neither "materials" nor "bay" appears anywhere in the part name, part description, or anywhere else except the contract itself.  There is no way in-game for a player to be able to know this, unless they simply guess the answer or someone tells them.

many thanks..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.