themaster401

[KSP 1.3.0] Astronomer's Visual Pack: Updated and Repackaged [v3.43 "Universality"]

246 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

0ZvJz8C.png

maxresdefault.jpg

Repackaging one of the greatest mods to ever exist in this game

Astronomer's Visual Pack, until now, was only barely compatible with the latest versions of Kerbal Space Program, due to the use of the decrepit EVE 7-4. This was until a user by the name of "RangeMachine" ported the old version of EVE to Kerbal Space Program 1.1, and subsequently 1.2. This allowed the barely-working E.V.E. 7-4 mods to finally breathe once again in a new generation of Kerbal Space Program. I have taken the time to update and repackage both AVP: Edge of Oblivion and Interstellar v2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2 and beyond, with none of Astronomer's original work modified.

Downloads

(I know everyone will stop reading past this haha)

Image result for github

Image result for spacedock logo

Compatiblity configs for planet packs

Two reasons why this new download exists: one, because I was dumb and named the previous mod page what it is right now and cannot change it, and two, this iteration of the repackaging marks a step forward in the mod, rather than staying behind on E.V.E. 7-4 ports we move on to the latest E.V.E. Oh, and since all the cool kids are doing it, I've decided to include instructions for installing KSPRC's textures with AVP.

Installation

The download is in a drag-and-drop structure, with the texture resolutions being modular on GitHub. There are three downloads for the textures, 2k, 4k, and 8k.

Features

- All features present in the original AVP. (I have barely added any of my own touches, mostly irrelevant config tweaks.)

• 8k Kerbin clouds
  • Bioluminescent clouds for Laythe
  • 7 8k cloud layers for Jool
  • Glow for all non-atmospheric bodies where relevant
  • 8k auroras
  • Sandstorms and surface dust
  • Snow on Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe
  • Lightning on Eve, Kerbin, Duna, and Laythe
  • 4k custom skybox by Astronomer
  • Optional compatiblity with KSPRC textures
  • High-res volumetric clouds
  • Compatiblity with most other cloud packs.

Prepackaged mods:

Featuring the mods (must install dependencies):

• Environmental Visual Enhancements Thank you rbray for the legendary visual enhancements mod, and thank you Waz for maintaining it.

• ModuleManager Thank you sarbian for making KSP modding possible at this scale.

• TextureReplacer Thank you shaw for allowing the community to replace the game's textures, and thank you RangeMachine for maintaining it.

• Scatterer Thank you blackrack for the atmospheric scattering, which alone enhances KSP's visuals greatly.

• Kopernicus Thank you Thomas P. for allowing us to modify KSP's planets and create entirely new worlds.

Optional enhancements:

• KSPRC (textures only) Thank you Proot for a legendary complete overhaul of the game's visuals, of which the trademark terrain and land feature textures are used in this mod.

• Distant Object Enhancement Thank you MOARdV for making planets actually visible in the dark void.

• Planetshine Thank you Valerian for the immersive Planetshine effect in Kerbal Space Program.

• Chatterer Thank you Athlonic for the enhanced audio experience, with chatters , ambient noise, and, well, noise in general.

Previously featuring:

• Kerbal Visual Enhancements Thank you RangeMachine for bringing back E.V.E. 7-4.

• OPMclouds Thank you Eleusis La Arwall for the original cloud configurations for the Outer Planets Mod.

Support

I'm commonly active on the Kerbal Space Program Subreddit Discord, go ahead and ping me there if you need help. You can also just reply below with your KSP.log and perhaps a screenshot.

FAQ:

Q: Help! Weird floating terrain chunks!
A: Please check around the forums and internet before asking a question, as this one has been answered hundreds of times. Turn off scatterer's ocean shaders.

Q: Lag.
A: Use a lower AVP-Textures. Lower your KSP settings. Turn off "EVE-Scatterer integration" in scatterer settings (note that this setting makes all planets look much more natural, looks may be off with this feature disabled).

Q: How do I fix the look of clouds hovering above the horizon, detached from the atmosphere?
A: I did the best I could to naturalize the look, but there's no more I can do. The clouds will hover above the horizon, it's something in the code of EVE. It's only a couple pixels width, anyways. 

License: LGPL

(This license is most similar to Astronomer's statement in the license.txt in the original Astronomer's Visual Pack)

Donations:

Of course, there are no donations going to me! If you would like to donate, please give to the original developer of AVP, Astronomer himself!

Screenshots:

Note: Due to the incredible similarities between this mod and Matchlight's "Andromeda Visuals: Daydream", I'd like to state that I was the first to update and repack Astronomer's Visual Pack for 1.2.2, and did not copy Matchlight's mod in any way. In fact, I had adapted AVP configs for the new EVE all on my own. The old download is almost identical to Matchlight's mod. 

Edited by themaster401
read the faq and don't you dare ask the same questions down in the comments
13 people like this

Pics look amazing! Nice work..

I currently play with Stock Visual Enhancements (which I believe is EVE and Scatterer bundled together), plus a different skybox implemented through Texture Replacer. I'm guessing these are similar things to what your mod does, and it's a sort of "one or the other" type deal?

1 minute ago, Goody1981 said:

Pics look amazing! Nice work..

I currently play with Stock Visual Enhancements (which I believe is EVE and Scatterer bundled together), plus a different skybox implemented through Texture Replacer. I'm guessing these are similar things to what your mod does, and it's a sort of "one or the other" type deal?

Pretty much sums it up. I'd say the two mods have quite different feels and would satisfy two different types of people, in fact. (Notice that a lot of the atmospheres are quite bright and happy here.)

1 person likes this

I had a small issue with Gilly. It doesn't show up the terrain until very close. As far as I remember  this was a old EVE issue. Can you confirm it?

Just now, Nansuchao said:

I had a small issue with Gilly. It doesn't show up the terrain until very close. As far as I remember  this was a old EVE issue. Can you confirm it?

I'm not quite sure of what you mean. Gilly seems to be working fine for me, perhaps send a screenshot?

12 hours ago, themaster401 said:

I'm not quite sure of what you mean. Gilly seems to be working fine for me, perhaps send a screenshot?

Much better, I have a short video:

7 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Much better, I have a short video:

Wow, that is odd... never encountered something like that in-game. (Went through all bodies with the mod in the trailer).

Could you send your KSP.log?

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, themaster401 said:

Wow, that is odd... never encountered something like that in-game. (Went through all bodies with the mod in the trailer).

Could you send your KSP.log?

Sure, give me some minutes.

EDIT: Here you have. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu6kw25m8s61943/KSP.log?dl=0

However I remember I saw something simlar in the past, around KSP 0.25/0.90 with the old EVE.

Edited by Nansuchao

50 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Sure, give me some minutes.

EDIT: Here you have. https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu6kw25m8s61943/KSP.log?dl=0

However I remember I saw something simlar in the past, around KSP 0.25/0.90 with the old EVE.

There seem to be quite a few factors. One, Konstruction seems to error upon launch, might want to check out if it's working properly.. Two, you have a lot of MiniAVCs present in your installation. Try going into your GameData, search "MiniAVC.dll" and delete all results (the normal full-featured AVC is better than MiniAVC). Three, you have SVT installed beside AVP. I know I said compatibility should be fine, but just to double check, try playing without SVT. Four, you seem to be using the "old download" of AVP Repackaged (which uses a port of the old EVE), which I do still support but is a bit obsolete now that there's the new download that runs on the newer version of EVE. Try the new download.

1 person likes this

Thanks a lot, I'll try the new version as soon as possible. 

Posted (edited)

Just installed your pack (new version) and it looks great but my atmosphere seems to be bugging out. I did have SVE installed previously, but deleted that folder and overwrote everything from your zip. I do have quite a few mods installed and planet packs (OPM, Gameslinx and Planet Cerillion) and an EVE error in the log but have no idea how to fix that or this problem. Thanks for any help.

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bbunq57luvea0x/AVP Atmo Glitch.zip?dl=0

rt6ytoF.jpg

Edited by DragonRoco
Additional Information

I've switched back from SVE/SVT. Once I installed AVP everything worked great. I have also installed Arkas, Cyran, Cerillion and Kargantua. Once I installed them, my clouds all disappeared. Any ideas?

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

I've switched back from SVE/SVT. Once I installed AVP everything worked great. I have also installed Arkas, Cyran, Cerillion and Kargantua. Once I installed them, my clouds all disappeared. Any ideas?

Kargantua has a very dumb thing with it, where it has premade visual enhancements for the stock system, presumably because the dev needed to use some of the assets for his planets. You'll have to install Kargantua in a way that AVP doesn't get overwritten.

11 hours ago, DragonRoco said:

Just installed your pack (new version) and it looks great but my atmosphere seems to be bugging out. I did have SVE installed previously, but deleted that folder and overwrote everything from your zip. I do have quite a few mods installed and planet packs (OPM, Gameslinx and Planet Cerillion) and an EVE error in the log but have no idea how to fix that or this problem. Thanks for any help.

Logs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bbunq57luvea0x/AVP Atmo Glitch.zip?dl=0

rt6ytoF.jpg

Gameslinx may cause compatibility issues, as it has its own set of visual enhancements. Try removing it from your installation, and I'll get back to you on how you can use AVP with it, if you can. It also seems that you're using an older version of ModuleManager.

Edited by themaster401

Download links have been removed from the OP due to licensing issues.

To be able to redistribute, either you need to show that the original mod had a license that allows you to do that, or else that you have permission in writing from the original author.

Our understanding is that the original mods from Astronomer were ARR (all rights reserved), i.e. the most restrictive license, which basically doesn't allow doing anything at all (including re-hosting on another site).  This prevents being able to publish this mod, unless you have written permission from Astronomer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Snark said:

Download links have been removed from the OP due to licensing issues.

To be able to redistribute, either you need to show that the original mod had a license that allows you to do that, or else that you have permission in writing from the original author.

Our understanding is that the original mods from Astronomer were ARR (all rights reserved), i.e. the most restrictive license, which basically doesn't allow doing anything at all (including re-hosting on another site).  This prevents being able to publish this mod, unless you have written permission from Astronomer.

Thank you for your understanding.

The oroginal Astronomer's Visual Pack states in the license.txt that comes with it:

"The licensor permits other to create and distribute derivative works, but only under the same or a compatible license. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work for non-commercial purposes only."

A couple others have also created their own derivatives of AVP, and those derivatives have been up for quite some time with no issues.

Edited by themaster401
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, themaster401 said:

The oroginal Astronomer's Visual Pack states in the license.txt that comes with it:

"The licensor permits other to create and distribute derivative works, but only under the same or a compatible license. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work for non-commercial purposes only."

A couple others have also created their own derivatives of AVP, and those derivatives have been up for quite some time with no issues.

Forgive us for erring on the side of caution here, we take modder's rights very seriously. From looking at the Curse page for Beyond Kerbal it lists it as "License: All Rights Reserved" but the download does contain a license.txt that contains the license you mention. In such cases, the packaged license trumps the host-listed license, so you're free to restore your links. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
2 people like this

10 hours ago, themaster401 said:

Gameslinx may cause compatibility issues, as it has its own set of visual enhancements. Try removing it from your installation, and I'll get back to you on how you can use AVP with it, if you can. It also seems that you're using an older version of ModuleManager.

I have my very own dumb thing where i also provide my own visuals (I have to because of the new atmospheric planets)

@DragonRoco go into your Scatterer folder, remove Kerbin from planetslist.cfg and delete the kerbin folder.

If you have an EVE mod which isn't provided by my own configs, delete the entries for Kerbin as well.

1 person likes this

New updates are coming out.

v3.11 changes

- Added KSPRC instructions because I'm dumb and forgot to in 3.1.

v3.11E changes

- The less intensive branch of AVP is back, running on KerbalVisualEnhancements (which is surprisingly more stable than the latest E.V.E.)

- Added KSPRC instructions to this release too.

- Modularity is included in this branch.

- Edge of Oblivion and Interstellar are merged now.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hi themaster401

Thanks for the update!

Great to see the pack alive again its really the best!

However, i try to combine it with KSPRC and i get this:

wnsS1it.png

0rz9q33.png

I followed the instructions and deleted the folders inside of KSPRC....

I do not use OPM, also Kopernicus Expansion is not installed. AFAIK KSPRC needs it but it is outdated...

With the KerbalVisualEnhancements must i delete EVE ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by ManuxKerb

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ManuxKerb said:

Hi themaster401

Thanks for the update!

Great to see the pack alive again its really the best!

However, i try to combine it with KSPRC and i get this:

wnsS1it.png

0rz9q33.png

I followed the instructions and deleted the folders inside of KSPRC....

I do not use OPM, also Kopernicus Expansion is not installed. AFAIK KSPRC needs it but it is outdated...

With the KerbalVisualEnhancements must i delete EVE ?

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot!

That's not a compatibility issue with any mod. That is an issue with OpenGL systems (Mac and Linux), and how KSPRC is structured. OpenGL systems do not like textures being in a "PluginData" folder. To fix this, you have to move the textures out of the "PluginData" folder and in to a new location. I would just create a new folder an call it "textures" to keep it simple. Then you must change all of the directories in the cfgs to match the new location of the textures. 

Also KSPRC doesn't need  Kopernicus expansions, it was just a cool mod that added more visual stuff. Doesn't hurt to not have it.

Edited by Galileo

Posted (edited)

On 5/25/2017 at 0:17 PM, Galileo said:

That's not a compatibility issue with any mod. That is an issue with OpenGL systems (Mac and Linux), and how KSPRC is structured. OpenGL systems do not like textures being in a "PluginData" folder. To fix this, you have to move the textures out of the "PluginData" folder and in to a new location. I would just create a new folder an call it "textures" to keep it simple. Then you must change all of the directories in the cfgs to match the new location of the textures. 

Also KSPRC doesn't need  Kopernicus expansions, it was just a cool mod that added more visual stuff. Doesn't hurt to not have it.

Hi Galileo,

Thanks for posting this.

I did rename the PluginData folder in KSPRC folder to Tex and changed the paths in the KSPRC.cfg in the KSPRC and the TextureReplacer Folder. In other config files it was not present.

However, it did not work.

Any other ideas/ Places i did forget  ? Can Linux load the dds files ?

Thanks!

Edited by ManuxKerb

1.2.2 EVE reportedly still works in 1.3, so the intensive version of the new download will continue to function. Enjoy!

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, ManuxKerb said:

Hi Galileo,

Thanks for posting this.

I did rename the PluginData folder in KSPRC folder to Tex and changed the paths in the KSPRC.cfg in the KSPRC and the TextureReplacer Folder. In other config files it was not present.

However, it did not work.

Any other ideas/ Places i did forget  ? Can Linux load the dds files ?

Thanks!

No linux is also an OpenGL system and does not like textures in PluginData folders. I assume you did something wrong when you attempted to move the textures around. I have studied and tested this extensively and I guarantee that just moving the textures out of the PluginData folder works for Mac and Linux.

Also, @themaster401, to get rid of the white planets when using scatterer and kopernicus, add this cfg to your mod:

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
    useOnDemand = false
    onDemandLoadOnMissing = true
    onDemandLogOnMissing = false
    onDemandForceCollect = false    
}
@Kopernicus:NEEDS[!scatterer]:FINAL
{
    %useOnDemand = true
}

Edited by Galileo

Posted (edited)

New updates coming out.

Mandatory Compatibility Update (not really just making SpaceDock say it's compatible with 1.3)

- Added white planet fix configuration (Thanks Galileo!)

- Updated ModuleManager

3.12E

Mandatory Compatibility Update (not really just making SpaceDock say it's compatible with 1.3)

- Added white planet fix configuration (Thanks Galileo!)

- Updated ModuleManager

Edited by themaster401
2 people like this

Hello, I am getting a crash to desktop when I try to go on EVA. The crash logs can be found here.