Need help operating/interpreting a orbital survey scanner?

Good day to you all.  I am in the process of deploying orbital survey scanners into polar orbits over all 3 of the Kerbin celestial bodies.  I have one each heading towards the Mun and Minmus, but the one for Kerbin is completely setup at 750 KM and have conducted my scan and received 10 science points.  My questions are 1:  What are the significances of the different color maps? (i.e monochrome, inverse, heat green, heat blue) 2:  How do I interpret where the resources are?  3:  What I am I doing wrong?  4:  Can more the one scan be done?

3. You're not doing anything wrong.
1. You get to pick the one you think is prettiest.
2. I don't remember about inverse, but on the other ones the brighter colors are over the biomes that have the most resources. You either have to know which biomes are where on each CB, or use KerbNet, in order to mentally map what you see on the resource map to the correct biomes.
4. Not in stock.

Ok.  Then I have a few follow up questions @bewing.  1.  What is the significance of the different percentage cutoffs for the different color maps?  2.  The ore reading is 4.46%, does that mean that's the entire percentage of ore on the planet?  3.  What about other resources, or is ore the only thing that there is? 

1. If a biome has less than the cutoff amount, it will display as "black" -- so you know not to look there. You can tweak the cutoff amounts to try to narrow the number of biomes down a bit, if there are a lot of them with ore.

2. Yes, the average ore amount is planetwide.

3. In stock, ore is all there is. Many mods add other stuff.

Doesn't matter. The scanner will tell you if the Ap is too high, or the Pe is too low, or if the inclination is not high enough. But if you have the params right, you can do the scan at any time.

5 hours ago, Ncog Nito said:

is there a certain place along the polar orbit that the scan should be done

No.

You can use the edit-button on your last post if no one has answered :wink:

5 hours ago, Ncog Nito said:

The ore reading is 4.46%,

If you land on a spot with 80% ore density you ll get 3.57% there

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.