Contract dispute?

Hello to you all an this Monday morning.  I hope everyone had a pleasant weekend.  I have an unusual question, perhaps bug, I need answered or pointed in the right direction for.  I have a contract to put a satellite in a designated orbit around Minmus.  The satellite I dispatched for this contract is called Minmus Satellite IV.  While in route to Minmus to complete the contract another contract became available to alter the orbit of Minmus Satellite IV that was orbiting Kerbin to a different, and outlandish, orbit of Kerbin.  Is this a glitch?  It's asking me to change a orbit on a satellite that isn't even in a completed position yet.  If it's not a glitch, what's the reason for this?  I have had other contracts to alter orbits on satellites, but they have been satellites that have been in set positions for some time.  I am slightly confused about this and could use a pointer or two.  Do I accept the new contract?  Do I decline it?

When you accept a contract (to put the first one into orbit), the contract is never attached to the probe. You see the probe/satellite as your one vehicle to complete this contract, but the game doesn't know that...it thinks that it is just some random attempt at a better comm network(even if it's on board parts completely satisfy the contract)

So the second contract just came about in the same way it usually comes about: there was a craft with some fuel on board in orbit, and this contract wants an adjustment. If you complete the adjustment first, you will get the money for the adjustment contract. The "place satellite" contract will remain, waiting to be finished. You can finish it with the same satellite(if you packed enough fuel), or you could send a new satellite that fulfills the contract.

An like @PT said, just ignore it if you don't want to do it, you won't get punished for not Accepting the "adjust orbit" contract

You should be able to complete your original satellite launch contract, reap the rewards for it, and then if the new (apparently conflicting) contract has not expired yet, accept it and then proceed to reposition the same satellite into the new orbit that it demands.

Stock satellite contracts are silly like that, because the contract generation code will just look for some random satellite out there and ask for it to be repositioned.

If this really bothers you, Clever Sats is a mod that attempts to make satellite contracts less silly.

On 22.5.2017 at 1:04 PM, cake>pie said:

You should be able to complete your original satellite launch contract, reap the rewards for it, and then if the new (apparently conflicting) contract has not expired yet, accept it and then proceed to reposition the same satellite into the new orbit that it demands.

It could be more dV efficient to do the contracts the other way around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.