Kennedy Space Center Recommendations

almagnus1

4 hours ago, almagnus1 said:

I'm going to be visiting the real KSC [not the Kerbal one] later this summer so....

Does anyone have any recommendations on stuff to do (or avoid) at KSC and the surrounding area?

Definitely see Atlantis. There's also a cool looking cafe there that seems worth checking out.

I was there this winter, you definitively want the guided bus tour out to the Apollo center, this also show you the vab, new space x and the shuttle / sls pad and some other cool stuff like the crawlers. Can be smart to start with this as you have to line up for an bus.
You can also take an extended guided tour for more pads and probably more stuff, I did not take this. 

Else all is in the visitor center. One tips in that you can skip the videos, I did on the Apollo and Atlantis buildings is I though I had less time than I end up having because of delays. 

Thanks for the tips! =D

If anyone else has any other advice, please let me know =)

2 hours ago, Brent Kerman said:

Time it so you are there for a launch. And make sure you give yourself several days leeway in case of scrubs.

I wish we could time it for this, but we're going for a birthday, so it's more hoping that the launch schedule lines up with the visit as people are flying in.

Edited by almagnus1

I took a tour that took me to a bunch of launch sites, past the VAB and launch control, past all the administration buildings, to a lookout area to watch launches, and to the Saturn V building. I also saw the Atlantis. Really fun! The tour buses are air-conditioned too, that was one of my favorite parts.

1 hour ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

I took a tour that took me to a bunch of launch sites, past the VAB and launch control, past all the administration buildings, to a lookout area to watch launches, and to the Saturn V building. I also saw the Atlantis. Really fun! The tour buses are air-conditioned too, that was one of my favorite parts.

Most modern buses have air-condition, many sightseer buses does not but they have an open upper deck so unless it stand still for long you get an breeze. 
Marrakesh during the summer is pretty hot :)
Friend why drove with me from Agadir was so overheated he stayed in the pool drinking beer while I was out sightseeing. 

You NEED to see the Saturn V building. Besides the obvious giant rocket hanging from the ceiling, they have a used Apollo capsule on display off to the side, an assortment of various spacesuits (I think Mercury through Apollo) next to the capsule, as well as a stand where you can touch a moon rock.

If you can time it so that you can see a launch, then DO IT. I'm heading down to Florida in a few days, but sadly not in time for CRS-11.

On 5/25/2017 at 5:45 PM, DarthVader said:

Go to the South Gate of CCAFS, dope space museum and SpaceX LCC. Port canaveral has the ASDS dock.

Can't agree more.

I would recommend the explore bus tour, and the early space bus tour. The early space bus tour takes you to a bunch of the historic launch pads and their blockhouses. You can see the Gemini 2 capsule on it too. But (IIRC) you need a passport or drivers license if you're over 16.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.