ZooNamedGames' Let's Play Series has Started!

ZooNamedGames

Upcoming Let's Play series Questions...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are you excited for this?!

• Hell yeah!
    • Yes!
    • Not really...
    • Boring!
  2. 2. What kind of content do you want to see?

• PlayStation 2 Games
    • Xbox 360 Games
    • GameCube Games
    • NES games
    • Super Nintendo Games
    • PC games (poor quality until I get my new PC)
    • More Science Lectures!
    • Something else (mention below)
  3. 3. Which should I start with first?

• Playstion 2 Games
    • Super Nintendo Games
    • GameCube Games
    • Science Lectures

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Oh wow,,, that sucks.... and sounds suspiciously like a cat  

1 hour ago, Spartwo said:

Yea, the word cleanly sounds like a cat. Shame though.

33 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Yes, yes, it does. I've lost more headphones to this than any other reason...

Yes, especially when you have to replace them because of stupid animal that's also a member of the family...

Well, your cat just wanted to play... :huh: Unfortunately, the critter chose the wrong thing to play with. My cat doesn't chew wires, but loves to knock things off the table to get my attention.

Ironically all three of you are wrong as the cultprit is rabbit, and a giant spoiled one at that who's been in the house because her health was concerning.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Ironically all three of you are wrong as the cultprit is rabbit, and a giant spoiled one at that who's been in the house because her health was concerning.

Ahhhhh... well, it was a good guess. But I've had rabbits, and I totally understand how it was still a clean cut through the wires! Hope she feels better. :)

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Ahhhhh... well, it was a good guess. But I've had rabbits, and I totally understand how it was still a clean cut through the wires! Hope she feels better. :)

She's seems to be out of the woods now but still spoiled rotten.

Qyd65aB.jpg

You know what- NO.

I won't surrender now. I've got a whole week. I've found a place that might be able to repair it (and may able to upgrade me up a pair if they can). As such, I'll see what they can do and go from there.

I do have a spare microphone granted I'll have to use speakers for sound. So I still have a chance, just a massive drop in quality.

Also I examined all the wires around where my headphones were and she specifically chose the headphones over the dozen wires entangled with it. Granted it's the only wire that's red out of the dozen but maybe that's why she did.

Anyway I'm hoping to visit the place tomorrow and see what they can say about it. 

Is there a reason you can't simply strip the wires back half an inch or so, twist them together and wrap it up in electrical tape (with a matchstick optionally thrown in to keep it from flexing)?  Bonus points for soldering the wires, but in the short term it won't make a huge difference.

It might be a personal thing, but for something like that I wouldn't bother getting someone to fix it, it'll likely cost a significant fraction of the cost of just replacing it.

That's the spirit! :cool:

Also, do you have some electrical tape and a craft knife? I think you could probably repair it to a usable level. A soldering iron (and solder) would be even better, but are probably not necessary. Figuring out which wire goes where might be the most difficult part, but there are only...four wires? That's twenty-four combinations--well within the realm of brute-force search! If the conductors are distinctive or the insulation is marked, even better. Just find yourself a right/left tone generator on YouTube or something to test it.

18 minutes ago, pxi said:

Is there a reason you can't simply strip the wires back half an inch or so, twist them together and wrap it up in electrical tape (with a matchstick optionally thrown in to keep it from flexing)?  Bonus points for soldering the wires, but in the short term it won't make a huge difference.

It might be a personal thing, but for something like that I wouldn't bother getting someone to fix it, it'll likely cost a significant fraction of the cost of just replacing it.

Idk how much it was but likely near $150 is my guess, and services would have to be exceptional to warrant that price.

Plus I don't have time nor the electrical skill to know what I'm doing. Experience has shown unless its an NES- I'll likely break it in the process.

19 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

That's the spirit! :cool:

Also, do you have some electrical tape and a craft knife? I think you could probably repair it to a usable level. A soldering iron (and solder) would be even better, but are probably not necessary. Figuring out which wire goes where might be the most difficult part, but there are only...four wires? That's twenty-four combinations--well within the realm of brute-force search! If the conductors are distinctive or the insulation is marked, even better. Just find yourself a right/left tone generator on YouTube or something to test it.

Rather just let a professional test it as I'll likely damage it worse.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Experience has shown unless its an NES- I'll likely break it in the process.

I would think that a headphone cable would be less complex. But you know yourself better than I do, and I respect that.

Just now, 0111narwhalz said:

I would think that a headphone cable would be less complex. But you know yourself better than I do, and I respect that.

I probably could, but while I'm there I could have them replace the fact it uses a USB connection (why? It's for aircraft anyway) to a 3.5mm jack. I could also have them look over an old exotic headset and see if they could repurpose it since it's dead anyway. 

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I probably could, but while I'm there I could have them replace the fact it uses a USB connection (why? It's for aircraft anyway) to a 3.5mm jack. I could also have them look over an old exotic headset and see if they could repurpose it since it's dead anyway. 

If it's a USB connection I'd reckon it's unlikely they could simply convert it to an audio jack.

EDIT: USB does however have the advantage of a standard colour-coding scheme were you to decide to go the cable-splicing route, so no which-lead-goes-where guesswork fwiw.

Edited by pxi

5 minutes ago, pxi said:

If it's a USB connection I'd reckon it's unlikely they could simply convert it to an audio jack.

EDIT: USB does however have the advantage of a standard colour-coding scheme were you to decide to go the cable-splicing route, so no which-lead-goes-where guesswork fwiw.

Maybe. I can't remember if there was color coded wires or not. Think there wasn't. I never really looked as I was just too devastated to discover them like that to look for details. So we'll see.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Maybe. I can't remember if there was color coded wires or not. Think there wasn't. I never really looked as I was just too devastated to discover them like that to look for details. So we'll see.

Should be, I've yet to see a device that didn't obey the standard, but it's admittedly not beyond the realms of possibility.

attachment.php?s=91db3ffb4861e458c956fac

8 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

We've had a rabbit. Ate parts of the house. But they are soft and fluffy. Also, is this rabbit part of a cult?

Good luck with repairs

Edited by qzgy

Just now, qzgy said:

We've had a rabbit. Ate parts of the house. But they are soft and fluffy. Also, is this rabbit part of a cult?

My mind is excessively scrambled. I honestly think I'm losing my mind as I used to be an impeccable speller and now my language skills are deteriorating (WHY) .

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

My mind is excessively scrambled. I honestly think I'm losing my mind as I used to be an impeccable speller and now my language skills are deteriorating (WHY) .

*cough* autocorrect perhaps? *cough*

13 minutes ago, pxi said:

Should be, I've yet to see a device that didn't obey the standard, but it's admittedly not beyond the realms of possibility.

attachment.php?s=91db3ffb4861e458c956fac

Seems after a few minutes of analysis, that it is color coded. 

Just now, qzgy said:

*cough* autocorrect perhaps? *cough*

Even without texting I'm still falling apart :/ . I feel like I've lost a quarter or more of my vocabulary for no reason. 

Ah well.

1 minute ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Seems after a few minutes of analysis, that it is color coded. 

Even without texting I'm still falling apart :/ . I feel like I've lost a quarter or more of my vocabulary for no reason. 

Probably best not to worry too much about it.

Just a heads-up: That coffee we gave you earlier had fluorescent calcium in it so we can track the neuronal activity in your brain. There's a slight chance the calcium could harden and vitrify your frontal lobe. Anyway, don't stress yourself thinking about it. I'm serious. Visualizing the scenario while under stress actually triggers the reaction.

:P

Ok the plan is this; since my headphones are down what I'm going to do is science lectures until I can get my console situation improved. Once I get the audio set as best as I can then I'll play through console games with PC games on pause.

Hopefully by October I'll have a new PC and by November, a new headset just before Christmas (last thing I want to have to do is get a replacement for my Christmas present the following Christmas).

So keep following closely.

On 27/05/2017 at 8:14 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

Cave Johnson was a wonderful character, wasn't he?

One of the best, but no-one could come close to GLaDOS. 

21 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

last thing I want to have to do is get a replacement for my Christmas present the following Christmas.

I had to do that exact thing when the turtle beach Z6As I got for my birthday unexpectedly went dead in the left ear cup the week before Christmas. Nice timing, as I had an excuse to replace them with some vastly superior Logitech G440s with warranty, but I was pretty disappointed with turtle beach. Looking forward to your series!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.