Kerbal crashes every 5 mins

Hello everyone!

I 've I discovered this game a month ago and i've played it quite a bit.

Since a week or so it has been really hard to play it. I have no idea why but the game crashes every 5 minutes. I have  opened a post on Steam but a member said maybe it would be better here, so here I'm!

I've tried everything I can reinstall the game, steam, windows, with a new save file... 

Here is one of a hundred crash log :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_99jMYm_pqReFBHYU5aTVZDbUk

I don't understand much of it, maybe someone can help?

Thanks!

Can't find anything in the KSP logs hinting at the cause of the crash, sorry.

Error.log tells of an Access violation, but is pointing to a perfect valid memory location. However, the user address space reported (= 128 TB), though perfectly addressable with a x64 architecture, is way larger than what a Windows x64 system allocates (8 TB).

Spoiler

Abstract from MS TechNet: Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory

64-bit processes use 64-bit pointers, so their theoretical maximum address space is 16 exabytes (2^64). However, Windows doesn’t divide the address space evenly between the active process and the system, but instead defines a region in the address space for the process and others for various system memory resources, like system page table entries (PTEs), the file cache, and paged and non-paged pools.

The size of the process address space is different on IA64 and x64 versions of Windows where the sizes were chosen by balancing what applications need against the memory costs of the overhead (page table pages and translation lookaside buffer – TLB – entries) needed to support the address space. On x64, that’s 8192GB (8TB) and on IA64 it’s 7168GB (7TB – the 1TB difference from x64 comes from the fact that the top level page directory on IA64 reserves slots for Wow64 mappings). On both IA64 and x64 versions of Windows, the size of the various resource address space regions is 128GB (e.g. non-paged pool is assigned 128GB of the address space), with the exception of the file cache, which is assigned 1TB.

Also: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/en_en/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

From error.log:
134217728 MB user address space [134215289 MB free].
Write to location 0412e270 caused an access violation.

While the above is not conclusive, it hints at the OS directing KSP.exe to use memory locations that aren't in the virtual space (which is perfectly manageable); the result could very well be crashes when the OS function allocating memory returns a invalid location. Can't say how your OS figured that much address space, nor how to reset it.

I upload an other log file, maybe it will help:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_99jMYm_pqRUE82eHFNS2lQYWc

I played the game for a long time before it became unstable, I reinstall windows, steam, kerbal, checked my memory, processor, what can I do now ? 

Maybe the error comes for steam and not kerbal? what should I try?

I love this game, this is so annoying....

Indeed, also the error.log with the new crash report shows the same:

134217728 MB user address space [134216651 MB free].
Write to location 0c610750 caused an access violation.

128TB user address space, against 8TB which should be normal.

Again, no exceptions, no errors logged with KSP output_log. Therefore neither KSP itself nor Unity are aware of any issues.

Certainly there have to be system settings allowing the OS to behave that way; but couldn't yet find which. Some settings (e.g. 4GT Tuning) reduce user address space: could be worth a try even if going below the 8TB, so to verify the game becomes stable that way. Beware if not an expert with system settings, even more with the registry: changing things unappropriately may result in a unbootable OS.

This one puzzled me too, I've seen the convo on steam also.  I went digging for a reason and all i could find was confirmation that indeed windows 8.1 and above allow for 64bit applications to have 128TB address space. 

I did however discover some other perhaps related info,  and have a couple of question as i can't  dl the logs for some reason,  have you massively increased your pagefile size? perhaps in attempt to make up for a lack of RAM. Or have you, being blessed with a massive stack of RAM,  disabled your pagefile altogether?    Both of these things seem able to cause similar problems to that which you are having ( Info only via reading other articles, it's not something I've experienced)

Hey Spanner, sorry to answer so late,

I havent' done any modification to the game or steam as I am not an expert. I just installed the game via steam and one time I installed the kerbal alarm clock that I deleted after.

I didn't change my swap settings I just moved it from my ssd to hdd.

Check with this link google drive works usually:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_99jMYm_pqRaEZhRHdhTkxNT0k

Edited by lucas1414

Hey everybody,

It looks like, since I reset my BIOS to an anterior version I have no more crashes, the processor must have been a little instable with the really little oc I made or maybe an driver problem.

Cheers to everyone for the help

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.