Amateur Telescope Making (UPDATED 9/23/18) - 20" f/4 Nearly Complete

5 hours ago, Green Baron said:

You haven't given up, good news ! Are you aiming for f/10 or thereabout ?

Good success !

I'm aiming for f/7-f/8. This allows for a 1.83" secondary for maximum contrast, but short enough to not really need a ladder. The OTA will use a split-tube design for portability.

I beveled the 6" mirror and then went back and ground with some 305 emery to remove some very shallow scratches. There's one scratch left near the edge but it shouldn't affect much. Polishing supplies arrive tomorrow.

Edited by _Augustus_

I went and bought a hot plate so that I wouldn't have to make a mess on/around the stove. The hot plate worked very well, and I probably warmed up the pitch a bit too much. But I managed to pour and press the lap without difficulty.

I trimmed the lap using the rubber grid supplied in the kit, then microfaceted it with an Xacto knife. The grid and microfacets exist to allow the cerium oxide to flow across the surface of the lap. 

I polished for around an hour. The mirror looks closer to polished out now.

The channels in the lap wore down very fast, and part of the lap appears worn (I don't have a better description). I will have to retrim the lap tomorrow. 

I set up the Ronchi tester today. I have an oblate spheroid, which is pretty close to a sphere and should return to that once polishing is done.

Apparently the focal length is actually 47", using measurements of the ROC taken from the distance between the mirror and tester. Interesting.

Edited by _Augustus_

20 hours ago, _Augustus_ said:

Apparently the focal length is actually 47", using measurements of the ROC taken from the distance between the mirror and tester. Interesting.

The focus shortens quite a bit during polishing and figuring -- far more than it seems like it should.  My 8" f/6.8 went from 70+ inches to 64 inches in those stages.  I think it's because of removing the oblateness, which makes the affected portion much flatter than the average.

3 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

The focus shortens quite a bit during polishing and figuring -- far more than it seems like it should.  My 8" f/6.8 went from 70+ inches to 64 inches in those stages.  I think it's because of removing the oblateness, which makes the affected portion much flatter than the average.

I thought it was 39" initially from measuring on the Sun, but I had a large margin of error there. I'm disappointed that I didn't grind it down further.

On 15.7.2017 at 1:33 AM, _Augustus_ said:

I may or may not make the 6" into a scope, but I am definitely getting a 10" blank next weekend. 

I would suggest to do it as a training and transfer results to the making of the 10". In case you meet more difficulties you could look for solutions on a sample where it doesn't hurt that much ...

Just a suggestion

12 minutes ago, Green Baron said:
On 7/15/2017 at 6:33 AM, _Augustus_ said:

I may or may not make the 6" into a scope, but I am definitely getting a 10" blank next weekend. 

I would suggest to do it as a training and transfer results to the making of the 10". In case you meet more difficulties you could look for solutions on a sample where it doesn't hurt that much ...

Just a suggestion

He probably means making the telescope (ie. tube etc).

@_Augustus_ Actually you could use the mirror for other things. Homemade schlieren apparatus perhaps ? Would be interesting in cloudy conditions :wink:

I forgot to mention that a friend who no longer has time for telescope making is sending me a whole bunch of free pitch, grit, polish, and I think some blanks. It will take a couple weeks though.

Maybe I'll build some other stuff with that. Perhaps a Gregorian?

I've wanted to make a Gregorian for literally decades.  I think making the secondary to diffraction-limited accuracy is likely to be a significant challenge, since the secondary for a 10" Gregorian would be only around 2" diameter, and it needs to be ellipsoidal, rather than paraboloidal (complicates testing a bit, in some ways).  One way to meet the challenge is to make the primary bigger, of course -- if you have a 16" primary, you could make the secondary with a standard 4" blank.  Of course, then you have to trepan, grind, polish, and figure the 16" primary...

On 7/19/2017 at 7:21 PM, Zeiss Ikon said:

I've wanted to make a Gregorian for literally decades.  I think making the secondary to diffraction-limited accuracy is likely to be a significant challenge, since the secondary for a 10" Gregorian would be only around 2" diameter, and it needs to be ellipsoidal, rather than paraboloidal (complicates testing a bit, in some ways).  One way to meet the challenge is to make the primary bigger, of course -- if you have a 16" primary, you could make the secondary with a standard 4" blank.  Of course, then you have to trepan, grind, polish, and figure the 16" primary...

Didn't know the secondary had to be ellipsoidal. There's a nice log of the making of a 6" Greg made by this guy from the Netherlands here.

My only concern is boring the hole in the primary - I don't have the equipment to do that myself. I suppose I could do a Nasmyth design with a flat after the secondary, but that would lead to a bit of light loss and I'm not sure how one would collimate that.

EDIT: So the blanks he's sending are 4-5" plate glass blanks along with some smaller Cassegrain secondary blanks. I will pick up a 6-8" blank at Stellafane and save it for a Gregorian.

Edited by _Augustus_

On 7/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, _Augustus_ said:

A Gregorian uses two paraboloidal mirrors, both concave. There's a nice log of the making of a 6" Greg made by this guy from the Netherlands here.

Better recheck.  If your secondary is going to refocus and form a second real image without aberrations, it has to have two foci, which is part of the definition of an ellipse.  A second paraboloid would be correct if you're collimating a parallel beam to a larger or smaller diameter, but that's not what a Gregorian needs to do.

Trepanning the primary isn't too hard.  After you finish the medium grits (say, 600) and have a reasonable sphere, make a bit by mounting a piece of copper pipe concentric with a shaft that fits your drill press chuck (you can use epoxy for this, no need to solder), and use 80-120 grit applied under the edge of the pipe, with water, to drill the glass from the back side.  Stop just before you come through (1/16" remaining is about right), to finish after polishing and figuring, or if you go through, cement the plug back in with plaster of paris, to be softened by soaking after you finish polishing and figuring.  Do make sure your drill press is plugged into a GFCI for this operation -- an ordinary grounding plug won't protect, but a GFCI will.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.