For the love of Buddha...

So that I might achieve harmony with the heavens, I'd love to have the order I sort parts by remembered. 

I always want my parts to be sorted by mass because it  is useful. Sort by name (the default) is always pointless and sort by cost pointless to me as I only play science mode or sandbox.  

I know its only a click away to change the sort but a small nagging pain to have to do it on every return to the VAB/SPH. How hard would it would for Squad to sneak into the settings file the last order I used?

Om. 

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I'd like it if the game would revert to the pre-1.2 sorting system. As to remembering the order? Well I don't filter them much... :/

Umm, I don't recall the pre-1.2 sorting being that different. You mean what appeared on what tab?

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

Umm, I don't recall the pre-1.2 sorting being that different. You mean what appeared on what tab?

Yeah they split everything up into more precise tabs and it seems I'm the 1% that dislikes it. I still go to structural for decouplers, utility for docking ports and electrical components and aero for the fairings.

...Ugh...

2 minutes ago, Foxster said:

Yea, though I have kinda got over it now. 

Probably better like it is now for new players though. 

Probably... but I'm the 1% that takes forever to adapt to change. Wish there was just a "classical sorting" setting.

Ah well.

1 minute ago, Foxster said:

I'm fairly sure that there is a customising mod that lets you set your own part groups. Or is it maybe even stock now?

If there's a mod to reset it to the classic setting, I don't know of it and it isn't in 1.2.2. I can't update to 1.2.9 so I wouldn't know if it has for that version or for the upcoming 1.3 update. Hope it is.

10 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

If there's a mod to reset it to the classic setting, I don't know of it and it isn't in 1.2.2. I can't update to 1.2.9 so I wouldn't know if it has for that version or for the upcoming 1.3 update. Hope it is.

You can move the parts with module manager.  The new tabs will remain though.

9 hours ago, Foxster said:

It's a pity that the least useful sort (by name) is the default one.

I gave it a shot, but the area of the API in question is not documented at all.  I despise coding by experimentation, that's why I don't have many KSP mods.  If someone wants to try and continue the work, this is the code I started on.  It doesn't work.

using UnityEngine;
using KSP.UI.Screens;

namespace SortByMass
{
    [KSPAddon(KSPAddon.Startup.EditorAny, true)]
    public class SortByMass : MonoBehaviour
    {
        [KSPField(guiActive = false, isPersistant = true)]
        int sortMode;

bool ascending;

bool isSorted = false;

public void Awake()
        {
            PartCategorizer.Instance.editorPartList.partListSorter.AddOnSortCallback(onSort);
            GameEvents.onEditorShowPartList.Add(sort);
        }

public void onSort(int mode, bool asc)
        {
            sortMode = mode;
            ascending = asc;
            isSorted = true;
        }

public void sort()
        {
            if (isSorted)
            {
                PartCategorizer.Instance.editorPartList.partListSorter.startSortingMode.SetState(sortMode);
                PartCategorizer.Instance.editorPartList.partListSorter.startSortingAsc = ascending;
                PartCategorizer.Instance.editorPartList.Refresh();
            }
        }
    }
}

On 5/30/2017 at 9:56 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Let me know if you get anywhere with my idea.

Well, if all you want is "stop putting those parts in the new, fine-grained categories, and put them back where they used to be", then that's barely even a mod-- I don't think any code is needed, you could do it with just a simple ModuleManager patch.  (e.g. "for every part in the 'electrical' category, set it to 'utility' category" or whatever you like).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.