Remember when "We are dedicated to adding multiplayer" was a thing?

18 minutes ago, Talavar said:

Believe me... I already sat in your chair.. I simply looked at it in my steam list, and came to check out what was going on, and got angry because I've been waiting for it, and it's still not here... this thread saw a bit of my fire when it was first started... It was of-course edited out by moderators.. but that's fine.. my anger passed.. lol

If you sit in my chair you would not get angry when squad continue to do the same behaviour. Like you would not get angry about a rock obeying the law of gravity and staying still instead of floating into the air. You seem to have some slight expectation remaining, leading to the anger.

Just give up, it does not change the outcome, only your reaction to it.

7 minutes ago, John FX said:

If you sit in my chair you would not get angry when squad continue to do the same behaviour. Like you would not get angry about a rock obeying the law of gravity and staying still instead of floating into the air. You seem to have some slight expectation remaining, leading to the anger.

Just give up, it does not change the outcome, only your reaction to it.

I meant that I had already been passive about it (sat in your chair) That was a while ago though... but after so much time passing and not playing so long, I got flared up about it, because I had assumed that it would have SURELY been done by now.. only to come and see that STILL no effort had been made..

Edited by Talavar

Just now, Talavar said:

I meant that I had already been passive about it (sat in your chair) That was a while ago though... but after so much time passing, I got flared up about it, because I had assumed that it would have SURELY been done by now.. only to come and see that STILL no effort had been made..

I know that is what you meant, I have been where you are and moved on. There is no `surely by now?` left in me...

Multi-player gaming would be fun if you are into that, but for me I prefer to be playing on my own.

What I would really like to see, but know it won't ever happen, is a system set up - maybe on servers similar to Elite: Dangerous - which would give us the opportunity to explore other star systems in the same galaxy as Kerbin.

Alas when it comes to computer games, "...hope can drive a man insane", as Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption.

7 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Multi-player gaming would be fun if you are into that, but for me I prefer to be playing on my own.

What I would really like to see, but know it won't ever happen, is a system set up - maybe on servers similar to Elite: Dangerous - which would give us the opportunity to explore other star systems in the same galaxy as Kerbin.

Alas when it comes to computer games, "...hope can drive a man insane", as Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption.

If you have enough ram, there is a mod that actually generates many star systems for you. i've played with 20 stars and 29 more planets. it generates it for you. you can change seeds, and it will generate a new system for you.. you can also tell it how big of a system you want.. https://spacedock.info/mod/1115/To Boldly Go

Here is a youtube video explaining it.

Edited by Talavar

1 minute ago, Noud said:

how cool multiplayer would be...

the only problem i have is how do you deal with time warp?

If you timewarp, you are put in your own time frame.  for instance.. you launch, and then set a homan transfer  and timewarp to the moon. and it takes you 6 hours of warp.. your time is now 6:00 am....  however, since I didn't warp, it's showing me your last known trajectory before you warped (heading to the moon).. (this is simple because you can't warp in atmosphere, and you dont warp untill you have set your trajectory)  So on my end, You are still flying to the moon.. however.. If I timewarp, it will continue your trajectory, and make checks to see when our times cross, and it will update your location accordingly.. it's actually kind of hard to explain.. best way to try it is to set up DMP with a friend and try it out. It works well. Anyway, when we want to work together, whoever is in the past simply presses "sync time" and it will put you both in the same time frame, and update your location in orbit accordingly by how much time has past.

@ Talavar: Oh excellent, many thanks for drawing my attention to this mod which I was unaware of before.

At the minute I'm in the middle of my first "proper" career game, a few were started previously but for one reason or another were dropped, and am just preparing my first ever attempt at landing on Duna and Ike.  However I will DEFINITELY be taking a closer look at this mod in the not-too-distant-future.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this mod, thanks very much. 

11 minutes ago, Casualnaut said:

Okay, this is ridiculous. These Squad devs send you news every single week about how hard they are working to make YOU guys happy, and all you do whine about a half-promise made back in 2014? C'mon people, got to give Squad more respect! Just download DMP and call it a day...

I'll tell you what is ridiculous.. When I come on a forum, voice my concerns, and someone calls it ridiculous.. >.< . anyway..  They aren't making "me" happy. They are doing nothing that interests me. I play on PC.. I don't need localization, and I don't need more parts.. They haven't done anything worth while in months unless you're playing on console, and that is simply a port.... DMP is nice, but it has it's limits. It won't work completely accurately until it's tied into the game itself.  

51 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

@ Talavar: Oh excellent, many thanks for drawing my attention to this mod which I was unaware of before.

At the minute I'm in the middle of my first "proper" career game, a few were started previously but for one reason or another were dropped, and am just preparing my first ever attempt at landing on Duna and Ike.  However I will DEFINITELY be taking a closer look at this mod in the not-too-distant-future.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to let me know about this mod, thanks very much. 

No problem man, I had a lot of fun with it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)

Edited by Talavar

On 5/31/2017 at 6:51 PM, SchweinAero said:

Thank you for being one of the rare voices of experience in this kind of thread.

To everyone else: If you have a concern about multiplayer and haven't tried DMP yet, please, I beg you on my knees, do. It's not perfect by any means, but knowing our best current option will sharpen your questions immensely. It will also lend credibility to your thoughts.

I'm very disappointed with how MP appears to have fallen through the cracks. I too am one of those people who have been waiting on it for a long time.

To the naysayers, why do you think nobody would use such a feature? This is like telling people something like multiplayer for Minecraft is a waste of time. Multiplayer almost invariably makes sandbox games far more interesting. And those saying it's a waste of time are looking at ONLY their narrow vision of what they could possibly use it for. What's MP for? Whatever the individual wants to do with it. Whether they want to have a collab space agency, a resource war, lunar rover races, or a Kerbal love shack on Eeloo, that's all up to them. And there has been a demand for this since the very beginning. There are groups of players who trade savegame files back and forth for the sake of doing turn-based MP, which is a very tedious method for achieving something that could be handled through much simpler means. I remember a real-time competitive combat game developed using complex AI which would allow players to design war machines, load them all into a single game, and then let them battle it out on auto -- you really think they're not itching to manually fly these vessels against each other? There are also roleplayers who love the additional immersion aspect of EACH playable unit being controlled by a different human. There are PLENTY of reasons to have a multiplayer system and it's one of those features (like having a mod community in the first place) that will 'automatically' produce additional game content.

Unfortunately, the nature of modding has become a hindrance as well as a help. The more integral a feature is, the less it should be left up to modders to handle. One thing I absolutely hate is becoming 'dependent' upon a mod with the knowledge that it's just going to abruptly stop working when the build number changes, and the developer is no longer working on it, and then the "feature" is lost forever. I can put up with that if it's a few random ship parts, but something like MP? That's just ridiculous.

And now, based on what I've read in this thread, the dev team is moving (albeit very slowly) towards a not-so-thinly-veiled microtransaction model. New ship parts as a DLC? That feels like a bad sign to me. That's the kind of thing you sell when you expand the solar system, offer a permanent graphics upgrade, or... you know... multiplayer servers.

Edited by vger

On 6/7/2017 at 7:14 PM, Elthore said:

I am also very saddened and appalled by the false promise of multiplayer. I can go on saying mean things but whats the use, they lied and its disappointing.

Are we absolutely sure they *promised*?

What "lies" have they actually told?

"We are going to add multiplayer in the future" - is not a lie if during development it turns out not to be practical. Nor is it really a "promise" to break either. 

Did they say anything more concrete than that? Because if they did, it would have been the first/only time in KSP history.

I take it nobody has bought KSP *specifically* based on a hope that it will be multiplayer in the indistinct "future". That would be really  silly.

Edited by p1t1o

2 hours ago, p1t1o said:

Did they say anything more concrete than that?

Depending on how you want to understand the statement "'...Squad is committed to making multiplayer a part of the final release,' Squad PR manager Bob Holtzman said."

(While it could be interpreted that way, my personal opinion is that taking it as a guarantee of multiplayer being added is a bit of a stretch.)

On 06/06/17 at 7:57 AM, Casualnaut said:

Well you guys argue all you want when you can get DMP, console can't. :/

DMP doesn't work. Its a proof of concept but mods don't have the ability to provide reliable multiplayer.  There isn't enough ability in the API to do it and DMP is massively buggy.

On 2017-6-20 at 5:01 PM, sirgoodman said:

KSP is not a game that multiplayer would make sense with  

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to have your opinion. 

I see tons of cool things users can do and it would extend the life of this game with decades. People are still playing Doom and Descent, almost 25 years after they hit the market.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

I see tons of cool things users can do and it would extend the life of this game with decades. People are still playing Doom and Descent, almost 25 years after they hit the market.

I still play through medieval total war, as far as I know that game is well over a decade old, maybe more. Later games did not have the things that made that game great so I still play it. I am thinking of getting a copy of Descent that will work on a modern win 7 PC because in the mean time no other game was released which has the same qualities that made Descent great.

KSP could be another of those games if career can be modded enough, maybe with multiplayer for those that like that.

2 hours ago, Azimech said:

I have to totally agree here,  all of the MP threads have all the same arguments, and I find it rather amusing that all the reasons why it'd be no good are exactly the reasons that makes MP Space Engineers have small but enthusiastic following .

Players doing different things sometimes not seeing each other for days , but all working toward a common goal.

We all had our own space, own base, own ships, but all contributed to supplies  and pitched in on large building projects . The occasional pirate hunt, a racing league, a dogfight league.

Plus when you get a group working well together the ideas that are generated and things that become possible are usually greater than any one solo player could ever achieve in a lifetime. I somehow managed to rack up over 3000 hrs on one server ( and before anyone says it I know only too well how buggy it can be)

8 hours ago, Azimech said:

"No I need to go to 1000x time warp NOW I dont care if your rover behaves "oddly" at 1000x."

"Well I dont care that your mission is due to take 4 years real-time, I've got stuff to do here."

Sure there are DEFINITELY some things that would be fun with a kind of multiplayer, but how does the above situation not ruin everything?

Think how often you use that acceleration feature. That it would cause problems with multiplayer is not an opinion.

Single-ship multiplayer - as in, all players are crewing one vessel - would make sense, I can see a market for that. Its about the only MP situation I can see working at all.

But the devs are not obligated in any way to do it, I can see it being a whole HEAP of work.

5 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I have to totally agree here,  all of the MP threads have all the same arguments, and I find it rather amusing that all the reasons why it'd be no good are exactly the reasons that makes MP Space Engineers have small but enthusiastic following .

Players doing different things sometimes not seeing each other for days , but all working toward a common goal.

We all had our own space, own base, own ships, but all contributed to supplies  and pitched in on large building projects . The occasional pirate hunt, a racing league, a dogfight league.

Plus when you get a group working well together the ideas that are generated and things that become possible are usually greater than any one solo player could ever achieve in a lifetime. I somehow managed to rack up over 3000 hrs on one server ( and before anyone says it I know only too well how buggy it can be)

Amusing? Space Engineers is a completely different game, with entirely different mechanics...

Edited by p1t1o

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.