Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

7 hours ago, Jammer-TD said:

well not exactly true.. although it maybe that a .dll will cause issues. several with dll do work and a few (tasier,ampyear) complain but function.

so there is no definitive listing to a dll causing the crashes. listing the ones that fail can help other users that is why I added to the list

Well, yes, not all plugins will be affected (#NotAllPlugins!!!).  But the mods without a dll will generally be OK, unless they depend on a plugin from a different mod.

Forgot.  Unless they have a manufacturer.  But then it doesn't stop anything except having the manufacturer show in the select parts by manufacturer section of the VAB UI.

Anyone looking to fix this for mods they author just needs to add a "title = " field.  Name is now internal and the game shows the title instead, presumably as SQUAD don't want to go around localizing primary keys.

Edited by TiktaalikDreaming

10 hours ago, White Owl said:

Personally, I'd love to see an option for a split screen kind of view. See your vehicle and surroundings on the left half of the screen -- in whatever orientation you like -- and display the map on the right half. Put the navball and any other instruments or displays anywhere on the screen you like. Or since so many of us have multiple monitors nowadays, put the flight view on one monitor and the map on another. That would be extremely cool.

Me too, you can always check out what @sarbian has been up to in that space too - although it needs an upgrade in Unity to go further: 

On 5/25/2017 at 9:49 PM, SpareAlchemist said:

Dayumn, boiz. So much hate in steam comments. Like they don't even read the whole article. Everyone's complaining 'bout the localization. Like it's the end of the world and their favourite mods won't update to current version... Jeeeez...
Anyways,nice to see you're still polishing the game. Awaiting for Making History (?how looong?)

Actually.... for me, and I bet there are many like me, mods is what makes this game fun. I can't play vanilla game. Since every update breaks vast majority of mods, yeah people get upset. It'll be weeks again before I can enjoy KSP again or I need to go back to an old version.

The reason people are further upset is that there are many problems with the game that needed fixing. Localization was not one of them. So boasting how much time and effort Squad spent on localizations is rubbing these  people the wrong way. For me, the dreaded Mono memory stutter and sudden framerate drops is what nearly drove to stop playing the game.

56 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

Actually.... for me, and I bet there are many like me, mods is what makes this game fun. I can't play vanilla game. Since every update breaks vast majority of mods, yeah people get upset. It'll be weeks again before I can enjoy KSP again or I need to go back to an old version.

The reason people are further upset is that there are many problems with the game that needed fixing. Localization was not one of them. So boasting how much time and effort Squad spent on localizations is rubbing these  people the wrong way. For me, the dreaded Mono memory stutter and sudden framerate drops is what nearly drove to stop playing the game.

As part of the work in release we did work on a bunch of fixes for the core game, added some extra bits alongside the core push - which was Localization. The Localization push meant we were touching a fair few bits fof the code and it allowed us to spend time in there doing work to reduce the GCAlloc too. In the big picture the drive for localization gave us some focus on areas of the game where GC had not been looked at previously - it was a nice coming together of some goals imo - and we also tagged some things to tackle for GC in the future. These things dont live in isolation but there is only soo much time in a day - says the guy posting on a Sunday :P - theres goodness in 1.3 for everyone - that is just my opinion - but the amount you get will vary based on your personal goals.

For people happy with Mods its the same as its always been - stay with the version that supports your mods till they are updated and let the people who are happy to go earlier enjoy the newness - the two can live side by side in harmony

2 minutes ago, eminrovers said:

if its impossible to change the language to English, i will never play ksp 1.3 and for me im going to say that this update is the update that i really hate!

You can change the language. Perhaps you should rephrase you original question or clarify.
(edit) You are able to change the language in steam to any of the supported languages. that includes English.
for KSP Store purchases you are able to download the different languages as patches that you can apply to the game.

2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

How exactly are people accidentally downloading the wrong language?  No snark intended.  I'd really like to know.

The steam client sets the default language initially based on region of your Steam account settings. So that could be how. But if you change it for a game then it remembers that setting for each game.

2 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

As part of the work in release we did work on a bunch of fixes for the core game, added some extra bits alongside the core push - which was Localization. The Localization push meant we were touching a fair few bits fof the code and it allowed us to spend time in there doing work to reduce the GCAlloc too. In the big picture the drive for localization gave us some focus on areas of the game where GC had not been looked at previously - it was a nice coming together of some goals imo - and we also tagged some things to tackle for GC in the future. These things dont live in isolation but there is only soo much time in a day - says the guy posting on a Sunday :P - theres goodness in 1.3 for everyone - that is just my opinion - but the amount you get will vary based on your personal goals.

For people happy with Mods its the same as its always been - stay with the version that supports your mods till they are updated and let the people who are happy to go earlier enjoy the newness - the two can live side by side in harmony

Fixing terrain seams is a big improvement. From the short time I spent with 1.3, although only a fraction of mods, I did not experience the stutter. If that is fixed too then it'll make me very happy.

But unfortunately, as you said, I need to stick to 1.2.2 for the time being.

2 hours ago, CraftyDwarf said:

About 8 of my favorite mods aren't up for this, so I am shot in the foot. probably for weeks.

Lucky you. How about 30+ mods broken? Yup, last time it took about 4-5 weeks for my favorite mods to get fixed. I'm just crossing fingers that Nertea finds time to update Near Future mods. Although NF Solar, Craft and Space Station Expansions mods work. But there is so much more.So I have to stick with 1.2.2 in a separate directory.

BTW, there is dev version of MechJeb that works with 1.3:

https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/

Edited by Kerbital

I hope this suggestion isn't entirely out of line here...

Most KSP mods needing updates are hosted publicly on Github (check their source code links to be sure). That means you can download the code, fix it yourself, and submit what's called a "pull request" to have your fixes incorporated into the main repository, thus potentially speeding up the update process by giving the author a head start on creating a version that compiles and runs. It's not the easiest thing to do, but if you know any programming or are patient and willing to learn, there's never a better time than the present to try. Then later when you have that brilliant idea for a brand new mod, you'll already have some experience of how it works. And in the meantime you'll have a better understanding of the sorts of obstacles that keep your favorite mods from being available now, now, now.

14 hours ago, monstah said:

Heh, seems to me you've solved the riddle :D 

Which mods are these? I want those settings too!

Quick Fine Control  will fix the precision mode. Personally, I don't see any reason to ever use the default, non-precision mode. I wonder why it's even still an option, since precision mode is always better in all situations. Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

Regretfully, I'm forgetting which mod fixed the camera mode. I'll keep looking and edit this post when I find it.

Edit: Found it! Keep it Straight remembers what camera mode you prefer, and will default to that choice. Fantastic mod.

Edited by White Owl
Found the mod

On 26/5/2017 at 6:01 AM, TriggerAu said:

I wouldn't call that covered by NDA HebaruSan. We spent a bunch of time trying to minimize the impact the release would have on Mods, and there's a lot that were handled as mentioned above, but with grammar and gender rules in particular we had to make decisions in a couple of areas that would have an impact. In those cases we made changes so that KSP AND Mods can use the fields in translated versions and the grammar will still work - for example in some languages "the Mun" doesnt apply, but with the new structures it comes out right for everyone.

We did document it all up at the time and share it with the prerelease to try and minimize the impact, but rest assured the changes we did make were made trying to minimise update requirements and make things best all round

I don't even remember why I marked this quote to multiquote, but whatever: is it possible to prepare the game so it lets the user know which mod crashed the game? As in, it's loading, it crashes and, instead of creating a useless log file, it has a clear dialog box which says "The game crashed while loading the xxxx mod" or "The game crashed while loading files from the xxxx folder"?

On 26/5/2017 at 6:04 AM, Tiankay said:

Yes, but usually the expecation is that people dont tamper with the game in any way.

No, it's not. The expectation is that modders will complete the game for free so Squad doesn't have to expend money in dV readouts, transfer windows calculators, a proper audio experience, a way to manage multiple simultaneous missions, etc.

There are plenty of mods that are meant for different tastes. But KAC, KER, all the transfer window planners and Chatterer are pretty much completing a game which is sold as "feature complete", yet provides no way to reach all the planets that appear in the tracking station.

23 hours ago, LoSBoL said:

I have very little patience or pity for players that complain about broken mods as well, just as long as you've warned them to expect this in advance. No matter how 'expected' or 'common knowledge'it feels to you, you shouldn't think that customers act on their responsibilities, no matter how faulty the customer may be.

Yet Squad didn't do that. "Warn them to expect it in advance" would be, for instance, putting a warning in the news section of Steam indicating an update was inminent and, in order to avoid crashes in modded games, customers should either modify Steam options so updates have to be manually installed or the instructions to copy the game's installation folder.

The gaming industry in general should take a crash course in proper customer service practices.

On another subject, I'm using scatterer and terrain seams are far worse than before. Like this

9AjmtHW.png

Is this an issue with Scatterer or does it happen in the stock game as well?

1 hour ago, juanml82 said:

I don't even remember why I marked this quote to multiquote, but whatever: is it possible to prepare the game so it lets the user know which mod crashed the game? As in, it's loading, it crashes and, instead of creating a useless log file, it has a clear dialog box which says "The game crashed while loading the xxxx mod" or "The game crashed while loading files from the xxxx folder"?

No, it's not. The expectation is that modders will complete the game for free so Squad doesn't have to expend money in dV readouts, transfer windows calculators, a proper audio experience, a way to manage multiple simultaneous missions, etc.

There are plenty of mods that are meant for different tastes. But KAC, KER, all the transfer window planners and Chatterer are pretty much completing a game which is sold as "feature complete", yet provides no way to reach all the planets that appear in the tracking station.

Yet Squad didn't do that. "Warn them to expect it in advance" would be, for instance, putting a warning in the news section of Steam indicating an update was inminent and, in order to avoid crashes in modded games, customers should either modify Steam options so updates have to be manually installed or the instructions to copy the game's installation folder.

The gaming industry in general should take a crash course in proper customer service practices.

On another subject, I'm using scatterer and terrain seams are far worse than before. Like this

9AjmtHW.png

Is this an issue with Scatterer or does it happen in the stock game as well?

I've been seeing that, and don't have scatterer installed (I do have mods, but just my own parts mods for testing).  It's really weird, like sections of the landscape float up and away,

kIBGjiC.png

qNp9KJw.png

Tell you what.  It's REALLY hard to do a powered landing without mechjeb or similar tools, and bits of the landscape floating away into the distance.

On 26.5.2017 at 3:23 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

The OP lists the four languages for which this release has added support.

Possibly? Other language support for future versions has been mentioned but I don't think specific ones have been determined yet.

As mentioned before on forum the update integrates ability to make own localisation mods for other as implemented languages. I think if it is good enough it will be integrated in stock support. 

My bothering question is more how long we will stay at 1.3. Because KSP lives through mods and it is every time a big chunk of work for the modders to close the version gap.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

1 hour ago, Urses said:

My bothering question is more how long we will stay at 1.3. Because KSP lives through mods and it is every time a big chunk of work for the modders to close the version gap.

A little speculation (with apologied to @Vanamonde) on my part. 1: Devs have stated that the DLC needs special hooks added to the core game 2: No-one has stated said hooks were in 1.3 3: Said hooks are probably as much work in progress as the DLC as a whole Conclusion: There will be a core game release at the same time or shortly before the DLC hits the stores.

Now whether that releases affects mods or how much, whether it will be a 1.3.x or 1.4 or another version system entirely is anybody's guess. But the devs obviously care about the game so I think they will try to slip in as many core bug fixes as possible.