Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

4 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

I'll admit I would prefer it showing all the time myself, but I wouldn't quite say it isn't useful: it at least shows the selected mode when it is most pertinent - when you are actually using the related gizmo.

At that point its irrelevant to me.  I'll already know because I will have hit the keyboard button twice to figure out where I had it set before I even picked up a part.  It just isn't useful as by the time it shows up is's too late.

4 hours ago, Temeter said:

No, it's more likely. I don't think it's hard to imagine this kind of Indie will be much more successfull in western countries, there is less verbal propaganda west->east because of the language barrier. I've never heard of a western indie making the big money in the east.

Additionally, and more clearly, PC isn't a big thing in japan anyway, even consoles are not that big compared to their mobile market; on the other hand, germany is traditionally a big PC market.

Well... I guess it depends on if you're considering existing players (of which I would agree there are likely more in Germany, especially given the penetration of English as a second language there) or potential players who haven't tried because it was English only. Which do you think localization is aimed at? 

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Well... I guess it depends on if you're considering existing players (of which I would agree there are likely more in Germany, especially given the penetration of English as a second language there) or potential players who haven't tried because it was English only. Which do you think localization is aimed at? 

Existing players are a good point, but even then I'd say my argument still makes mostly sense.

To be fair, I'm rather getting the feeling the current update is more about setting up the base for more translations in the future. Russian, japanese and chinese stand out for not being non-latin languages, and at least the latter two probably needed a lot of work setting up in the first place. IE german is a much more direct translation.

OK, I found the solution. It's a Steam thing, apparently.

It's in the right click menu of the game, under "Play game". It's stupid. It basically forces, ina clandestine way, the players to play 32-bit without knowing. At least you could see what you've chosen before.

Edited by lajoswinkler

18 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

OK, I found the solution. It's a Steam thing, apparently.

It's in the right click menu of the game, under "Play game". It's stupid. It basically forces, ina clandestine way, the players to play 32-bit without knowing. At least you could see what you've chosen before.

• Open Steam
  • Right click KSP in library
  • Select Properties in popup context menu
  • Set launch options...
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

Amend path to whatever suits you.

This will default all startup methods to 64bit.

On 30.5.2017 at 4:03 PM, swjr-swis said:

The saves are compatible across languages, but keep in mind that certain things may be saved in the language you had at the time - for instance, the language of the subjects/descriptions of contracts or science experiments that make it into your savefile are decided at the moment the contract is generated or the experiment is done, and then persists in your savefile. So it is possible to have stuff in different languages in the same savefile if you switch a few times.

I haven't tried to do so, but is it possible to use a 1.2.2 savegame in 1.3? 

Edited by lodger

32 minutes ago, lodger said:

I've seen no immediate errors testing two of my 1.2.2 savegames (sandbox and a career) into 1.3.0... but that was short testing only. I always start new games with new versions.

34 minutes ago, lodger said:

When using sandbox and using 100% stock craft, there is no reason to worry. I have no experience with career.

But as always: better safe than sorry, make a backup of your files.

And instead of upgrading, choose to make a backup of your entire installation. This way you'll be able to run 1.2.2 and 1.3 side by side.

On 2017-6-5 at 9:15 AM, TMS said:
  • Open Steam
  • Right click KSP in library
  • Select Properties in popup context menu
  • Set launch options...
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64.exe" %command%

Amend path to whatever suits you.

This will default all startup methods to 64bit.

Can you remind me to do this in like a months time please? ahaha

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Or ... take a screenshot :-P

but I'll forget to look at the screenshot! 

I've been meaning to do this for... well since we had the option to play x64. I just keep forgetting haha

Squad, do you have any metrics you'd like to present showing utilization of your new localization features?  I'm not sure how robust Steam's reporting features are, but perhaps you can see how many people with their steam configured to  Spanish are using the Spanish version of KSP etc.   A post-mortem of that project, as it were.

On 6/6/2017 at 0:46 PM, pipi22 said:

This is my first message on the forum.
Sorry my bad english:

I try to register in the bugrtraker but the activation message does not arrive in my mail

On 6/6/2017 at 1:12 PM, pipi22 said:

I'm sorry ... I'm so sorry ... I just got the message

No worries, welcome to the forums. Your English is fine. :)

I'm desperately wondering when the wheel bugs will be fixed. I will repeat this here... Auto strutting wheels to the rest of the vessel isn't a long term solution, as it breaks certain designs, such as my Gilly Vanilli rover, and I think Infernal Robotics vessels that have things like deployable wheeled vessels carried by other larger wheeled vessels...

Since Gilly Vanilli was to be my circumnavigation vessel, and the update that forced wheels auto-strut was introduced right when I started my journey... Well, I still haven't finished my journey. My ONLY options are to stick with an out of date version, with fewer features.

Wheels need to be fixed, and not with literal band-aids!

I've refused to update, as I don't want to break my game or my save... Can anyone tell me if wheels are still bound by a forced auto-strut?

23 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Figurative band-aids. Literal would look like this:

But they are Jeb's Junkyard's "Rocket band-aids"... (they're just salvaged struts from vessels that either had too many boosters, or too few struts... thus ending up in Jeb's Junkyard).

Edited by richfiles