Kerbal Space Program update 1.3 Grand Discussion thread.

UomoCapra

13 hours ago, Wallygator said:

So... Are there any plans to have a "signed" KSP app for OSX?

I've been asking the same thing for the last 5 years. It's ridiculous. Unity has built-in support for signing!

As a mod developer, for my first 15m playing with 1.3, it's a massive improvement.

It's fixed a number of bugs I've been running into on my mod.  Wheel destruction throwing script errors, for one.  Performance seems significantly improved as well (although there were some code submissions from a fellow dev that may have improved performance at the same time).

I know you guys may not see a big difference, but from where I stand, it seems to have helped a lot.  Now I gotta go back to trying to position packed vessels properly.  Fun times!

Questions:

1. So fuel lines & struts now have the ability to move the other end. However, when I move one in symmetry, the other one does not. Did I miss something and is there an option to move them all?
  2. The pre-release page of the bugtracker is still open but how can I move the issues I created to the regular tracker? Some of them are just feedback for future versions.
  3. I'd like to vote in the bugtracker but I don't see how. Where should I look?

8 hours ago, Starman4308 said:

The intent of your message, however, ...

I did not want to insult anyone. If i have done this than sorry.

8 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Each of those countries has >50% more population that Germany, so I'd say that is pretty unlikely.

I think whats Maschbauer means is that german (also like french) will not only spoken in his main countrys - german also is the language in Austria and Switzerland - French speaks a great part of the world. Therefore the most other games are translated in this languages first. Another point that speeks for this translation is that here you can use letters - for chinese and japanise you need to convert all in logograms whats really more difficult and no one should wonder about the long time of developementr in this languages.

The third point is that a german translation mod already exist from the german KSP forum. But as they want to provide this to Squad - they say that they dont want this.

I think actual Squad is not as professionell as we think. But no matter - KSP is also nice in english and we all can play this - looking forward what happens in the future.

Edited by KnutG

2 hours ago, Lothsahn said:

As a mod developer, for my first 15m playing with 1.3, it's a massive improvement.

It's fixed a number of bugs I've been running into on my mod.  Wheel destruction throwing script errors, for one.  Performance seems significantly improved as well (although there were some code submissions from a fellow dev that may have improved performance at the same time).

I know you guys may not see a big difference, but from where I stand, it seems to have helped a lot.  Now I gotta go back to trying to position packed vessels properly.  Fun times!

Long time no see! I remember how you were one of the first to build turboprops with me.

Anyway ... about the performance.

I just did a test between 1.1.3 and 1.3 using my crash test simulator car, 1123 parts. Started a new save game, set all GFX to low and all other settings the same (if present). No mods except a modified stock wheel.

My conclusion: there is no performance increase at all, sometimes even a small decrease. It's worst when I crash the car, in 1.1.3 there was hardly a slowdown, in 1.2 and newer the whole simulation pauses from anything between 3 to 10 seconds.

The only versions to be quicker than 1.1.3 were the very first 1.2 pre-release versions. The optimizations really paid off. After that a lot of new features were added and all performance gain was lost.

Here's the car, already being wrecked by the Yllions.

7r9S6wo.png

Edited by Azimech

11 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Each of those countries has >50% more population that Germany, so I'd say that is pretty unlikely.

And French has >50% more speaker than Japanese ... Why Squad haven't translated to Hindi or to Arabic ? It would cover more people than Japanese :wink:
It's only marketplace, not population, not speaker, French/German players who want to play KSP have already bought KSP = lesser marketplace than other.

There's huge French / German communities on KSP which can be angry with lack of communication on language planned/confirmation/roadmap.

It's sad.

And these sort of responses are bad responses, we don't know what language have been planned at the first time, we don't know if the probable language pack will be for this year or in 10 years ...

We only know there was planned 9 languages in November, we saw the work on French/German Kerbal name generator and after this nothing, we wait, we wait and always nothing. And on twitter we can see always the same bad copy-past answer ...

In French, it's call "langue de bois" ^^ (I don't know how to translate this).

Squad you don't like our local communities? Which will work on a project on KSP with CNES to make challenges ... Which had worked on KSP localisation since many years?
We really want to help our children to play to KSP, to help them in the learning of how works space.

@SQUAD@Badie@nestor@UomoCapra a nice, constructive response can make us happy :wink:, don't forget us.

Edited by Malah

I don't care about languages. English is plain, straightforward and easy. Almost a formal language. But easier than C++ :-)

I want a stable game !

Edit: ... but then again, it's not that important. It's just a game and i certainly had my fun with it (in some versions) !

Edited by Green Baron

8 hours ago, Lothsahn said:

Performance seems significantly improved as well

Specifically? I'm not seeing anything noticeable...

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

Anyway ... about the performance.

I just did a test between 1.1.3 and 1.3 using my crash test simulator car, 1123 parts. Started a new save game, set all GFX to low and all other settings the same (if present). No mods except a modified stock wheel.

My conclusion: there is no performance increase at all, sometimes even a small decrease. It's worst when I crash the car, in 1.1.3 there was hardly a slowdown, in 1.2 and newer the whole simulation pauses from anything between 3 to 10 seconds.

Pretty much the same as what I'm seeing, and exactly what I expected.
I would still be running 1.1.3 for the performance, but can't because of the constant crashes...
How's 1.2.2 vs 1.3? I'm seeing much of a sameness here.

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Pre-release: People complaining KSP is getting translated at all.

Post-release: People complaining KSP isn't translated enough.

Pre-release: Me complaining about prioritising translations over performance improvements.
Post-release: Me complaining about prioritising translations over performance improvements.

1 minute ago, steve_v said:

Specifically? I'm not seeing anything noticeable...

Pretty much the same as what I'm seeing, and exactly what I expected.
I would still be running 1.1.3 for the performance, but can't because of the constant crashes...
How's 1.2.2 vs 1.3? I'm seeing much of a sameness here.

Pre-release: Me complaining about prioritising translations over performance improvements.
Post-release: Me complaining about prioritising translations over performance improvements.

I haven't tested 1.2.2 vs 1.3 but I have tested 1.1.3 vs 1.2. Over here you can see my test results (and download the performance tester) https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Performance-Tester

9 hours ago, obi_juan said:

I was thinking in change the language of the program depending on the day, Spanish, English or Japanese... The saves are compatible if you changes the language?

The saves are compatible across languages, but keep in mind that certain things may be saved in the language you had at the time - for instance, the language of the subjects/descriptions of contracts or science experiments that make it into your savefile are decided at the moment the contract is generated or the experiment is done, and then persists in your savefile. So it is possible to have stuff in different languages in the same savefile if you switch a few times.

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Pre-release: People complaining KSP is getting translated at all.

Post-release: People complaining KSP isn't translated enough.

It's almost like the community isn't a monolithic hivemind all wanting the same thing. Shock!

I think I've moved from "waiting for new useful KSP features" on to "waiting for someone else to release a competent KSP clone". 

Edited by Jarin

5 hours ago, Malah said:

And French has >50% more speaker than Japanese ... Why Squad haven't translated to Hindi or to Arabic ? It would cover more people than Japanese :wink:
It's only marketplace, not population, not speaker, French/German players who want to play KSP have already bought KSP = lesser marketplace than other.

There's huge French / German communities on KSP which can be angry with lack of communication on language planned/confirmation/roadmap.

It's sad.

And these sort of responses are bad responses, we don't know what language have been planned at the first time, we don't know if the probable language pack will be for this year or in 10 years ...

We only know there was planned 9 languages in November, we saw the work on French/German Kerbal name generator and after this nothing, we wait, we wait and always nothing. And on twitter we can see always the same bad copy-past answer ...

In French, it's call "langue de bois" ^^ (I don't know how to translate this).

Squad you don't like our local communities? Which will work on a project on KSP with CNES to make challenges ... Which had worked on KSP localisation since many years?
We really want to help our children to play to KSP, to help them in the learning of how works space.

@SQUAD@Badie@nestor@UomoCapra a nice, constructive response can make us happy :wink:, don't forget us.

We're constantly evaluating additional languages for our worldwide audience and will have more to announce soon!

One of the (not so) hidden benefits of localising software is that it needs virtually every line of code be given at least a once over.

That naturally leads to many many bug fixes. So far for me, 1.3 (completely unmodded) seems like it might be the most solid version of KSP yet.

Very happy so far, a massive thank you to the Devs and QA team.

16 minutes ago, Jimmidii said:

One of the (not so) hidden benefits of localising software is that it needs virtually every line of code be given at least a once over.

That naturally leads to many many bug fixes. So far for me, 1.3 (completely unmodded) seems like it might be the most solid version of KSP yet.

Very happy so far, a massive thank you to the Devs and QA team.

Solid, I agree. Lots of old bugs still present though.

33 minutes ago, Badie said:

We're constantly evaluating additional languages for our worldwide audience and will have more to announce soon!

Klingon!

While trawling for updated mods for this release, I've found a bunch of really nice looking mods that I never heard of before. Looking forward to trying them all out. 

My plan is to lob stock only craft at Duna, transfer my kerbals and then transport the save to 1.3

even though the language bit doesn't apply to me bug fixes and easy to read fonts are something to rejoice