Program Lancher unable to save settings

Hello guys,

i'm on windows (10) at the moment. I've bought the game this week + downloaded the latest version as zip. Unpacked it into a custom games folder. Launched the "Launcher.exe".

In both user mode as well as admin mode, the game is not able to save any settings i make in the launcher config screens. It generates an error log in "Launcher_Data/output_log.txt" containing the following lines:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at CFGFileOperator.saveSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at SettingsUI.writeSettingsFile () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at SettingsUI.editorChangedDel (IUIObject obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIManager.DispatchInput () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
(Filename:  Line: -1)

...whenever i press the "apply" or "accept" button.

I had no problems testing kerbal space trial version a year or so earlier, nigher on an old and strongly secured windows XP nor on linux. But the buyable version seems to have problems.

Any advice? Should i create a certain cfg file at a certain point for it so it has something to reference/connect to? (And could you please extend the debug output to the point were the opening of the file handle fails? Eventually with the name of the file failing to open? It would be helpful...)

In admin mode, the systems (and game) runs with no access/software restriction at all. It does not change anything.

At least it starts in admin mode. And says it's the 1.3 prerelease... (i was not aware of that, sorry). Should i downgrade to a release version?

=========================

Some minutes later... After starting the game and going into the config screen in game, the settings that were seemingly not saved at the launcher screens seemingly were but very well saved, because i now find exactly those settings presetted in the game, except screen resolution / full screen.

...Well: Maybe the question has already become irrelevant...

Edited by White-Gandalf

Hi @White-Gandalf

Welcome to the forums, and more importantly,the world of  KSP.

Since your post we have released the full 1.3 version. Please do try this instead.

Depending on where you obtained KSP, the launcher may not be necessary, and the executable can be run directly or via the shortcut that is generated. Please let us know your system specifics and distribution (KSP store, GOG, etc) to enable us to help you further? The game logs help us in identifying problems immensely. 

Here is a guide to where to find the information we require.

Thanks for the help! Yes: I do not use the launcher any more. It's but a little irritating for new users on installation. Maybe: Since the game is highly technical, so are the users, and you do not have to worry too much about such obstacles. It would however shed a better light if it would start flawlessly.

I will eventually upgrade and test the matter on the new version.
Until then: Thanks for the amazing simulator!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.