Survey regarding Multiplayer/Singleplayer Preference in RTS games

SargeRho

Hello,

I'm currently running a survey regarding players preferences in terms of Multiplayer vs Singleplayer mode in RTS Games. I'm an indie-developer myself, and I seem to have grossly misjudged the prevailing attitudes within the RTS player base. I hope it's alright if I post this here, and I'm thankful for all responses! If not, well, may the mods smite me where I stand :D

Link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PL7YL59

Real time strategy games are neither real time, nor strategic. Discuss. :wink:

I said only single player, but I have in fact played a few so-called RTS games with others over the network, just not on the internet. My principle problem with multiplayer is that it ends up killing much of the thinking. Most rts games have a combat element that rewards a sort of play that I don't like, and the fact that time is in fact grossly accelerated kills thinking, imo.

Depends on the game, I suppose. I do enjoy slower RTS games more, games like Homeworld 2, and RT4X games like Sins of a Solar Empire. That's why the game I'm working on is a bit more slow paced, too :P

Edited by SargeRho

How could anyone call a game that involves any naval element or space travel "real time?"

Does travel in the game have players moving between stars instantly (which is a fine FTL mechanic)? What about within a system, do you go so fast that travel between something like earth-mars is a few minutes in real time?

3 hours ago, tater said:

How could anyone call a game that involves any naval element or space travel "real time?"

Does travel in the game have players moving between stars instantly (which is a fine FTL mechanic)? What about within a system, do you go so fast that travel between something like earth-mars is a few minutes in real time?

I think you are taking the "real time" part a bit too literally. It refers to the fact that any action you take, takes effect immediately, instead of being turn-based, it doesn't mean that it's like flying to Duna without time warp.

If you are referring to the game I'm making, Space Travel isn't a game mechanic, and in the story it takes them a few weeks to travel from one planet to the other at constant 1.2 g thrust.

Yeah, I have always taken "real time" to imply real time, ever since early warcraft (1990s), Starcraft, etc. I know what it is supposed to mean, I just think they chose poorly---like "biomes" in KSP.

Even granting my peculiar take on that, the games are almost always tactical in my experience. If the speed of the player clicking something ever matters, it's not terribly strategic.That doesn't mean I haven't liked playing them, mind you, I just don't like the semantics :D . 

There was no option for "multiplayer sucks butt".

If I wanted to play with awful humans, I wouldnt shut myself up in my room with the blinds down on such gloriously sunny days.

1 hour ago, p1t1o said:

There was no option for "multiplayer sucks butt".

That's what the "I only play Singleplayer" option is for, having multiple options for the same answer would be redundant.

10 minutes ago, SargeRho said:

That's what the "I only play Singleplayer" option is for, having multiple options for the same answer would be redundant.

I know :) I was just being petty, the few times I have tried MP gaming I have met too many of "CoD types", if you know what I mean, regardless of the game being played. I can see the attraction, but its not for me.

3 hours ago, p1t1o said:

I know :) I was just being petty, the few times I have tried MP gaming I have met too many of "CoD types", if you know what I mean, regardless of the game being played. I can see the attraction, but its not for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I do play online quite a lot, and come across them quite frequently. Unfortunately, I can't ban someone for being too competitive xD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.